Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The argument is really a moot point anyways, in twenty years it'll be another breed. Anyone remember when it was German Shepards? Then Dobermans? And then it was Rottweilers. Now it's Pit Bulls. Hopefully one of these days it'll be Chihuahuas, those are mean dog!
My co-worker's daughter and her boyfriend have a German Shepard puppy and are having a hard time finding an apartment which will allow her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
And the funny thing is...............German Shepherds are used for guiding the blind.
Not so much any more though, I guess.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Back to the issue of pitbulls in apartments, I am a landlord and I don't take them because my insurance won't cover them. I feel no obligation to shop around and change my insurance so that tenants can have the breed of dog that they want. Sorry, not going to happen.

I hear lots of "It's not the dog, it's the owner" statements about pitbulls and I agree entirely. Approximately 95% of the pitbull owners that apply to rent from me are people I would never accept, dog or not. It is a lot easier to say "Sorry, I can't take your dog" than it is to say, "Gee, no, I can tell just by looking at you that you are a real loser." Blame the dog; it's easier. To reject the person I must do and pay for a full screening. I can reject the dog just because of its breed.

I do know wonderful people who own American Staffordshire Terriers (the pit bull of the AKC). Their dogs are fabulous. I'd stick my head inside their mouth without the least concern. However, none of those people are tenants. They are all home owners.

Of the pitbull owning tenants, a few of them are decent people with good dogs. Many of them are druggy with criminal records and really bad credit (basically thieves) and no landlord references.

About 1/2 of the pitbulls I meet that want to rent, I would happily take the dog if I didn't have to take the owner with it. About 1/2 the pitbulls I meet, I consider to be potentially dangerous (These are tenant dogs or animal control contact, about 50/50 good/bad, but I'm seeing the worst of the worst, so I don't think the breed is 50/50. However, there is a pretty good sized handful of unstable pitbulls out there and they belong to unstable looking people.

So, sorry, pitbull owners. If you are a good person with a good dog, you are paying for the bad behavior of other people. Still, I am not going to rent to you, unfair or not.

Oregonwoodsmoke- You are being EXTREMELY BIASED. If you owned a pitbull you would understand much better. The people that own pitbulls are not bad people or LOSERS. I happen to be a pitbull owner of 3 pitbulls and my husband and I are very successful in life. He owns his own company and I am in school full time while working full time. So please do not consider us all bad people just because you see our dog. All dogs bite. Just because he is a PITBULL does not mean that he is agressive. He is actually the complete opposite. You should not discriminate because of the dog. That is bad business. You posting this could loose you a lot of great potential renters. You should do more research before you just reject animals. What if someone blamed you for the crime done because it was easier? Do not be a snake. Just because you have the previlage to reject the dog does not mean you should. Try a pet interview first as some apartments do. You need to stop judging people based on their dogs. Pitbulls are our family. Iv been bit on my face by a little dog chihuahua mix with wiener dog. Any dog can attack or bite. Rumors about pitbulls have made everyone against them. But guess what? My dogs are better than a lot of children I have known. Please just open your eyes more and stop being so biased. Because their are owners out there with pitbulls who have a wonderful faithful relationship with their dog and take great care of them.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I do not trust a pit bull or pit bull mix. Their deadly and serious injury attacks are not rumors.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmelisall View Post
Wow thats quite a stereotype...

I have o criminal record, am not an addict, I am a mental health social worker with 2 lovely, well behaved, high achieving children, my boyfriend is a landscaper, we have a cat and several reptiles, AND... get this... a PURE BRED BLUE NOSE PUT BULL!

I also have a clean driving record and happen to be authorized by the state of Oregon to work with vulnerable children...
AND I know SEVERAL other pit bull owners who are much like myself

stereotyping in such a way is as bad a racism...
FYI there is no such thing as a pure bred blue nose pit bull. Pit bulls are not pure bred dogs. The closest thing to a pure bred pit bull is an American Pit Bull Terrier or an American Staffordshire Terrier. If you can't register it with the AKC, it's not a pure bred dog.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:36 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstc View Post
Pit Bull supporters always state that their pit bull is so loving and caring. But guess what, so is every other dog breed. Why take the risk?

I've always thought it was funny when they say "OMG pit bulls are soooooo loyal!".

Loyalty isn't a pit bull thing, it's a dog thing.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Here are the serious dog bite stats for Portland metro: Pit bulls are No. 1 in Portland-area bite investigations, data show | OregonLive.com

Old 04-16-2016, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 747 times
Default bully breed really? raised by bullies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Aggression by proxy! You nailed it! Apologists for the breed see themselves in either the dog or the dog's owners. It's just like sicko school 'administrators' favoring bullies and persecuting bullying victims. In both instances it is the aggressor with whom the sociopath identifies.

They don't call them "Bully Breeds" for nothing. They are breeds favored by bullies, and frequently used for Bullying by Proxy.

And you're right. Taking a look at the dog is taking a look at the Owner. I see a Schnauzer, and I see a harmless neurotic, introverted Owner who'd be a good tenant. I see a Pit Bull, and I see an Owner who's best avoided, and who will create a hostile environment for my other tenants. (Actually, we sold our residential buildings over a decade back. But my years as a Landlady taught me a lot of valuable lessons about people.)

Personally, I'd advise the OP to move to a place where a Pitt Bulls and their owners will fit in. I'd suggest Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia, Flint, Camden, Baltimore, San Bernardino, Laredo, Memphis, or Oakland. You could be moved to Oakland in a snap! I just don't think your prospects for long-term happiness and acceptance are that great in Portland.
What a crock of poop.. i have had 3 bull terriers (what you call pit bulls). They were all good dogs who played with my children and protected them. One of my dogs lost his life protecting our family . It is my opinion that unless you've actually had experience raising a dog they respond just like people. YOu mistreat them or abuse they respond negatively.. YOU show them love and treat them well they grow into wonderful pet and companions. The bullies raise or have them must be a myth or inaccurate cause i am not a bully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland