Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhgkb View Post
Thanks for the replies that is what I was thinking and hoping to be the truth! That this is an odd spell of cold.......We really want to move there and one of the biggest reasons is the mild temps compared to NE Ohio
One other difference is in insect population. There are extremely few mosquitoes in metro Portland (and frankly in Oregon, as a whole) compared to just about anywhere in Ohio. However, spiders and slugs are far more common. So is mold and mildew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 03:13 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I wonder what winter will bring us!
I have to admit, I'm hoping the rest of it will be "normal".

Since I've moved here, we've had an abnormally warm summer, wet fall (at least for those few days of craziness), then a dry fall, then freezing temps, and it's not even officially winter yet. I was hoping Mother Nature was going to break me in slowly, but it seems like she's throwing out all the extremes.....on the upside, I'll acclimate faster. LOL.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Winters here are mild but not as mild as you'd think (try 35-45 instead of the 25-35 you're used to at home) and very long. Basically late October to April feels not much different from January. Snow is very rare here because when it's cold enough, the rain usually stops but it can happen anytime from November to March.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:04 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
This morning, my phone told me it was 41 out with a 50% chance of rain. Are we finally back to normal? (Please tell me the cold snap has snapped.)

Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 PM

28 posts, read 65,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
This morning, my phone told me it was 41 out with a 50% chance of rain. Are we finally back to normal? (Please tell me the cold snap has snapped.)
Seems like it. It might snow on the 20th, though.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:51 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexygeography View Post
Seems like it. It might snow on the 20th, though.
Which is going to suck since I have to drive up to Seattle that day. Usually not a problem, but that stretch of I-5 between Woodland and Longview always seems to be worse then you'd think it should be with black ice.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
I have to admit. I went out yesterday. First time in how long, that I had only one layer on everywhere. I was in jeans, a t-shirt, ONE puffy jacket, and a scarf. I drove around with the windows cracked because the chill (but not frozen) felt great. It felt like a nice fall crisp day.

My friends/family all think I'm crazy. It's now 78 in SoCal. But as I told them, I think the sub-20 degree weather acclimated me for the nice 40's. I too am hoping this will remain for the rest of winter (from the charts, that's about normal).

This, I can do.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I have to admit. I went out yesterday. First time in how long, that I had only one layer on everywhere. I was in jeans, a t-shirt, ONE puffy jacket, and a scarf. I drove around with the windows cracked because the chill (but not frozen) felt great. It felt like a nice fall crisp day.

My friends/family all think I'm crazy. It's now 78 in SoCal. But as I told them, I think the sub-20 degree weather acclimated me for the nice 40's. I too am hoping this will remain for the rest of winter (from the charts, that's about normal).

This, I can do.
40s are the most comfortable temperature IMO.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM

37 posts, read 68,604 times
The weather in Portland will be much milder than Ohio. We very rarely get snow in town in the winters.

HOWEVER, please be prepared. The winters can be long and gray and drizzly. You won't need an umbrella but the lack of sunshine up here in the Pacific Northwest during the winter is for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland