Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,098 times

Advertisements

I know also the big PDX LAN party is also held there and they just had it last week, so wanted to be there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I just saw on the news there is a big Comic Con here in Portland this weekend. It's a Pro Con (Wizards)something Portland hasn't gotten much of in the past so that's either a step forward or back depending upon one's point of view. LOL. Portland and Eugene used to be a great Fan Con area. We had some pretty good guests too.

Anyway there are celebs there and it's probably going to be fun providing you like Pro Cons and you have a fat wallet. But you probably know all about that.

We used to have some great Fan Cons but not so much any longer. Still, you will find a few going on I think. And NorWesCon up in Seattle is still great.

I have never been into gaming but I know some folks who used to be and maybe still are. Check out the book stores like Future Dreams and they can tell you everything from SciFi to gaming to PDX LAN Cons (I am not familiar with the latter) the whole nine yards.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Don't visit the "Old Town" neighborhood after dark, and during the day don't make eye contact with vagrants.
I have never had a problem in Old Town after dark. I go to Dantes quite often, and even when I have been a bit lost wandering around Old Town after a few to many, I have never had a problem.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM

16 posts, read 37,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
I have never had a problem in Old Town after dark. I go to Dantes quite often, and even when I have been a bit lost wandering around Old Town after a few to many, I have never had a problem.
good for you, man!

crack is openly dealt in broad daylight in old town.

if someone asks for a street or neighborhood to avoid.

we're going to tell them that one.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:38 PM

478 posts, read 881,980 times
I work in Old Town, sometimes into the evenings. I walk at lunch every day. There is a huge homeless population in Old Town due to all of the shelters, but most of them are harmless. I have never seen a drug deal; the area has a very noticeable police and watchman presence because of its former history. The biggest problems I have are driving home at night through packs of drunk young people and homeless who just walk into and across the street wherever and, during my lunch walk, avoiding all the smokers polluting the atmosphere. Compared to the worst neighborhoods in most other cities I've experienced, Old Town is a cakewalk.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I don't disagree. From what I read the trouble makers are young adults who drink too much. Most of the homeless are harmless, some should be in a residence for the mentally ill (close down the state mental hospitals and let the police deal with them situation). I want those mental health professionals who said that state hospitals would be replaced by quality community services to care for them in their homes!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,098 times
Blame Reagan.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I blame idealists. That is not to say that state mental hospitals are wonderful, just that living on the streets is worse.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Honestly, I'm about ready to give this forum up for lost like a number of good people have over the last year. There must be seven troll threads on page one alone. This thread qualifies. When you find yourself giving an o.p. a hard time and snarky replies instead of a straight damn answer... it just might be a troll thread you are posting in. Don't feed them. This forum eats Moderators for breakfast. Does it even have one at present? LAN party geeks with 'tude driving blinged out Honda's wondering what parts of Portland to avoid... I'm not worthy...

Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
While I agree about the recent upsurge in trolls on this forum, I did not think this OP was one of them. In fact, I recently reported one as such. I thought this one was legit because I knew what he was talking about. H'mmm......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: