Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM

219 posts, read 624,040 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Got another question for you. I know that beer is EVERYWHERE in Portland but I am very curious about Hard Cider. My boyfriend is allergic to wheat and so when we drink we mainly stick to the cider, as it is Amaaaaaaaaaaazing. LOVE love love it. Specifically Strongbow. How popular is it out there? Will I find a good selection of it in most liquor/grocery stores? Do they serve it in many bars? If so, what kind(s) and which places would I find it? I'd be really interested to know if there are any local cultivators in the area, whether in Portland or Oregon in general? Any information you have about this topic I would love to hear about. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Not really, but sort of surprising considering Hood River isn't that far away. There are plenty of gluten free beers, at least on the shelves at grocery stores.

I know McMenamins serves their own cider, but I'm not a fan of it. I don't know for sure if any of the other brew pubs serve cider of any type.

Portland has a huge distillery scene going on BTW, so if you're ready to upgrade to hard liquors, this is the place to do it.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I know I've seen it at both Fred Meyer and Safeway (two grocery chains in Oregon). It's in the section with the specialty 22 oz beer bottles.

I found an article (behind a paywall, so I'll summarize) that talked about the Bushwhacker Cider Bar in Portland (25 varieties, or so the article claimed), Ford Farms Cyderworks in Portland, EZ Orchards, which sells at several farmer's markets, Wandering Aengus Ciderwork in Salem, Honeywood Winery (wine and hard cider) in Salem and a few others. Doubtless there must be some in Hood River. I don't think you'll have to look too far for local varieties.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:18 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,337 times
I think Bushwhacker also makes their own. They're across the street from the Berlin Inn. If you google portland cider, a few places show up that carry a broad selection or brew their own.

Most grocery stores carry at least Strongbow or Hornsby's but several also carry Wandering Aengus.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 PM

192 posts, read 454,670 times
Market of Choice has several; I've only tried Fox Barrel (very good.) Market of Choice has a good selection of single bottle beers as well if he wants to try some of the wheat-free ones.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Ham, I disagree, I have really yet to find a bar that didn't offer at least one cider (Though I will agree that the McM's cider is not that great). And with the abundance of apples around I think the cider market here in town is growing quickly. There seems to be two camps for ciders here. There is the more wine-oriented camp (Wandering Aengus is a great example) that have bigger bottles, more complex, and more expensive. Then the more beer-oriented (most others) with smaller bottles, cheaper, a little more generic.
There is actually a cider festival. I think it is in the spring, and takes place at the south waterfront.
Spire has some decent selections of ciders (from WA).
Haven't made it to the cider bar yet, but am looking forward to it!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM

219 posts, read 624,040 times
WHOOHOOO!!! Sounds like there is a lot to choose from out there. We do fine in Des Moines but it's great to know that when we move to Portland we will have even more to choose from. A Cider Bar?? That's probably going to be my first favorite place....

Old 07-29-2012, 02:22 PM

82 posts, read 146,286 times
Cider is popular and readily available. I don't drink beer either and almost always find a cider option at a restaurant. Most grocery stores carry some too. There are some Oregon producers and brands from England/Ireland, etc... available. John's Market in Multnomah Village has a good selection (not all apple cider, some pear and other fruits) as does Belmont Station in SE. Both stores have websites so you can check them out.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:28 PM

82 posts, read 146,286 times
Just looked up the Cider Festival. It is called Cider Summit NW and occurs in June. This past June they held the 2nd summit. They also have a website you can look up under Cider Summit NW. It mentions that Barbur World Foods is a sponsor. They also have a good selection of ciders and are located on SW Barbur Blvd.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygrrEyzz View Post
Hi everyone. Got another question for you. I know that beer is EVERYWHERE in Portland but I am very curious about Hard Cider. My boyfriend is allergic to wheat and so when we drink we mainly stick to the cider, as it is Amaaaaaaaaaaazing. LOVE love love it. Specifically Strongbow. How popular is it out there? Will I find a good selection of it in most liquor/grocery stores? Do they serve it in many bars? If so, what kind(s) and which places would I find it? I'd be really interested to know if there are any local cultivators in the area, whether in Portland or Oregon in general? Any information you have about this topic I would love to hear about. Thank you!!!
I am a pretty big fan of Woodchuck Cider made in Vermont. If I can get it in Houston, you can probably get it anywhere. Ice cold its great.

TygrrEyzz I totally get the wheat free part. Tell me when you find some decent gluten free pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland