Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:33 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,520 times

Advertisements

I agree - I'm glad it is pretty safe here. If it were parts of Baltimore I would be scared to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 04:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's about light pollution interfering with observatories.

I thought that every place was concerned about light pollution. That's why so many places (different states, different countries as well as different towns) have those totally worthless dim yellow street lights.

Huh? Not hardly.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I know what you mean. I was used to the well lit street lights in my Chicago neighborhoods so the dark Portland streets were kind of scary for me when I first moved here.
Use an infrared night vision scope mounted to your hardhat. You will be surprised how well you can see at night while you ninja the back streets......

When I was a young'un & daddy was off at War, I roamed the streets of Milwaukee, WI......

Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Use an infrared night vision scope mounted to your hardhat. You will be surprised how well you can see at night while you ninja the back streets......

When I was a young'un & daddy was off at War, I roamed the streets of Milwaukee, WI......

Actually, I did use one of those little lights cyclists use on their helmets. Only I attached it to my purse strap. I used to sometimes see people holding small flashlights. One concern was stepping in the large puddles that form in the intersections of street corners in the dark. No one wanted to do that! Or slip on wet leaves. Or step on a cat.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's about light pollution interfering with observatories.

I thought that every place was concerned about light pollution. That's why so many places (different states, different countries as well as different towns) have those totally worthless dim yellow street lights.
The main reason they are used is that they are probably the most cost-efficient type of street light.
Saves a lot of money for the city.

The other reason is light pollution, as stated above.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 PM

Nothing to do with light pollution at all.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,010 times
whatever.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
whatever.
Ya gotta love the "Whatever". Kinda like an eyeroll.

If you really think it had to do with light pollution (original comment was about the lack of Christmas Lights) by street lights, show me where that was a decision maker. I happen to have sat on a committee that was selecting new municipal street lights in a community that was expressing concern about light pollution, and the vendors (plural) made it clear it was only a perception that their products reduced light pollution.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:44 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,627,441 times
This guy got his PhD in Physics from Cornell, and he seems to think that the sodium vapor streetlights reduce light pollution: Curious About Astronomy: How does light pollution affect astronomers?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
This guy got his PhD in Physics from Cornell, and he seems to think that the sodium vapor streetlights reduce light pollution: Curious About Astronomy: How does light pollution affect astronomers?
But that is not the reason they were put in or are used as originally stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland