Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 AM

499 posts, read 1,446,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Palm trees should be illegal in this state. I hate palm trees. They're quite tacky as they totally don't fit into the Oregon scenery.

That's just my opinion though.
Windmill palms are native to the forests of Asia. Just as the camellias, most rhodies and JAPANESE maples are. Who's to say what's appropriate in the PNW landscapes? Since the PNW enjoys the north's mildest climates we should celebrate that fact and grow whatever plants those climates allow us to grow - as long as they don't overrun native environments like hollies and ivies have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,974 times
Default Trachycarpus fortunei

Regarding Palm trees growing in the PDX metropolitan area,(I live in Vancouver, Wa.) the Trachycarpus Fortunei is one of the most winter hardy of the species. I have a female, nearly 30+ ft. tall and the male is nearly 20 ft. The female has been in the ground at least 20 years. It produces an abundance of seed which drop and grow on their own, like weeds. The freeze of 2004, snow and ice has never damage or killed even the small seedlings. I have also seen these palms growing in Seattle and Vancouver B.C. I also have many plants in gallons and 5 gallon pots to sell for a small cost.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,459 times
Brygar how can I get in touch with you. Iwould like to get some trees for my yardI also live in Vancouver Wa

Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,459 times
Default Palm Tree

Brygar how can I get in touch with you. Iwould like to get some trees for my yardI also live in Vancouver Wa

Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post

Windmill palms are native to the forests of Asia. Just as the camellias, most rhodies and JAPANESE maples are. Who's to say what's appropriate in the PNW landscapes? Since the PNW enjoys the north's mildest climates we should celebrate that fact and grow whatever plants those climates allow us to grow - as long as they don't overrun native environments like hollies and ivies have done.
I disagree with this, but that's more from an environmental perspective. Introducing new species into areas that they do not belong can cause issues. (Such as English Ivy and Scotch Broom.)

Admittedly Palm Trees are not going to be so invasive, but I can't stand the look of them either. I really have to wonder about the mentality (due to SAD) of the person who grows palm trees in such an area.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,807 times
We have palms here in central Oregon. We live in Redmond, the 'other' side of the mountain. Our climate is much different and more brutal than the valley and coastal areas. Our climate is High Desert with warm dry summers (100*+), and cold dry winters (0-5*). Our palm trees here do quite well. I believe we are a USDA zone 6b. Of course we have specific palm varieties that do well in the cold and dry. Many neighborhoods here have Needle Palms. I've seen some Mediterranean Fan Palms and a few Windmill Palms as well. Not to mention the cactus and yuccas that do very well here. In our own yard we have a Pindo Palm, Windmill Palm, and Blue Med Fan Palm. Not sure why some people have a complex not accepting palms as viable in Oregon when we have the same climate as areas in ID, NV, and UT where it is more common. There are quite a few species that will tolerate near zero or even below zero temps.

Here are some pics of our yard in Redmond.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,488 times
Trachycarpus fortunei and trachycarpus takil are completely hardy here, both are single trunked asian fan palms that grow in areas as various as southern Switzerland and the Pacific Northwest. Butia capitata, or the pindo palm, is rarer here in Portland but the Argentine native a (blueish leaved feather palm) also survives here in well-drained soil. More common than the pindo, the European fan palm (chamaerops humilis, a multiple trunked tree) is present in fair numbers around the city. Other zone 8 hardy palms (sabals and date) have been grown here with short term success, they succumb to our long cool temperatures with root and crown-rot eventually. There are many other hard-to-get palms that could live here with the right soil and drainage and the desire and bank account to try them!
For those of you wanting the tropical look, Portland has two hardy varieties of banana, a hardy schefflera, the rice paper plant, cannas, jasmines, gingers, phormiums, cordylines, bottle brushes, oleanders, gardenias and a vast selection of exotics gathered from similar climates worldwide. Many were introduced to american gardeners from local plant hunters/collectors who have international prominence.
In the last few years many agaves, yuccas and succulents, that are also hardy here, have gained availability. The list of new amazing plants appears to be endless!

Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Findley View Post
Trachycarpus fortunei and trachycarpus takil are completely hardy here, both are single trunked asian fan palms that grow in areas as various as southern Switzerland and the Pacific Northwest. Butia capitata, or the pindo palm, is rarer here in Portland but the Argentine native a (blueish leaved feather palm) also survives here in well-drained soil. More common than the pindo, the European fan palm (chamaerops humilis, a multiple trunked tree) is present in fair numbers around the city. Other zone 8 hardy palms (sabals and date) have been grown here with short term success, they succumb to our long cool temperatures with root and crown-rot eventually. There are many other hard-to-get palms that could live here with the right soil and drainage and the desire and bank account to try them!
For those of you wanting the tropical look, Portland has two hardy varieties of banana, a hardy schefflera, the rice paper plant, cannas, jasmines, gingers, phormiums, cordylines, bottle brushes, oleanders, gardenias and a vast selection of exotics gathered from similar climates worldwide. Many were introduced to american gardeners from local plant hunters/collectors who have international prominence.
In the last few years many agaves, yuccas and succulents, that are also hardy here, have gained availability. The list of new amazing plants appears to be endless!
Fantastic reboot of an old thread!

I like seeing a few palms when I am in Portland. I always marveled over them as a kid. Rhodies and azaleas are probably my faves. I currently live in Houston. I have 1 native palm and quite a few sago palms. I don't feel like they are tacky at all. My landscape is varied and has a lot of native plants. A few exotics never hurt as long as they are not a nuisance plant that will spread uncontrolled (bamboo anyone?). Canna were difficult to keep alive for me in Portland. Better luck with golden seal and lavender and the more woody herbs.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Fantastic reboot of an old thread!

I like seeing a few palms when I am in Portland. I always marveled over them as a kid. Rhodies and azaleas are probably my faves. I currently live in Houston. I have 1 native palm and quite a few sago palms. I don't feel like they are tacky at all. My landscape is varied and has a lot of native plants. A few exotics never hurt as long as they are not a nuisance plant that will spread uncontrolled (bamboo anyone?). Canna were difficult to keep alive for me in Portland. Better luck with golden seal and lavender and the more woody herbs.
Make that ST Johns Wort not Golden Seal. OOPS!

Old 12-07-2016, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,267 times
Is it just me or are there a ton more palm trees going up lately? I'm a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland