Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM

178 posts, read 392,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The problem with Portland's business "climate" is that it's more small business, and less big business.
And that is a problem how exactly? It is small business entrepreneurship that made this nation great. It is big corporate business ownership of Wall Street, Main Street, and our capitals that is destroying it.

Where I live now there is very little support for small business, most every business you see, you can see almost anywhere blandsville USA, very little with unique local character. I long to be in a place like Portland, more independent and supportive of small business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:58 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Dave View Post
And that is a problem how exactly? It is small business entrepreneurship that made this nation great. It is big corporate business ownership of Wall Street, Main Street, and our capitals that is destroying it.

Where I live now there is very little support for small business, most every business you see, you can see almost anywhere blandsville USA, very little with unique local character. I long to be in a place like Portland, more independent and supportive of small business.
Problem in only that when people talk about a city's business climate, they're always going on about how many Fortune-500 companies there are, or looking only at the ones that hire thousands of people. That's all I meant. To me, it's not a problem, and it's absolutely preferable to be mostly small businesses. But ... it also means there aren't tons of corporate jobs out there, and that's what some people coming are looking for. On the plus side, if you want to make your own way in the world, it's a great place to do it for yourself. And I think that's what draws a lot of people, and where the "Where young people go to retire" thing comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
This may be a misleading article. Oregon is an out of the way state in which the bulk of the population lives in the upper left hand corner.

People are far more like to use moving vans to move to Oregon than when they go to and from states in which they can pack up the car a couple times and drive back and forth.
And it may not. Considering popular opinion is that it's 20-somethings doing the most moving to Oregon. And they're not likely to be hiring moving vans.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Discovery1, I don't understand the concept of the UGB. Isn't Portland basically quite developed all the way to East Portland and Gresham? Where is the boundary?
There is a lot of room to develop and grow within the city and the UGB encourages building smaller lots even on the outskirts of the metro.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:39 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Dave View Post

Not true. An area prospers when business customers are national/international as with large firms. Wealth flows into a city and creates opportunity. i.e. Seattle, SFO, Chicago and others.

With only small business catering to a local population, the same dollars are chasing around town and no real wealth is created.

From a quaint, local, folksy, fun to walk around viewpoint, I get your comment.
From a wealth creation and opportunity creation standpoint, it is not viable long term.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Not true. An area prospers when business customers are national/international as with large firms. Wealth flows into a city and creates opportunity. i.e. Seattle, SFO, Chicago and others.

With only small business catering to a local population, the same dollars are chasing around town and no real wealth is created.

From a wealth creation and opportunity creation standpoint, it is not viable long term.
Many people are happy creating local businesses that help support their lifestyle and give back to the community in some way or another.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:

That is, until the business fails. Look at Detroit.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Many people are happy creating local businesses that help support their lifestyle and give back to the community in some way or another.
Yes, true - I have no issue with your point.
The need of the individual is not really germaine to my comment. My comment regarding wealth and opportunity for MORE folks is what makes some large business valuable to a community. It can bring in outside money.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
That is, until the business fails. Look at Detroit.
When any business(es) fail, there will be lost value. But I do see your point.

I wonder what Detroit would be like if the auto industry never existed though?
My guess is it never would have attained the wealth and stature it did.

I think Detroit is an example of mismanagement, corruption and lost opportunity more than an example of what happens when there is large business in a city.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
When any business(es) fail, there will be lost value. But I do see your point.

I wonder what Detroit would be like if the auto industry never existed though?
My guess is it never would have attained the wealth and stature it did.

I think Detroit is an example of mismanagement, corruption and lost opportunity more than an example of what happens when there is large business in a city.
Thank you for making such good points. You are right on about Detroit, IMO.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
I think different people define the word "prosper" differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland