Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,528 times

Advertisements

Well, maybe this will help her mood out:

NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein

(She can nuke the town all she wants now. No ideas on how long it takes the warhead to commute to the chosen point of detonation, though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
I don't understand how this can even make sense.

If you start at any point remotely considered "in" Portland and drive for 30 minutes...you are not "in" Portland anymore. Not in any sense whatsoever.

I'm having a hard time believing this person has even looked at a map of Portland let alone been here.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Agree

Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM

73 posts, read 183,534 times
Well, to be fair, it takes around 30 minutes to get from my house in St. Johns to approximately 30th and Hawthorne. Both are in Portland. Somehow that manages to be my worst commute though. I can get to Hillsboro in just about the same time.

Oh yeah, and lol.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post

If you start at any point remotely considered "in" Portland and drive for 30 minutes...you are not "in" Portland anymore. Not in any sense whatsoever.

I'm having a hard time believing this person has even looked at a map of Portland let alone been here.
Yeah it's pretty comical.

A few weeks ago I had to drive from my office downtown to about NE 156th and Marine Drive for an autoglass repair. That's close to the eastern border of Portland.

It was during the rush hour commute and in the rain. It took me about 35-40 minutes and that was with bad traffic and taking surface streets.

You can basically cirumnavigate the entire Oregon side of the Portland Metro area in about 3 hours if you drove from Forest Grove to St. Johns then drove along the Columbia to Troutdale then down to Boring then drove to Oregon City than drove to Tigard and then back to Forest Grove. Maybe that's what the OP was doing...

Forest Grove, OR to Forest Grove, OR - Google Maps

Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM

638 posts, read 1,178,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You can basically cirumnavigate the entire Oregon side of the Portland Metro area in about 3 hours if you drove from Forest Grove to St. Johns then drove along the Columbia to Troutdale then down to Boring then drove to Oregon City than drove to Tigard and then back to Forest Grove. Maybe that's what the OP was doing...
Now that's a commute!

Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj85 View Post
And I'm now looking at possibly going back to Wisconsin after completing school that I enrolled in this month.
Good to hear that you've gone back to school.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:14 PM

343 posts, read 692,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post

I also agree, especially the last sentence.

Then again this is also why I love Portland, you really can be anywhere in 20 minutes tops.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 AM

94 posts, read 182,835 times
Hi, thanks for all the comments lol. Sry about not following up, been very busy lately. & Thought the Nukemap was really funny, started bursting out laughing lol.

So guess what? I'm going to School in Portland, actually Hillsboro at the end of the month for a month. Afterwards my new job will be somewhere in Portland!!! lol.
And thanks for letting me know about Portland, feel better about going back up there
Oh & I guess my old roommate was lieing about commute times, but that's really good to know. I was really nervous about commute times lol.

& Yes I tend to laugh it off when I'm nervous or upset or in a sticky spot, or need a breaker. If they don't like it they can just shove it.
& for those asking I'm 27yrs old & have lived in small towns all my life including Colorado, Wisconsin to Montana & Wyoming.
Thanks for all the comments, made my morning lol.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj85 View Post
Oh & I guess my old roommate was lieing about commute times, but that's really good to know. I was really nervous about commute times lol.
You said your commute was 1 to 1½ hours - not that someone told you theirs was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland