Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM

21 posts, read 31,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
i would think Portland weather would be perfect for photography. It gives you so much variety for photographs ... not just the same thing on a sunny day. More of a chance to showcase your skills!

There's a great website (at least, I think so) of Portland area photography in all kinds of weather. It doesn't look like he's added any new photographs in years, but I do like what he has there. Perhaps it will give you inspiration. I also like that it's organized by neighborhood. You can find it here: Portland Ground
Cool. Looking through it now, hadn't seen it before. Thanks!

It seems like Gary Randall has set the photography bar pretty high in the Northwest. His stuff is absolutely stunning! But, I digress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
For black and white photography clouds are like a gift. I made a computer wallpaper by shooting a bank of clouds off the waterfront in Seattle. Just click, shoot, and when I put it on my computer, it was perfect.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM

21 posts, read 31,255 times
Yeah, clouds are wonderful. Gloomy days can be more beautiful than clear, sunny ones. In fact, clear days are actually pretty boring when it comes to photography.

This photo I'm attaching is a favorite of mine. A great example of why I actually in some ways prefer to be out and about on these kind of days.
Attached Thumbnails
Hey Newcomers/Recent Transplants, How's the Weather been for ya?!-waterfront.jpg  

Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 AM

That is very nice! Here's mine (I hope). Seattle harbor n 2012. Can't imagine any sunny day this pretty.
Attached Thumbnails
Hey Newcomers/Recent Transplants, How's the Weather been for ya?!-seattle-waterfront.jpg  

Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 AM

892 posts, read 1,593,550 times
I caution the newer transplants who are thinking "this is the weather we've been warned about? I got this, it's cake." to not count your chickens. The weather isn't so much any one day but it's the accumulation of days and about day 90 - 120, the accretion starts to become noticeable.

I do have troubles with the weather and if I can get outside for several hours at least once or twice a week, I do okay (walking to the bar doesn't count). When this is most needed is the end of February/early March. That's when my body is saying that it should be spring and I should get out more but the weather is telling me it's just more of the same for some time longer.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfluxx View Post
Cool. Looking through it now, hadn't seen it before. Thanks!

It seems like Gary Randall has set the photography bar pretty high in the Northwest. His stuff is absolutely stunning! But, I digress...
I can see why you like his stuff ... really nice. The other site's photos, I like for it's urban flavor. The gorgeous scenery is beautiful without manipulation, but finding (and creating a nice photo of) the beauty in the ordinary and everyday, I appreciate, as well.

By the way ... love your photo. The softness in the photo is awesome.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
A rainy day can be the best fishing. Take a look at all the folks trying their luck on our different rivers/drainages. Many Salmon, Steelhead, Sturgeon, Trout, Bass, Catfish, Crappie, etc are caught. Some are released....

Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM

I do know it is great for throwing your bait in the water and cracking a can of beer. I learned this "fishing technique" from an older brother.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 AM

745 posts, read 1,584,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
I caution the newer transplants who are thinking "this is the weather we've been warned about? I got this, it's cake." to not count your chickens. The weather isn't so much any one day but it's the accumulation of days and about day 90 - 120, the accretion starts to become noticeable.

I do have troubles with the weather and if I can get outside for several hours at least once or twice a week, I do okay (walking to the bar doesn't count). When this is most needed is the end of February/early March. That's when my body is saying that it should be spring and I should get out more but the weather is telling me it's just more of the same for some time longer.

absolutely agree!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 AM

"Get out"? Which weather prevents that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland