Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 AM

9 posts, read 20,159 times

Advertisements

I moved here back in June, and I'm loving it!

There's no real path along the river, although you can kind of forge one if you want. There's a path over in McCormick park for walking though, and free camping there as well. McCormick park also has an off-leash area for dogs, too (by the baseball diamond), but it's not fenced in so your dog has to have a good recall. I don't know how old you are (probably past this age), but the BMX track and skate park is pretty legit, if you want to relive your youth and try to break and arm

Places to eat: Dockside, and Klondike are really yummy. Vinnie's Chicago Sandwhich shop has really great decor and is also tasty. Did you notice that there's a new thai food place over on the 30, set up in a little trailer on the side of the road? Noi's or something? I am looking forward to trying it. The Kozy Korner has cheap food and a good breakfast - it's not five star, but it's just simple and yummy - a good biscuits and gravy kind of place.

There is a ton of stuff to do in the area - we just finished the "Where's Waldo" game that the St Helens Bookstore put on. They hid Waldos all around town, and if you found them all, you were entered into a contest which ahd grand prizes that ranged from a month free at The Vault to $100 credit at the book store - speaking of which, have you been to the bookstore yet? It's great for gifts and ideas.

Bowling has $1 nights ---I think it's Tuesday, but you'll have to check.

I am in love with Word for Word bookshop down by the river - it has funky hours, but you it's a really cozy area for reading - you can grab a used book and a coffee and just relax for a good read. The owner is really nice, too.

The Library has tons of programs - mostly geared towards kids, but you can contact them for a list of events (or look online), because some times they list things for adults, too.

This weekend is "Wings and Wheels" over in Scappoose - with a pancake breakfast in the morning. In September the Sauerkraut Festival is coming up over there, too.

Down on the river are tons of little shops to walk into, with trinkets to look at - pretty reasonable, too. The theater has "pub nights", where you can watch a movie while enjoying some beer.

I'm kind of shocked how many places have karaoke - I haven't been to any yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I hear Halloween is fantastic down in old town - it's still a bit away, but you can start planning your costume now if you want.

There is a nice stables over in warren if you want to start taking horse back riding lessons.

If you notice, I'm listing everything on the river side of the 30 - I haven't gone exploring on the other side yet.

I know everyone keeps saying it's a podunk, somewhat dirty (as in drugs) town--- but the truth is, this is actually one of the cleanest, best run little towns I've ever been. There are a couple of bad areas, but overall the people here seem friendly and happy, and there are a lot of activities and fun things to do if you look. It's not readily available like it would be in a big city, but if you do your homework there are plenty of things to do. You can PM me if you have any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland