Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,311,322 times

Advertisements

People like to think Portland is not condensed but go across the river and the SE side of Portland is very sprawled. Sprawled enough that I have to wonder if the SE isn't considered a "burb" in itself because it certainly could be. And much of it is not particularly pretty.

There is nothing wrong with Beaverton. But if you want to live near mass transit, AVOID SOUTH BEAVERTON! Few people in that region find it worth it to drive to a Max station.

In fact, I think you should also check into the 185th area in Hillsboro-Beaverton (jurisdictions split here). I don't know what rates run, but there is plenty of multi-family housing around the Evergreen area, and lots of shopping. Willowcreek on 185th is one of the main transit centers for both Max and busses ~ very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,564,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
People like to think Portland is not condensed but go across the river and the SE side of Portland is very sprawled. Sprawled enough that I have to wonder if the SE isn't considered a "burb" in itself because it certainly could be. And much of it is not particularly pretty.
Are you talking Clackamas? Gresham?
Most of SE Portland is still pretty close to down town. I consider Dallas VERY sprawled. The suburb of Cleveland I grew up in (which was 20+ miles from downtown) was VERY sprawled. LA is VERY sprawled.
Portland, not so much. (granted Portland is much smaller).

I live in the SE, and I don't think Portland is that sprawling.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 AM

381 posts, read 1,017,046 times
Not sure about the other towns, but the reason LA is "very sprawled" is because they packed a whole lot of people into that space. It only starts getting sprawled once you start hoofing it west on 101 into Ventura County, or north along 5 towards the Grapevine, etc. All the in-between stuff is about as densely packed as the east side of the Willamette.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Quote:
People like to think Portland is not condensed but go across the river and the SE side of Portland is very sprawled. Sprawled enough that I have to wonder if the SE isn't considered a "burp" in itself because it certainly could be. And much of it is not particularly pretty.

There is nothing wrong with Beaverton. But if you want to live near mass transit, AVOID SOUTH BEAVERTON! Few people in that region find it worth it to drive to a Max station.

In fact, I think you should also check into the 185th area in Hillsboro-Beaverton (jurisdictions split here). I don't know what rates run, but there is plenty of multi-family housing around the Evergreen area, and lots of shopping. Willowcreek on 185th is one of the main transit centers for both Max and busses ~ very convenient.
I live SE and that doesn't sound like a description of my area. There is a beautiful park, Laurelhurst, not far from me and other smaller ones as well spread all throughout the area. My neighborhood as many others have large deciduous trees, flowers, and some gardens. It is beautiful in the springtime.

Ladd's Addition as well as Eastmoreland has beautiful homes and gardens.

None of this even resembles most suburbs. Actually, my SE neighborhood and many others like it remind me of any typical city neighborhood like Chicago where I grew up or Cleveland. But prettier with smaller buildings.

I think of the area as anything but sprawled as suburbs are sprawled.

But you know, looking over this entire thread and thinking of others that are asking about various areas in Portland or the Portland areas I cannot say more strongly, "Absolutely come and look around for yourself, that is the only way you can determine what is right for you."

Otherwise you can drive yourself crazy with totally different opinons about the same places.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 13,026 times
Yes! We lived in a small two bedroom house near 28th and East Burnside and our rent was $875.00 a month. We moved out of that house last May.
Keep searching, you'll find what you're looking for.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,028,746 times
Quote:
... if you want to live near mass transit, AVOID SOUTH BEAVERTON! Few people in that region find it worth it to drive to a Max station.
But South Beaverton still has an express bus to downtown. Most of the others went away when MAX arrived.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:40 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,311,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
But South Beaverton still has an express bus to downtown. Most of the others went away when MAX arrived.
Hopefully it runs more often than it used to?

There is also the 62 that goes through Scholls, then Murray, and stops at the Millikan Transit Center. But that one, of course, is a main artery.

This ended with the Max Blueline, but Bus 57 used to route to downtown from Forest Grove, and I think they need to re-establish it during the rush hours. I think many people would just as soon stay in the bus and proceed on than transfer to Max, which gets mighty congested during certain times.

'Guess I kinda' trailed off the topic. Oops!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM

63 posts, read 80,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I live SE and that doesn't sound like a description of my area. There is a beautiful park, Laurelhurst, not far from me and other smaller ones as well spread all throughout the area. My neighborhood as many others have large deciduous trees, flowers, and some gardens. It is beautiful in the springtime.

Ladd's Addition as well as Eastmoreland has beautiful homes and gardens.

None of this even resembles most suburbs. Actually, my SE neighborhood and many others like it remind me of any typical city neighborhood like Chicago where I grew up or Cleveland. But prettier with smaller buildings.

I think of the area as anything but sprawled as suburbs are sprawled.

But you know, looking over this entire thread and thinking of others that are asking about various areas in Portland or the Portland areas I cannot say more strongly, "Absolutely come and look around for yourself, that is the only way you can determine what is right for you."

Otherwise you can drive yourself crazy with totally different opinons about the same places.
Aye, I live in the same area of SE Portland (a few blocks from Laurelhurst park) and would also agree it's not a very accurate assessment of here or the surrounding neighborhoods... I mentally associate sprawl w/ the level of automobile dependency of a community I guess... Many people walk, bike, or drive to work... and there's a fairly diverse amount of shopping and dining between Hawthorne & Belmont, bars & concert venues etc... Having lived in various neighborhoods of Seattle & Columbus, OH I feel like most of Portland is more easily accessible here than either of those cities.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM

170 posts, read 194,094 times
good luck, i'm looking for a 3-4 br ranch for about the same and i'm not having any luck. on a fixed income and desperate to move, but it ain't happening. the news said it was a landlord's market here and the occupancy rate of rentals is very high. in other words people are NOT moving. i've gotta get by may (my deadline), it's depressing.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 PM

543 posts, read 1,147,076 times
The homes in Beaverton are in more mature neighborhoods. Lots of ranches on nice lots, two story homes, some winding streets with trees - Not really that "sterile" look for the most part.

If you want to check out how close any address is to coffee shops or places to explore, go here:

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address This site will show you exactly what is close by to any address.

It's especially great if your residence and work place are pretty close to each other.

As far as sprawl... When I think of sprawl, I think of areas with tons of vacant lots that were just skipped over and construction and buildings that just go on and on. Atlanta, Indianapolis, Kansas City and some of the other towns mentioned have sprawl. Portland, doesn't have many vacant or skipped lots. I am a big fan of the Urban growth boundary that allows us to access countryside and wilderness quickly yet keeps property holding its value because of the condensing aspects of the Boundary.

I live out beyond I-205 and love it here. Streets are on grids, no major traffic issues. Close to Powell Butte Park, the springwater trail, and not too far from OxBow Park and the Gorge.

Some of the areas are a bit more threadbare out here, but lots average about .25 acres and are great for gardening.

Gresham and Troutdale have some really nice areas - although they are significantly (especially Troutdale) windier because of the Columbia Gorge East wind.

Oregon reminds me of the 7 blind men describing an elephant. Each one is feeling a part of the entire beast. One describes the ear, another, the tail, etc... different realities, but all correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland