Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 AM

7 posts, read 8,051 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I posted asking for advice on various areas in Portland for living/renting. Got great advice that was helpful in doing all the pre-research for the house - finding trip.

We were in Portland last week for 4 days with the goal of finding an apartment for our September move. After everything I read, I was really worried about finding a decent place in a good location at a reasonable price! I had over 50 places to contact, and at least 25 of them were either rented before I got there, or never returned my calls (so I figure they were already rented) and four appointments cancelled before we even saw the place because they rented so fast! Wow, the fast movement of the housing market really is true.

Fortunately, we got lucky on day one! One place I contacted had rented their advertised apartment, but the manager said that someone had just given notice to move out, so stop by. We did, and it was available for our September time frame (occupied, so we couldn't see the exact unit, but we were able to see two others that are vacant where people were to move in the next day). Great little 2 bedroom place, corner unit, second floor, free off street parking, and a very reasonable rent amount. Love the location in the Creston-Kenilworth district with a lot of pubs, shops and what-not within walking distance, a 20-minute bike ride into the city (according to a resident we talked to who rides into town regularly), and a couple of bus lines within blocks. It isn't the fanciest place, the kitchen is a little dated, and it's an older building, but it is a smaller apartment complex (about 30-35 units), clean, the on-site manager seems like she's pretty good to deal with, and we met a few of the residents while we were there who seem like they are mellow, friendly types.

Since we found a place the first day, we were able to explore the city for the next two days and we had a blast. There's a lot to like about the city even with some of the "weird" going on in the downtown. Love the hills, the green, and how easy it is to navigate around the different areas. I think we'll like living there very much.

Thanks again for all the great advice!! It really was very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,584,037 times
Fantastic, and welcome home.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Wonderful and congratulations. If I am not being too nosy, would you mind revealing what they are asking for rent or approximately what it is?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Wonderful and congratulations. If I am not being too nosy, would you mind revealing what they are asking for rent or approximately what it is?
No problem: $875 including W/S/T. We pay electric (all electric apartment).

Easily was the best all-around deal we saw in the two days of apartment touring (I think we looked at around 20 different places in NE, SE and SW). Like I said, it's not super-modern, slick, updated, but that's ok for us for the foreseeable future as we settle in and get established.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,348,984 times
Weird in downtown? Where?

Welcome to the city.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomrahj View Post
No problem: $875 including W/S/T. We pay electric (all electric apartment).

Easily was the best all-around deal we saw in the two days of apartment touring (I think we looked at around 20 different places in NE, SE and SW). Like I said, it's not super-modern, slick, updated, but that's ok for us for the foreseeable future as we settle in and get established.
Thank you for your reply. That is a great price. And the fact that you got to meet some tenants is really a bonus.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 PM

240 posts, read 483,541 times
Welcome to Portland, and good for you!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,634,170 times
Is that an American Property Management building?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:58 AM

No, it's owned by a small, private developer who has about 6 different properties in the SE. We didn't look at any of the American Properties stuff at all - I got bad vibes from their advertising approach. I don't think I ever saw a photo of the interior of one of their properties that they had available, and that made me very suspicious of the quality of the apartments. I guess I figure if a landlord/owner isn't willing to put at least 1 interior photo in their ads, I have to wonder what they are hiding.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,634,170 times
Good choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: