Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm not sure why it's anyone's business why someone is looking for all-day K or not.
He makes everything his business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 AM

535 posts, read 966,826 times
Oregon SB 248 signed into law by the Governor in 2011 will implement full day free kindergarten statewide in 2015. I know some school districts have already worked FTE's and district costs, and are crying.

Currently, as another poster stated, Beaverton offers tuition based full-day kindergarten at some elementary schools and it is by application. I'm not sure if they are using a lottery system this year or not. Kindergarten students are required to attend their boundary school, though there is a mechanism in place to get a hardship transfer or whatever the lingo is today. Outside your school boundary would require your own transportation. Between administrative transfers, inter-district transfers, open enrollments and the type of program you are looking for, it can be a maze of confusion.

Hillsboro School District currently offers half-day kindergarten, though there are several private preschools.

Hope this helps and didn't muddy the water too much.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 PM

12 posts, read 52,728 times
Thanks for all your help guys

Old 08-27-2013, 05:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Coos Bay's four day school panicked those needing child care. Some quit their jobs because they could not afford a babysitter and had depended on the taxpayers to provide "School Care".

Old 08-27-2013, 06:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
I don't think that Coos Bay's financial problems have anything to do with the discussion at hand except that you saw yet another opportunity to pass judgement on someone you know nothing about.

It's pretty pathetic when someone can't even ask about kindergarten in the Portland forum without the usual crap from forum regulars. Here's a newsflash for you Steve: People who work while their children are in school are taxpayers as well.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-27-2013 at 06:55 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 07:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Coos Bay's four day school panicked those needing child care. Some quit their jobs because they could not afford a babysitter and had depended on the taxpayers to provide "School Care".
I would panic too. Last time I checked school attendance was compulsory. Maybe if you have such a problem with taxpayers supporting everyone's children you should take an issue with that legislation, lol.

It's not simply "affording a babysitter" one day a week that is an issue (though for some, obvs it is financially problematic) but GOOD LUCK trying to find a quality babysitter ONE day a week - especially when everyone else needs the same thing on the same day.

A 4-day school week is not the norm, just as a 4-day work week is not the norm. I cannot fathom why you are having trouble comprehending this, as well as why you keep dragging it into a question about kindergarten logistics in districts which you do not reside in nor have children attending school in.

All that's left is for you to post how great the education is in Dallas and also point out how you can get a $60k house with some land out there.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,900 times
I guess he expects the woman to stay home and therefore childcare is no longer an issue.

He's an expert on absolutely everything so he must be right.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UriahB View Post
You make this seem like a bad thing.
It is. The taxpayers pick up the Babysitting costs so parents can get out of their parental duties, and work. The common excuse is "We are both working so we can provide for our kids." Provide what? An empty home, latch keys, and two parents too wore out to be parents.

And what are you anyway, some kind of Cyber Stalker? The only posts you have made were attacks on me. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I would panic too. Last time I checked school attendance was compulsory. Maybe if you have such a problem with taxpayers supporting everyone's children you should take an issue with that legislation, lol.

It's not simply "affording a babysitter" one day a week that is an issue (though for some, obvs it is financially problematic) but GOOD LUCK trying to find a quality babysitter ONE day a week - especially when everyone else needs the same thing on the same day.

A 4-day school week is not the norm, just as a 4-day work week is not the norm. I cannot fathom why you are having trouble comprehending this, as well as why you keep dragging it into a question about kindergarten logistics in districts which you do not reside in nor have children attending school in.

All that's left is for you to post how great the education is in Dallas and also point out how you can get a $60k house with some land out there.
It seems to be working fine for Coos Bay. There are schools in this country that go 5 hour days in two shifts 12 months a year also. They work just fine too. By-the-way. Grades have gone up substantially since Coos Bay went to 4 day weeks. The kids get their work done and they don't spend as much time in School being babysat.

I did just check both Craig's List and the Itemizer/Observer. There are still good buys for $60,000 to $120,000 with land in the Dallas area. And yes the schools here are pretty good. Why should that be a problem for you?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
It is. The taxpayers pick up the Babysitting costs so parents can get out of their parental duties, and work. The common excuse is "We are both working so we can provide for our kids." Provide what? An empty home, latch keys, and two parents too wore out to be parents.

And what are you anyway, some kind of Cyber Stalker? The only posts you have made were attacks on me. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.
You should write a book so that as many people as possible can have access to your wisdom.

How dare those parents work for a living. Where are their values?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland