Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 PM

47 posts, read 241,222 times

Advertisements

What does this mean, salvaged title. Can you register and insure a car with a salvaged title??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
It means that it's been in an accident, had flood damage or something similar. I don't remember all the details but I remember reading something about Oregon law that allowed people from other states to dump their totaled cars on Oregon where they could be sold with salvaged titles, hence why there are so many here. I don't know the specifics but I think it depends on the insurance co. if you can insure it or not. I'd avoid a salvaged title in any case if you can help it!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
More than just an accident, it means that at one point the car was declared an insurance loss and sold for scrap or as a rebuilder. I think the rule is 75% of value is deemed "lost" - if a used car was worth $2500 to start with, that might not mean much. If a used car was worth $20,000, that's significant damage.

A car dealer is required by law to be very upfront about a salvage title. If you just bought a car from a licensed dealer and were "surprised" by a salvage title, you might have some recourse for getting your money back. There is a sort of a cottage industry in the Portland area of people who buy "rebuilders," fix them up and sell them private party, and that's all much less straightforward.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 PM

what about a "branded" title, is that the same thing? I've just never come across these things. is there no way to tell if you're not told??

thanks for the replies by the way....

Old 09-20-2007, 09:00 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanityincredibly View Post
what about a "branded" title, is that the same thing? I've just never come across these things. is there no way to tell if you're not told??

thanks for the replies by the way....
Branded is the same thing as salvage. There are definitely disclosure laws in Oregon, although private party sales don't quite fall under the same strict requirements. Buying a used car, it's a very good idea to ask direct questions about the title - is the seller in complete possession of the title in their name, and is it a salvage title.

You can also try a commercial service, like Carfax, where you enter the VIN and they'll tell you the state of the title. I wouldn't necessarily trust Carfax, except in the negative - if they tell you a car has a salvage title, they are likely very correct. A car from another state, brought into Oregon, can be problematic, though, as some states don't have disclosure laws or salvage laws.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM

well, i guess now i know. thank you. i guess i'll have to know what to look for physically on the car when i look at it too. we'll be there in 18 days to start looking for a car/work/the answer. no, not really the answer, just a new start......anyway we're looking forward to it.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 PM

23 posts, read 157,852 times
I had a salvage car that ran and worked great for 10 years until I resold it. As long as everything seems to be in order on the car, you'll be fine with it.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Yeah until you get in an accident and the car doesn't hold up!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM

3 posts, read 25,835 times
Does anyone know where to find a picture of a rebranded or salvage Oregon title looks like? I have seen and own titles that do not have this designation. I recently was looking at a used car to buy and noticed something different on the title for that car but wasn't wearing glasses at the time. A red box with some words in it. Anyway, can't seem to find any pics of a rebranded title. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 PM

73 posts, read 183,430 times
I drive a car with a salvage title. It's a 1992 Subaru Loyale, and last summer someone ran into my front fender. I needed to have the fender replaced, my bumper patched, and headlight replaced, but the other driver's insurance company (the at fault party) decided that my car wasn't worth the repair because it's so old. Even though there was no mechanical damage, just a bit of body work, and they "totaled" it. I decided to keep it because it's a great car with low miles.

So, it's true that not all cars with salvage titles are lemons. However, if the car was ever in another accident, it's essentially valueless. I also don't expect to ever be able to sell it for what it's worth, even though there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Edited to add: I just took a look at my title, and there's a red box on the front of the title that says "Totaled - Reconstructed." You wouldn't miss it.
I believe in Oregon you can't get a salvage title, at least on your own vehicle, until you've had the damage restored to a road-safe level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: