Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indieco View Post
No it doesn't, I never said it did. The law says it's the job of law enforcement to track down criminals. They should not even get the opportunity to apply to college. Not my opinion necessarily, but the law is the law unless you change it.
Yep, and it was people like you who turned in run-away slaves in the South or run-away Jews in Nazi Germany.

"Not my opinion necessarily, but it's the Law, so who cares if it's actually the right thing to do."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Yep, and it was people like you who turned in run-away slaves in the South or run-away Jews in Nazi Germany.

"Not my opinion necessarily, but it's the Law, so who cares if it's actually the right thing to do."
It's an Oregon issue right now, and your comments are not only offensive, they are out of context with the issue.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
And a rational response to that is "ever heard of civil disobedience"?

A lot of just things have been illegal in the history of this country and it's the right (some might even say duty) of those who object on moral grounds to ignore, circumvent, subvert and seek official change to those laws which are unjust.
This is about a violation of Immigration law. There is nothing unjust about it. To be part of "Cival Disobedience" you must first be "Civil". That means a "Citizen". A "Legal Citizen".

Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
This is about a violation of Immigration law. There is nothing unjust about it. To be part of "Cival Disobedience" you must first be "Civil". That means a "Citizen". A "Legal Citizen".
It's not Oregon's immigration law. The only requirement for Oregon residency is that you live here. That makes you a resident. For the purposes of college tuition, there are other considerations. You can read about them here:

Oregon State University Online Catalog - Residency Requirements

They are in the process of changing 580-010-0040.

If you want to enforce immigration law, I suggest you talk to the federal INS about it. The State of Oregon selectively enforces immigration laws, in that if someone is arrested for a crime, they will turn them over to the INS for deportation. The only way the feds can force the state to do something is by threatening to withhold funding, which they won't do in this case. They had a cow when Arizona started enforcing immigration.

Oregon was never part of Mexico, so we don't feel much threatened by brown skinned Spanish speakers, particularly the ones in college. For my money, the further the state stays from the federal immigration mess, the better. I think they are doing a sensible thing.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
And a rational response to that is "ever heard of civil disobedience"?

Civil disobedience is all well and fine, but those who want to protest with civil disobedience should be willing to accept the consequences, not expect to be lavishly rewarded for breaking the law.

Non citizens who are not legal residents want to break the US law and enter the country illegal. I don't even know how that counts as civil disobedience, since they are not legal residents. But lets give them the civil disobedience label.

They should be prepared to accept the consequences of their civil disobedience, which is being deported. Not expect to be rewarded with a free education, in-state tuition, free medical, and food stamps.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. Where in the immigration law does it say "thou shalt not offer in-state tuition to illegal immigrants to your state universities."

It's a college tuition issue. Not an immigration issue.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 AM

Enrico, I suspect you are somewhat biased.

Being illegal is an immigration issue. The state not enforcing the laws on the books is another issue. The feel good politicians in Portland and Lane County are a pox on Oregon.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
This might be a good time to repeat the fact that the individuals in question are not technically illegal immigrants. Their parents are. They were minor children subject to the authority of their parents at the time of their illegal entry into the U.S. I get that the anonymity afforded by the discussion forum medium allows for a freer expression than otherwise but, really... is it truly necessary to be so ugly about things? Can't adults that can successfully navigate the other intricacies of modern America get their heads around the shades of gray of this issue?

Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Enrico, I suspect you are somewhat biased.

Being illegal is an immigration issue. The state not enforcing the laws on the books is another issue. The feel good politicians in Portland and Lane County are a pox on Oregon.
Biased? In what way? Because I have an opinion, and it doesn't agree with yours? Where's the bias?

Ah ... unless you're assuming I'm Hispanic. Which I'm not. It's just a user name. And if that's the case, shame on you for making assumptions. Especially ethnically/racially motivated one.
My family arrived on these shores in the early 1600s. The last one straggled in in 1842. I'm a genealogist. Believe me, I know my heritage.

Is that American enough for you? Now can I have an opinion?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

Ah ... unless you're assuming I'm Hispanic. Which I'm not. It's just a user name.
Truthfully, I assumed that you are an opera fan.. Hispanic never crossed my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland