Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:12 PM

181 posts, read 455,611 times

Advertisements

I've been fueling up at Space Age lately because it's always 10 or more cents cheaper per gallon than all of the "name brand" gas stations, but I feel like there must be a reason for this. Does anyone know if there's a significant difference in fuel quality? I don't want to end up damaging my car...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
There is no difference in fuel quality.

Back in the 1980's it might have been a problem, but with the globalization and standardization of oil supply lines it's not an issue any longer.

That is why my grandfather used to purchase from a single refinery in Texas via ARCO back then, he was looking for the high quality stuff.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Isn't ARCO still using more ethanol in its gas, allowing it to be cheaper (and many would say, lower quality)?

Space Age doesn't seem to to be too bad in our car. Usually their cheaper price is for cash purchase (at least around us).

Old 12-12-2011, 01:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Isn't ARCO still using more ethanol in its gas, allowing it to be cheaper (and many would say, lower quality)?
I don't know about the ethanol. The reason I've heard for their cheaper gas is that they don't accept credit cards, and therefore don't need to pay fees to the credit-card companies.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post

Space Age doesn't seem to to be too bad in our car. Usually their cheaper price is for cash purchase (at least around us).
My understanding is that in modern (post 2000) cars, you want more Ethanol (with an upper limit of course,) as it helps the car be even more efficient in combustion.

But the combustion rate is also affected by things like weather and altitude, so you'll see different Ethanol rates in different parts of the country to help offset issues related to location and climate.

As most automobile gasoline is refined out side of the country and shipped in, it's possible that ARCO has more Ethanol then other brands based on what type of crude oil they're starting from, what type of refinery it's being refined in, and what other products the refinery is trying to get out at the same time.

As for the price, ARCO's website says:

"Why is ARCO gasoline usually less expensive than other brands?

For many years, ARCO has had a unique business approach. Among major gasoline brands we're known as a "high-volume, low-cost retailer." More simply stated, the more efficient the company is, the more our customers save. And since we sell nearly twice as much gas at the average ARCO station as the industry average, our customers usually save 5 to 10 cents per gallon on average compared to other major brands.*
* Savings based on October 2010 – September 2011 Lundberg Price Survey weighted average industry differential street price for all three gasoline grades in the following markets: Los Angeles, San Diego, Bakersfield, San Francisco, Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno, Portland and Seattle."

Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Well I've got a 1996 car, so I guess I'll continue to avoid ARCO.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 PM

9 posts, read 55,791 times
If you have a fuel injected car that is even somewhat new (96 would be somewhat new, they have been doing ethanol in gas for a while now), I wouldn't worry about the ethanol content of the gas (Unless you pick up the 85% ethanol/15% gasoline mix that is ). Your car is smart enough to go 'holy snap, we need more/less gas to make up for the ethanol content' with all its sensors and its itty bitty brain.
Huh...italics...and it won't let me change it..oh well...
Even with my carburetor powered beast of a ford with a 460 in it doesn't mind the ethanol content. The only thing I worry about is my lack of driving and the worry that the gas will separate in the tank due to the ethanol.
If you are really interested in it, google it up. There is more information then you ever really wanted to know about the addition of ethanol to gasoline out there.
And yes for that second to last post. High proof alcohol (which is ethanol (190 proof and up)) is actually a hell of a lot better fuel then gasoline, so that is why there is a profusion of those flexfuel cars, which can take gasoline, gasahol, gasahal, methanol and ethanol...(I think I got those all right, did it off the top of my head)....good luck finding any of those at the pump though

Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 PM

181 posts, read 455,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
I don't know about the ethanol. The reason I've heard for their cheaper gas is that they don't accept credit cards, and therefore don't need to pay fees to the credit-card companies.
Hrm. I've only been to one Space Age location that didn't accept credit cards. It was in outer SE, so I figured that had something to do with it.

I did some Googling and found stuff about "top tier" gas vs. cheap-o gas. Apparently the only difference between them is the additives that are mixed in. The additives in name-brand gas supposedly keep engines clean and healthy. There are a handful of car manufacturers that recommend top tier gas (BMW, Audi, VW, Honda, Toyota, and GM). Here's an article for those who are curious: Is name-brand gasoline worth a premium price? - Orlando Sentinel

While I'm not 100% convinced that name-brand gas is inherently better, I think I'm going to stop going to Space Age. Might as well play it safe since the off-brand stations only save me a dollar or two every time I fill up. (I only fill up about once a month, so we're talking about savings of less than $30 per year.)

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,517 times
I know the Space Age on 212 in Clackamas takes credit cards.

My understanding is that you should stick w/the top gasolines (e.g. Shell, BP, 76, Texaco), as their additives (see above) are apparently better at helping your car's performance, but still create build-up in the long run. However, I've also heard that you should switch between two top gasolines roughly every 3-5k (every oil change is a good indicator), so once set of additives can scrub away any build-up left by the last set of additives.

Since the prices along 212 in Clackamas are all about the same (I think Space Age is like $0.02 cheaper/gallon), we've been filling up with 76 lately, and next oil change, we'll switch to Shell. Good enough for me & my vehicles, I suppose.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
It was in outer SE, so I figured that had something to do with it.
What are you saying here?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland