Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

As anyone who has lived in Seattle metro (as I have) knows Boeing and the aerospace industry is a fickle employer. Their layoff slopes have been stunning historically, their ramp ups are typically gradual.

This 2005 link from the Seattle Times discusses the situation better than I ever could: Local News | The Decline of Boeing Jobs | Seattle Times Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
As anyone who has lived in Seattle metro (as I have) knows Boeing and the aerospace industry is a fickle employer. Their layoff slopes have been stunning historically, their ramp ups are typically gradual.

This 2005 link from the Seattle Times discusses the situation better than I ever could: Local News | The Decline of Boeing Jobs | Seattle Times Newspaper
Their Gresham plant was the same way. It stopped becoming news when Boeing laid people off at the Gresham Plant.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
I've often wondered this too. Say I make $100k per year. In Oregon, I'd be paying 9.8% (or $9,800) in income tax (but no sales tax). Now, in Seattle, I have a 9.8% *sales* tax (but no income tax) -- which means I would have to *spend* $100,000 a year to equal that $9,800. For me, personally, there is NO WAY that I spend $100,000 a year on taxable goods/services. Or am I missing something here?
Yes. You're missing the fact that all other forms of taxation are most likely not equal. Sales tax vs. Income tax are just one tax (per state) amongst many.

We all need to face it. The state needs to get the money out of us somehow. One state is not going to need (or maybe I should say want) exponentially less than the next.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 PM

187 posts, read 576,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yes. You're missing the fact that all other forms of taxation are most likely not equal. Sales tax vs. Income tax are just one tax (per state) amongst many.

We all need to face it. The state needs to get the money out of us somehow. One state is not going to need (or maybe I should say want) exponentially less than the next.
True. I guess for me, as a non-home owner, I prefer being taxed through my sales (consumption) rather than the state helping themselves to my paycheck.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
I maintain Oregon is missing out on an important source of revenue with their lack of a sales tax. That being tourists, and those just passing through. They pay nothing for what they buy in most cases. They don't live in Oregon so they pay no state income taxes, so one could argue they owe Oregon nothing in taxes. They do add wear and tear to Oregon's roads, however small this ends up being.

However, and this is a big however, think how much Oregon could generate if these tourists and passers-through might add. Most in this category wouldn't mind paying, or at the very least, they would have no choice. Examples of this abound from states all around the country. I don't believe Oregon has exemptions for this type of thing, but WA does allow OR residents to not pay WA sales tax on purchases in WA. Few ask for the exemption, however, unless it is a big purchase. When I lived in Oregon and purchased something in WA, my cutoff was about $50.00. Anything less was not worth it.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 PM

56 posts, read 117,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Don't overlook the fact that Washington assesses a number of excise taxes, if you sell a home in Vancouver you pay 1.78% excise tax on the gross sale (realtor fees, closing costs are additional). That may not seem much but remember that sales tax has already been paid on the land, labor and materials when it was constructed.
Would you happen to know if you must pay state sales tax on a housing purchase in Washington state when you buy a resale house?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
True. I guess for me, as a non-home owner, I prefer being taxed through my sales (consumption) rather than the state helping themselves to my paycheck.
That's your choice. They're going to get it, wherever it comes from.

You do realize you pay property tax via your rent, don't you.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I maintain Oregon is missing out on an important source of revenue with their lack of a sales tax. That being tourists, and those just passing through. They pay nothing for what they buy in most cases. They don't live in Oregon so they pay no state income taxes, so one could argue they owe Oregon nothing in taxes. They do add wear and tear to Oregon's roads, however small this ends up being.

However, and this is a big however, think how much Oregon could generate if these tourists and passers-through might add. Most in this category wouldn't mind paying, or at the very least, they would have no choice. Examples of this abound from states all around the country. I don't believe Oregon has exemptions for this type of thing, but WA does allow OR residents to not pay WA sales tax on purchases in WA. Few ask for the exemption, however, unless it is a big purchase. When I lived in Oregon and purchased something in WA, my cutoff was about $50.00. Anything less was not worth it.
Tourists might not mind paying it, bur Oregonians do. They've voted it down numerous times.

Tourists pay other types of taxes. They're not getting by scot-free. They do buy gas and rent hotel rooms.

My experience with the Oregon tax exemption in Washington is ... unless it's somewhere right along the Oregon border, the merchants have such a conniption over giving it, it's just not worth the hassle. But, it's been a long time since I bought anything in Washington.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Tourists might not mind paying it, bur Oregonians do. They've voted it down numerous times.

Tourists pay other types of taxes. They're not getting by scot-free. They do buy gas and rent hotel rooms.

My experience with the Oregon tax exemption in Washington is ... unless it's somewhere right along the Oregon border, the merchants have such a conniption over giving it, it's just not worth the hassle. But, it's been a long time since I bought anything in Washington.
Places way north like Seattle don't usually have the paperwork on hand to fill out, or the cashiers don't know how. Cabellos and IKEA will both gladly take it off for you and the cashiers are well trained in how to do so. In fact the Cabellos cashiers are almost militant about it. I don't care about the tax on a five dollar item, but they still insist on taking it off.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 PM

187 posts, read 576,839 times
Quote:
That's your choice. They're going to get it, wherever it comes from.

You do realize you pay property tax via your rent, don't you.
True, the property owner pays the tax and they are recouping that through my rent. But the same can be said about people renting in Oregon or any state for that matter. My point is, I get to keep more of my paycheck living in Washington, than I would in Oregon. If choose to buy more, I will pay more in taxes (groceries are tax free). If I chose to save more, I will pay less in taxes. The same cannot be said about living in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland