Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times

Advertisements

Well, if it makes the OP feel any better, when I moved to Portland back in the late 70's people were told me I was unwanted because I relocated from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM

128 posts, read 220,694 times
I'm from california...I love it here....I've had a few issues...driving...cuz people can see where ur from....I am aware of the anti CA stuff....I say to that so what. Tons of people move all over the place...there is all kinds of racism...don't care. I am a good person...contribute....for the most part people r friendly....screw the rest...they don't affect my existence....and frankly I don't care if u have a thwarted opinion of californians...in my case u r wrong...we r loving oregon...and plan to live here til we die

Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 AM

286 posts, read 521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Redirection/misdirection. Troll, get a life!!
Seems like a perfectly valid question to me.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
Seems like a perfectly valid question to me.
Isn't it great that we're all allowed to see things differently?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM

170 posts, read 194,024 times
Wink not an isolated case

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard9080 View Post
My wife and I went to Portland and Seattle (from LA) to look for places to live. To scout out house rental prices.

Our only requirement was that we wanted to rent a house. Had to be a house.

We found a hip little area, might have been near the college, I forget but I asked the bartender and some other locals if there was a bulletin board for rentals nearby. It seemed like a place that would have one. She asked me where I was coming from. I said, California. She made a face and said, I can't help you. I thought she was joking, so I said, well we're staying in Washington right now. She said, even worse. And a couple people at the bar were laughing.

Is this attitude prevalent or it is just an isolated case?
came from bay area in 2002, now we're trapped here due to some unfortunate circumstances. your experience in the bar is not an isolated case. i am looking for a house to rent myself and i think you are going to find it difficult. not because you are from cali, but because there ARE no rentals. we're in a house that we've outgrown (sigh) and need something bigger. plus, i am handicapped and need a little more room for my hospital bed, etc. anywho, we're having a difficult time finding just the right fit for us. now you might find something, but be prepared to have to go through property management folks and pay those ridiculous credit check scams. that can be quite costly. say you want to fill out 3 apps on 3 diff houses, plan on paying at least 240 for the privilege of filling out the app, as you gotta have those credit/criminal checks. gone are the days where you look at a house, chat with the owner for a few minutes, fill out the app and wait for the call. it's a landlord's market and i wish you a lot of luck!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM

38 posts, read 225,233 times
I can attest to Nell Plotts's post. I've lived in NM and CO and most of the people from CA that come in are looking for huge homes that cost tons of money because they have it to spend, not because they need it. It makes the cost of housing go up for the other people who don't have the luxury of an engineering job and end up having to move away fom their beloved town because of the rise in cost of living. Plus, most CA-ians drive extremely fast and ride up your butt. I'm not saying you do, but most I've encountered do. It's not something smaller towns want. If you're going to relocate, do like the locals and blend in. No one likes someone who tries to show off and upstage the people who've been there for a while.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM

39 posts, read 117,097 times
There is a certain breed on Native Oregonian that will always act like this. Just ignore them and spend your money and time elsewhere.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM

978 posts, read 1,089,090 times
like how some dogs bark at asians

Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM

892 posts, read 2,393,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This question alone may have caused amusement. With housing as scarce as it is, I don't think you will be finding rental posts in bars. Maybe that is why she said she couldn't help you and not because you are from California.

If you are really looking for rentals in the neighborhood, your best chance is to go and look for "For Rent" signs.
Seriously, I'd laugh at that...hit padmapper or go look for signs. Bulletin boards? What century is this?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire904 View Post
I can attest to Nell Plotts's post. I've lived in NM and CO and most of the people from CA that come in are looking for huge homes that cost tons of money because they have it to spend, not because they need it. It makes the cost of housing go up for the other people who don't have the luxury of an engineering job and end up having to move away fom their beloved town because of the rise in cost of living. Plus, most CA-ians drive extremely fast and ride up your butt. I'm not saying you do, but most I've encountered do. It's not something smaller towns want. If you're going to relocate, do like the locals and blend in. No one likes someone who tries to show off and upstage the people who've been there for a while.
Things change. People used to buy more house than they needed because they thought they were going to make a killing when they sold it. Those days are over. Also, denser populations lead to people spending more time inside, isolated from their neighborhood, and a commuter society leaves them spending the rest of the time isolated in their cars.

As I mentioned before, the only problem with Californians is that there are 37 million of them. It makes them sick. Some of them recover when they move out of the cesspool, others never do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland