Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: where should i move?
chicago 1 10.00%
portland, or 2 20.00%
austin 7 70.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gookgette View Post
yeah, i can handle the rain. i just don't like bracing myself for the extreme cold. i don't mind drizzle. rain would be hard to run in, though. the natural beauty and the weekend trips to other natural beauty surrounding portland appeals to me... but i'm single, and the economy seems bad in portland? would i be able to meet a guy with a decent job, i wonder?

That's pretty difficult to answer. Anything is possible. The ratio of men to women is in women's favor but whether or not those men will have good paying jobs is another story.

It may depend upon your occupation. If you work in an area where there are single guys with good jobs of course your chances are going to be better. I used to work for a large insurance company and there were lots of hook ups where people found good matches but that's kind of unusual I think.

BTW, did you say what your occupation was?

Portland doesn't normally have extreme cold not like Chicago. Nor is extreme heat common like Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 AM

130 posts, read 207,397 times
i work in the medical field. my job in chicago and portland is 32 hours, but can pick up shifts... my job in austin i'm guaranteed. headquarters are in chicago, and i have family and friends there... but i'm kinda yearning to explore a different part of the country.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Evidently you are a single female, now is the time to explore different parts of the country. You can always move what ever you choose.

Austin has a different culture, I hear, than the rest of Texas. Your risk there is that you will meet and marry a died-in-the-wool Texan who will want/need to leave Austin.

Portland has a fantastic health care community with a stunning retention rate.

If Chicago & Portland only offer you 32 hours I would run the numbers on their cost of living vs Austin.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times
I've lived in all three. I love Chicago but it is crazy cold and you said you aren't looking for cold weather. Portland, Or is nice but the two years that lived there I always dreaded my daily jog due to the constant drizzle and wet environment. If you can deal with the grey blanket that covers PDX 9 months out of the year than go for it. Austin would be the choice I would recommend for you. The weather is decent year round although it does get hot during the summer, there are lots of outdoors opportunities. (If someone tells you to meet them at hippie hollow don't fall for the joke ) Austin can be expensive depending on what someone may be used to but I'm sure you can swing it. If you can visit all three before you make up your mind go to PDX and Chicago during the winter and Austin during the summer so you will know what the extreme weather of that climate is like. If you do end up in Austin go check out the bat colony that lives under the bridge downtown, it's pretty neat. Diversity wise I would say Chicago but since it has been ruled out due to cold weather I would go with Austin as PDX isn't very diverse. Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland