Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I'm new to Portland so forgive me if this has been asked before but why doesn't the MAX have turnstiles or gates of any kind? Seems like that would solve a lot of issues...
It would mean erecting fences around every single stop, establishing turnstiles, placing machines at the entrance, and maintaining said machines constantly...which is something they are currently incapable of doing anyway. The current islands they now have are both too small and too numerous for this to be feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
It would mean erecting fences around every single stop, establishing turnstiles, placing machines at the entrance, and maintaining said machines constantly...which is something they are currently incapable of doing anyway. The current islands they now have are both too small and too numerous for this to be feasible.

It seems like a good idea to me.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 PM

110 posts, read 202,214 times
I had an extra 2 hr ticket I decided to use. When I showed the bus driver my ticket, she said my pass was displaying the wrong day code. I was almost not allowed on because of this technical issue and she proceeded to make it seem I was at fault for the issue. 'Luckily' she allowed me on but sternly told me I needed to text trimet about the issue and acted as if she did a huge favor for letting me on. I later found out sometimes you have to close and reopen the app to display the correct day code. What a load of crap.

Last edited by ladderoflocus; 12-29-2013 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladderoflocus View Post
I had an extra 2 hr ticket I decided to use. When I showed the bus driver my ticket, she said my pass was displaying the wrong day code. I was almost not allowed on because of this technical issue and she proceeded to make it seem I was at fault for the issue. 'Luckily' she allowed me on but sternly told me I needed to text trimet about the issue and acted as if she did a huge favor for letting me on. I later found out sometimes you have to close and reopen the app to display the correct day code. What a load of crap.
Actually it is not. In any city on any transit line anywhere in the world, if your ticket expires, it's expired. If you had a paper ticket with an incorrect date or day, it would no longer be valid. You should have checked to see that the day was correct just as you would have had to checked a paper pass to make sure it was showing the correct date. The rules as to the validity of a valid ticket or pass shouldn't change just because it's electronic.

She did do you a favor by letting you ride. It was like allowing someone to ride on an expired pass even though it appears that technically it was an error on your part and the pass was still good. But she didn't know that.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
She did do you a favor by letting you ride. It was like allowing someone to ride on an expired pass even though it appears that technically it was an error on your part and the pass was still good. But she didn't know that.
THIS exactly, sheesh. That kind of whining reminds me of the doofus in every TSA line that fumbles through their iPhone while standing at the front of the line because at no point in the past half hour of standing nearly still with nothing to do could they be arsed to make sure their 1) internet and e-mail was working or 2) the PDF had been saved locally or 3) they were signed into their airline app or 4) they even know their miles number etc. etc. etc. etc.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 AM

110 posts, read 202,214 times
The ticket wasnt expired. The date posted on the e ticket was for today and the expiration time was 1 hr and 50 mins later. However, the two letter code displayed "DM" but the bus driver said today's code was "IX". How was I supposed to know today's code and that I was supposed to reset then app? I loaded the ticket 10 mins before boarding the bus and checked that all the info was correct.

Last edited by ladderoflocus; 12-30-2013 at 01:25 AM..

Old 12-30-2013, 01:48 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
She did do you a huge favor. You did not have a valid ticket, and could easily have been refused.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
She did do you a huge favor. You did not have a valid ticket, and could easily have been refused.
Sad but true. It is not the drivers job to insure all the "I" gets dotted and the "T" crossed.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sad but true. It is not the drivers job to insure all the "I" gets dotted and the "T" crossed.
Seriously, why is crappy app development somehow a driver's concern? That's not part of their job at all, that's like getting mad at a flight attendant because the TSA sucks. Folks with gripes about the app and how it works should take it up with the developers or the folks who chose them, etc.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
I hope you will text Tri Met about the issue because she was absolutely right that you should. If there is a glitch in the system they should know about it. It shouldn't be up to the drivers to continue to look for the problem and have to assess the situation every time it happens. The driver has enough to do without having to make the decision as to whether or not some program is working properly. And the other passengers aren't going to appreciate the wait while he or she has to make that decision.

It sounds like a situation that, if not corrected, might lead to opportunities for people using the new program to cheat and use apps that are expired simply by telling the driver that something is wrong with the app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland