Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:14 PM

162 posts, read 513,550 times

Advertisements

Many posts I read here seems to indicate that people in Portland can are amongst the worst human beings in the country.

It is really funny though, as I was browsing in the Dallas, Chicago, Seattle and Atlanta forums(all cities which I have lived in) and the people there were apparently just as horrible as the people in Portland.

Are there any good people left in the world?

Go to any city in the world folks and you are going to find a vast majority of imperfect people, such as the ones that are described in certain posts on this forum.

Oh and the job market is another thing. According to some people here, the economy in Portland ranks right up there with that of a third world country.

Just a rant!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
In general, I think Portlanders are nicer than most big cities I've been in.

That said, for some reason liberals in Portland have taken a very aggressive and even violent stance against anyone who does not share their political beliefs. The word "hate" is very appropriate.

While Portlanders can be very nice, they are also very intolerant.

BTW, I'm not a conservative so I'm reporting what I see from a more moderate minded view.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:03 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
sounds like troll/baiting. I love and miss my old Portland neighbors and pals. My heart is with you.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 PM

12 posts, read 31,948 times
I don't think it's possible that all Portland people are bad. I have been her for four years and I also agree that a lot of people in Portland are intolerant. Sometimes I don't even think they realized it. It is made clear that you better fall in with the troops or keep your mouth shut and if you can't get out of town. There just doesn't seem to be that spirit of live and let live. I don't get it.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post
Many posts I read here seems to indicate that people in Portland can are amongst the worst human beings in the country.
You nailed it - Portland has the worst human beings in the country. We are all a disgrace to mankind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal2009 View Post
Go to any city in the world folks and you are going to find a vast majority of imperfect people, such as the ones that are described in certain posts on this forum.
"Imperfect people" and "worst human beings in the country" are two entirely different things.

The people most of the posts in question refer to are a small but VERY vocal minority. I am a moderate conservative living here and I have no problem getting along with just about anybody; I just take their views in stride, and with a grain of salt, if need be.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Okay, don't ask a misanthrope how wonderful people are.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 PM

162 posts, read 513,550 times
My point was that you can go to any city and you will hear the same constant bickering about how the people are too intolerant of others views, too narrow minded, too aggressive etc etc etc. If you were to move from Portland to another city such as Dallas, Chicago, Phoenix etc..you would hear some complaint or another about the people.I am not sure why people cannot realize this and have to constantly bicker about the bad sides of people everywhere. It doesn't change in ANY city! Get used to it and live your life the best you can and try to see the BRIGHT sides in people.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:00 AM

121 posts, read 374,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
for some reason liberals in Portland have taken a very aggressive and even violent stance against anyone who does not share their political beliefs. The word "hate" is very appropriate.
this is very true, and the funny thing about this? is most of these violent liberal types are transplants themselves who brought their big city attitudes with them when they came here, so now all portland people are stereotyped to be that way.

so much for people being "nice" in portland.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,111,055 times
People here aren't particularly friendly (especially if you are used to the South) but they aren't hostile, either. And while there's not that open friendliness, they do seem to be, in general, nice. Decent. That's rather rare for a larger city.

(As long as you don't make the mistake of saying something like, "ya know, I don't think George W Bush is 100% wrong on everything.")

Old 11-07-2008, 03:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
(As long as you don't make the mistake of saying something like, "ya know, I don't think George W Bush is 100% wrong on everything.")
I say it sometimes, but only when I'm in the mood for argument. I figure if I have to listen to everyone else's unasked-for input, they'll have to put up with mine occasionally, too.

As for friendliness, I refer to us as "detached-friendliness". Pleasant and responsive, but by far NOT the welcome-to-my-home type of friendliness that was pointed out in another thread a few months ago. But I don't particularly view that as a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland