Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 PM

2,669 posts, read 3,869,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
It seems to me that the main message of OWS is not "give us lots of money," but rather "Get Corporations out of Government." I'm personally including Union Groups and other special interests in that list, although I'm sure OWS in general isn't.

When Corporations throw large amounts of money at Government Officials, and the will of the majority of "the people" is violated, you know something is wrong. When Corporations spend millions of dollars to influence public votes for relatively minor issues, you know something is wrong. When Corporations spend millions to change EPA regulations, instead of cleaning up their mess, you know something is wrong. When Corporations cut worker hours to get around providing Federally Mandated health care, and then provide brochures on how to get "free" public health care in the local communities, you know something is wrong.
No, no no!
What your examples point to are excessive and intrusive attempts by bureaucrats and government to insert their agenda into others business and life, not visa versa.

There seems to be a slant with most of the posters on this site:
Gov't regulation is good unless proven bad and,
Private enterprise is bad, unless proven good.

I would contend that for the vast majority of people, the opposite is true.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM

286 posts, read 521,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
No, no no!
What your examples point to are excessive and intrusive attempts by bureaucrats and government to insert their agenda into others business and life, not visa versa.

I would contend that for the vast majority of people, the opposite is true.
I would contend that it's only a vast majority of conservatives who have a problem with financial, health and safety regulations.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:46 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,466,505 times
Quote:
Quote:
I would contend that it's only a vast majority of conservatives who have a problem with financial, health and safety regulations.
Drivel. Makes as much sense as this (which I found on another CD forum discussing OP):

Old 11-23-2011, 04:52 PM

343 posts, read 693,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Drivel. Makes as much sense as this (which I found on another CD forum discussing OP):
I guess that comic depends on which channel you're watching.

Almost looks like something from Jack Chick.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 PM

464 posts, read 833,603 times
Default Well, if you are an avid FOX TV news fan...

...than you might as well admit that you enjoy watching filtered and skewed news because it makes you feel like a good American (and unable to think on your own).

Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
...than you might as well admit that you enjoy watching filtered and skewed news because it makes you feel like a good American (and unable to think on your own).
Fun read:

Fox News Viewers Know Less Than People Who Don't Watch Any News: Study

There's a reason why congress is constantly cutting the education budget.

FY11 DoE Budget: $71 billion
FY11 DoD Budget: $549 billion

No wonder corporations are getting away with all this. We're too dumb as a country to realize what a lobbyist is.

Last edited by ramedud; 11-23-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,466,505 times
That isn't even on the level of bizarreness that is a ChickTract.
Read one:
The Awful Truth

Try this, make believe the cartoon isn't captioned.
What would you "independent" thinkers say of it then?
Honestly, who had the better approach and managed to make it to a level that had impact, whether you agreed with it or not?
Maybe they haven't really accomplished anything concrete, but they are in a position where they can, if they do it right.

Occupy Portland's momentum has pretty much died, just like most of the other Occupy movements, because they haven't the "fill in the blank".
BTW, If you have already made up your mind as to my stance on the Occupy movement. and think I am totally against it... please read or reread my posts in this thread.

As far as the cartoon goes, did that come from Fox News?
That's not where I found it.
Also, please tell me what news you watch or read that isn't "filtered and skewed" so I can watch or read it too.
Please don't tell me you don't watch any news, or not let whatever news you watch influence your decisions, 'cause that is just silly.
There is no such thing as pure objectiveness in the "news" arena.
What superpowered credentials do you have that you can decide for the rest of us what news is "filtered and skewed"?

I'd love to get it right like you have...
Please give us a real opinion, not some canned "anti-Fox News crap" that anybody can spout to make themselves look like they know what they are talking about but in reality means absolutely nothing.

And as far as the DoD budget, get out of your koombaya fantasy land and look at what is actually going on in this world.
Too bad this world isn't as simple as many would like it to be.
Like I said before, man's basic nature is not to promote peace with our fellow man, it's to make war to protect what is considered "ours" and to take from the next guy if we can.
If we didn't protect our own we wouldn't have a country to call our own.
But I totally agree with Eisenhower's warning.
Something that might be interesting to find out about the education budget would be the percentage of control and expense that the individual States have concerning education costs versus that of the Federal government.
Maybe there's more to that number than just an out of context black and white, side by side comparison?

And for the record I AM NOT rich, employed by a big corporation, conservative, liberal, a jingoist, a trust funder, a propagandist or somebody that takes FOX news at face value.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 11-23-2011 at 08:04 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 PM

This ties in with my last post.

This is where critical thinking skills come in. Most people don't have these skills because they never bothered to learn them in high school; and even if they did they didn't retain any of it. Kind of like the folks who say "Yeah I took 5 years of Spanish in HS, don't know a lick of it though. Como ays tahh???"

Education is terrible in our country, and this is reflected in the majority of Americans who just aren't critical thinkers. All the cable and syndicated networks are well aware of this, and are making a killing because of it. People gobble it up because "I heard it on tv, so it must be true!" Why do you think advertising works so well? Coke spends millions every year, yet people still continue to drink the same toxic stuff year after year. Copious doses of HFCS and artificial colors. Early Type 2 diabetes, anyone?

Our attention span is so short-lived we really do gobble up whatever the next talking head says; regardless of news medium. The premise is ridiculous, but yes, I think it's that bad in the United States of Amnesia.

In the end a non-thinking mind is a clinically dead mind. It's really up to you to have an educated perspective, and decide what's truth and what isn't.

PS- The link I posted isn't "some canned anti-Fox News crap'", lol. Only if it were that simple! It was an actual statistical study based on sample populations representing Fox News viewers and those who don't watch news. I'm fairly certain outliers were eliminated to prevent skewed results (not that it would have helped, lol).

Last edited by ramedud; 11-23-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,566,221 times
Quote:
Also, please tell me what news you watch or read that isn't "filtered and skewed" so I can watch or read it too.
The Week Magazine: Political News and Cartoons, Current Events and Entertainment Online

Check it out, it's probably the most balanced thing out there (as it is a collection of over 300 media sources from all over the world).

Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
And as far as the DoD budget, get out of your koombaya fantasy land and look at what is actually going on in this world.
Too bad this world isn't as simple as many would like it to be.
Like I said before, man's basic nature is not to promote peace with our fellow man, it's to make war to protect what is considered "ours" and to take from the next guy if we can.
If we didn't protect our own we wouldn't have a country to call our own.
But I totally agree with Eisenhower's warning.

So fight more and get dumb? Doesn't sound too good.

PS- I got your message pdxMIKEpdx, no offense intended.

PPS- This is my favorite Chick tract parody

Last edited by ramedud; 11-23-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland