Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM

430 posts, read 1,695,084 times

Advertisements

Trying to scope out things to do with visitors coming to town though I'm new to the area and don't know where anything is: We've been to the food carts on SW 9th and SW Alder. My understanding is that there is another group of carts, with the former Creme de la Creme being part of them. So I looked up the address on Belmont, drove around and couldn't find anything. Where are they? Are there outdoor tables, or (very hopeful!) restrooms, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
Trying to scope out things to do with visitors coming to town though I'm new to the area and don't know where anything is: We've been to the food carts on SW 9th and SW Alder. My understanding is that there is another group of carts, with the former Creme de la Creme being part of them. So I looked up the address on Belmont, drove around and couldn't find anything. Where are they? Are there outdoor tables, or (very hopeful!) restrooms, perhaps?
Are you talking about the carts at SE 43rd and Belmont?

If you want to find a cart, try this site--they've got info on the fast changing and moving world of Portland food carts. There's more food cart pods these days than I can keep track of.

Food Carts Portland

Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Yeah, foodcarts and cart pods are all over the city.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 PM

73 posts, read 183,534 times
There's a group of food carts at 12th and Hawthorne, and another one at Greeley and Killingsworth. Those are two that I know of offhand, I'm sure there are more.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM

43 posts, read 106,456 times
Some food cart placces:

82nd ave north of johnson creek (on the (east side of 82nd)
39th and Foster (NE corner)

Old 02-27-2012, 03:55 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yeah, foodcarts and cart pods are all over the city.
...and the Internet!

https://vimeo.com/search?q=food+cart+favorites

Those videos are wonderful, I recommend checking them out. For finding carts while out and about town, try one of the many smartphone apps that exist for that purpose. I like this one:

Cart Compass

Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
I think you got some of the major ones.
Others include:
There is a big one to the NW of PSU.
There is one at about 50th and Division (very large).
There are a couple other along division.
Foster and 52nd. is a continually struggling pod, though I need to go there and try Holy Cannoli.

The one at 82nd and the Springwater Corridor is called Cartlandia, and it's mainly trying to draw off the bike path crowd, so most of the arts are only open on the weekend.

I would also classify most of Alberta St. NE as a "pod", at least there are a lot of carts there, including the amazing Grilled Cheese Grille.

For my money Hawthorne and 12th is THE pod of the city. Many of the most famous carts in the city are there.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM

107 posts, read 278,495 times
This is a good food cart resource:
Food Carts Portland

Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I think you got some of the major ones.
Others include:
There is a big one to the NW of PSU.
There is one at about 50th and Division (very large).
There are a couple other along division.
Foster and 52nd. is a continually struggling pod, though I need to go there and try Holy Cannoli.

The one at 82nd and the Springwater Corridor is called Cartlandia, and it's mainly trying to draw off the bike path crowd, so most of the arts are only open on the weekend.

I would also classify most of Alberta St. NE as a "pod", at least there are a lot of carts there, including the amazing Grilled Cheese Grille.

For my money Hawthorne and 12th is THE pod of the city. Many of the most famous carts in the city are there.
I just walked through the one on 50th and Division (it's actually a little south of Division if you're looking for it). It does have quite a few carts, a covered eating area and some sort of restrooms in the corner. I had already eaten so I can't tell you how the food is.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
If you just feel like wandering down some main streets, you will find them interspersed with stores and parking lots. Whenever I take a bus from 27th to 39th on Hawthorne, I see one here, one there, one someplace else. They are usually parked in the driveway of a store and there are only one or two of them space permitting.

They seem to come and go though, by the time I get back to the area where one was that I wanted to try it has been replaced by a new one. Belmont also has a few of these too but not as many since there are fewer places for them to park.

The pods have more amenities where there are clusters of food carts and sometimes have port-a-potties and seating. The one on 12th and Hawthorne actually has an ATM machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland