Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,775 times

Advertisements

Here is the link about the layoffs at Lincoln and the subsequent protests:

Lincoln HS Students Protest Teacher Layoffs - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Lincoln HS in San Diego, not Portland. Heck, to lay off 32 teachers at Portland's Lincoln HS that would reduce over half the staff.

I do recall that Lincoln in Portland lost a couple teachers, one a beloved social studies teacher, as a part of the District reducing staff about a year ago.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,775 times
Whoops! I'm sorry, Nell....

Portland Public Schools students protest proposed district budget cuts | OregonLive.com

I know a Lincoln student who was protesting. I'm so sorry about posting that mistaken link!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Here is an interesting discussion about Oregon's new school rating approach New Oregon school ratings show familiar patterns but highlight little-known 'model' schools | OregonLive.com. Note that West Sylvan middle school that serves the Lincoln enrollment area gets outstanding ratings while Lincoln's was mediocre. That is because they are evaluating schools based on student progress, not attainment. Lincoln's students enter well prepared, almost entirely from West Sylvan.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 AM

13 posts, read 34,971 times
Ok, we got a job offer, and we are nearly certain that we're moving to Portland. Because our middle schooler will be disrupted by this move, we are very concerned that we move to the right area to make the transition as smooth as possible. We hope to find the school that shares the best aspects of where we are today--rigor, diversity, good administration, lots of parent involvement, a welcoming, connected community.
We're leaning strongly to moving to the Lincoln HS area. But when I visited Portland, the folks at my future office all lived at LO, and the real estate agent I met said Lincoln HS was very good but she normally shows people houses in the LO area. Could someone weigh in, and compare the reputation, and pros and cons of Lincoln HS vs Lake Oswego HS areas a little bit? Will West Sylvan/Lincoln be a better fit for us than LO?
1. DIVERSITY: We'd like to have some diversity at the school- ideally the diversity would be different nationalities and races, among the very strongest performing students, not just provided by students on F/R lunch programs.
2. COMMUNITY: Seeking an established community, vs a suburban bedroom community--what is LO like? Is it an older town that grew into Portland, or a bedroom community with some local amenities added?
3. LOCATION: Is Sylvan Middle School located in a safe neighborhood, reputation-wise? I have seen the statistics on line, but I wonder what locals think of the area? Also, what do people think of Lincoln HS being located downtown- is that a pro or a con?
4. ACADEMICS: we'd like a school where the students are very well prepared for college, and nearly all the students go on to college.

Thanks again, we just want to make sure the Lincoln area will be right for us, since we will have to commit to a school before we have time to settle in.

Last edited by MidwestWorkMom; 08-29-2012 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Sylvan Middle School is located in a suburban area. The last time I looked 6th graders are in a different building than 7th & 8th graders because of capacity. My children attended Sylvan Middle School, all be it years ago. As a practical matter virtually all the students are bussed because they serve a large geographic area. The kids do not hang around the school after class because of the bussing unless they are participating in activities or meeting with a teacher (there is an activity bus). Strangers are intercepted. Safety has never been an issue. The only problem I heard about as a parent was rowdy behavior by some kids on the bus. The cure for this is that the student is suspended from the bus, but not school. A parent who must transport their child to and from School is not happy. Repeat suspensions were rarely necessary.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 PM

25 posts, read 36,641 times
Do you plan on buying your kid a nice car or SUV when they're old enough to drive (LO)? Or are you comfortable with letting them take public transportation (Lincoln students ride TriMet for free)?

Are they planning on playing sports? LO Football is a big deal (they finally won the state championship last year). Cheerleading/dance is huge too. I work in Lake Oswego and many of my co-workers' kids attend or have attended LO.

Will you be affiliated with a church in the LO area? If so, that could help tremendously if you choose the suburbs.

If I were your middle-schooler, I would prefer Lincoln in a heartbeat. As a parent, I would choose Lincoln, too.

The idea of starting LO without any friends would be petrifying socially. Lincoln draws from a much more diverse area than LO (even though Portland is not very diverse as a whole), and there is a waiting list to transfer to Lincoln if you're not within the boundary. Lincoln's urban location is a definite plus. I think your son or daughter will have many more opportunities to fit in and succeed academically at Lincoln. Their IB program has a fantastic reputation. I took classes at Portland State my senior year of high school (I did not attend Lincoln) and it really helped with the transition to college.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM

13 posts, read 34,971 times
Thanks- that is the affirmation I was hoping to receive. Our family doesn't do much team sports (nothing against them, it just hasn't worked out that way.) Our daughter does running, swimming, violin, excels in liberal arts types of classes, and does some volunteering. She's been taking German in school but it looks like that isn't offered at any of the middle schools- oh well, no biggie. We would be looking looking for an Episcopal church. Lincoln sounds more comfortable to us.
thanks again for sharing!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 PM

PM sent..

Lincoln's swim team works out at the Multnomah Athletic Club.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM

59 posts, read 91,173 times
I don't live in Portland anymore, but I am familiar with both areas.

Lincoln.... definitely.

Lake Oswego is (generally) way too materialistic. So far, you don't seem like that's really your thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland