Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 PM

62 posts, read 149,471 times

Advertisements

I will be in the Portland area for 1 free day (noon Saturday to noon Sunday). I am lucky enough to have a business trip to the wine country and have to take my co-worker to the airport at noon Sat. Trying to decide what to do with my free time. Have always wanted to see the northwest coastline. What is Cannon Beach like this time of year? Torn between a beach town and a trip into the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,397 times
Beach? You get the tail end of the awesome winter storms, with occasional breaks of sunlight peeping through. Lots of wind, but nothing like previous months.

It's been snowing in the coastal range all week this week, but both Hwy 26 and Hwy 6 have remained clear enough to drive (note: Hwy 6 is still occasionally requiring snow chains on board the vehicle, or studded snow tires mounted on the wheels, at least while driving over the pass. Not sure if Hwy 26 is doing the same, but I wouldn't be surprised.)

Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
That's a tough decision. A lot of it, I'd say, would depend on where you're from and where you've visited in your life.

It's not the premium time of year to visit either, but my choice would be one of two:

The Columbia Gorge loop: up to Hood River, overnight maybe at Timberline Lodge, and back down to Portland (or the other way around). The Columbia River Gorge is truly awesome. I remember taking a boat ride down the Rhine River, and thinking ... yeah, the castles are nice, but the Columbia Gorge is prettier.

North Coast loop: Drive down Hwy 30 to Astoria, then down the coast to wherever it is you want to head back to Portland from. I personally think Hwy 26 is the prettiest drive. The ocean in the wintertime is actually a lot more scenic than it is in the summer. Wild and windy makes great waves. Astoria has lots of things to visit: Astoria Column, Maritime Museum, Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens.

Both directions I'd say are very dependent on the weather. And that could be anything.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Since you'll be at the airport, I'd suggest heading up the Gorge to Hood River. You can do some wine tasting there in town, eat at one of the several decent places there and be back in Portland by 9pm or so.

EnricoV's North Coast Loop will take a bit longer, but there is some good eating in downtown Astoria, and you would probably enjoy going out to Fort Stevens. If it's a decent day, I'd also suggest going up to the Astoria Column and trying to climb to the top.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
EnricoV's North Coast Loop will take a bit longer, but there is some good eating in downtown Astoria, and you would probably enjoy going out to Fort Stevens. If it's a decent day, I'd also suggest going up to the Astoria Column and trying to climb to the top.
I was looking at either as an overnight trip. I don't see any reason to go back to Portland to spend the night, unless it's necessary for other reasons.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I was looking at either as an overnight trip. I don't see any reason to go back to Portland to spend the night, unless it's necessary for other reasons.
That would be my preference too.

Although is sounds like the OP is here on business, so their hotel may be set in stone. At least that's how my company is when I'm traveling.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 AM

348 posts, read 1,051,610 times
Ironically, I will spend this weekend in Portland (first time for me). I will join my alma mater's chapter group on Friday to cheer for Ohio on TV. What do you suggest for the one day tour (Saturday). I hope Ohio will play again on Sunday. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 AM

348 posts, read 1,051,610 times
Tri-Met One-day Pass is good????

Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 PM

It's more expensive ($27), but you'd also get a tour also with Grey Line's Hop-on Hop-Off Trolly. It also would take you directly to attractions.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerideaf View Post
Ironically, I will spend this weekend in Portland (first time for me). I will join my alma mater's chapter group on Friday to cheer for Ohio on TV. What do you suggest for the one day tour (Saturday). I hope Ohio will play again on Sunday. Thanks.
PS: I'm an Akron grad that now lives in Portland, so I'm rooting for you guys!!! It'd be awesome to see three Ohio teams in the Elite 8!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland