Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

My DIL's mother was an older single transplant and seemed to be busy every weekend. Adjustment is more a matter of personality than age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Do people go to the Phoenix boards and ask if they're too young to move to Phoenix? Or Miami? Maybe they do...

I get the reason why people think Portland is so exotic: it's because of the mass media portrayals. But c'mon folks! Portland is little different here, a little different there but the bottom line:
PORTLAND IS JUST ANOTHER CITY!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Maybe I am just getting old, but I notice that when I am in Portland, especially the inner southeast neighborhoods (cause that's where I grew up and that's the part of Portland I spend any time in anymore), I feel that Portland is a young peoples town presently.

Most people seem a lot younger than me.
(I am in my sixties somewhere).

I still feel young at heart, but whenever I go out for a night on the town, I feel the reverse of a thirty year old having dinner at McGrath's.

I feel like I am the oldest one there!

IMHO, Portland is definately geared for people from 20 to 40 years old.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM

21 posts, read 42,312 times
Default PDX "The grass is greener, but the skies are grey"

It is all relative I suppose. I have been here in Portland since 1994 and I can't wait to leave. Don't get me wrong--this is an awesome city in many ways. Culture, nightlife, restaurants, grocery stores, progressive, this and that. But truthfully, that stuff, like everything in one's life needs to be weighed properly.

As it stands now, a New Yorker would still love that relatively inexpensive rent (I did say relatively) here.
However, ask any average wage earning Portlander (that is, if they are employed), how they feel about the rent after several years of living here. I know... it is inevitable for a city to grow and expand. Rent increase is expected. All I'm saying is that for *me: The cost of living is at a point that long outweighs the relatively dismal state of employment health and the weather (highly subjective). Not sure where you are from (thinking of moving here), but think hard about this: While jobs are weak everywhere in our nation, Portland has seen its population explode exponentially. However, this growth came at a time when money for infrastructure is lackluster--which leaves transportation issues and congestion and a weak job market, etc. Some might argue this, but ask yourself exactly where will you live in town, what will your commute be like (warning: if you move to downtown or eastside and work in Hillsboro, you are in for a terrible commute). As for the weather, while I have lived in the PAC NW for 20something years between Seattle and PDX, it has become very difficult to endure. We have a large percentage of alcoholics and coffee addicts here because of the awful weather. No, there are no snow storms or hurricanes here. But you will have 9 to 10 months of nearly constant rain or grey skies (rain or not). Ask yourself if sun really matters to you--and be honest when you answer that question. Don't visit in July or August to make a judgement call on PDX. That is the classic mistake many people make.

To each their own as you will see some very rightfully defensive people respond to this. After all it is subjective. But I for one, can't wait to get out of this overpriced, overrated, rainforest.

PS, it is very true what they say about Portland: It's a place where young people go to retire. Which by the way, this breeds complacency for a low standard of living.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
^^ interesting point of view, I am actually more of a native Portlander that moved away and has been seriously missing life in Portland. Though I can understand the city isn't for everyone.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Two of the most active Meetup groups in this area are for singles over 35 and one for those 50 and over. Being over 40 will definitely not stop you from having a life, however, it's a very fickle city for dating if that's what you're after.

And then there's the whole job market thing. You will be competing with people of all ages and experience levels for jobs.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
My earlier point was that there was no moat around the city and anyone can move here. As in any place, it is what you make of it and anyone of any age should do their homework about a place to see if it holds interest for them.

I live near Hawthorne Blvd where it's very trendy and there are many young people but there are older people here too. If you are here during the daytime as I am because I am retired, you will see many older people my age of 67. The younger 30-40 crowd are at work. At weekends you see people of all ages. In my apartment complex the ages range from 30-76 and everything in between.

Yes, it's true that many younger people want to move here, the twenty and thirty somethings, but their ages don't stop there. They do turn 40 and continue on. I think as long as someone can find activties they like, a job, a place to live and the weather isn't going to bother them age shouldn't be a deterrent because they will find others of similar age.

I think someone already said this, Portland, like any other city isn't for everyone but if it suits you then it will be the place for you regardless of how old you may be. People have come here in there 60's to retire and have been very happy. People in their twenties have moved here and been miserable. It simply depends upon the individual and what suits them best.

Last edited by Minervah; 04-23-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Old folks are cool, too. :-)

Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Portland is all about the QUALITY of life, vs. the QUANTITY of life.

If you can't figure out the difference, or if you think quality has to do with the amount of money and possessions you have, then you'll never be happy in Portland.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Portland is all about the QUALITY of life, vs. the QUANTITY of life.

If you can't figure out the difference, or if you think quality has to do with the amount of money and possessions you have, then you'll never be happy in Portland.
This might be the best description of Portland that I have ever read and probably one of the most true. The best thing about my years in Portland had nothing to do with how much money I was making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland