Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,310,215 times

Advertisements

The outrage was stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Jobs aside, it is also an affordable and very decent store. Probably another damn over-priced housing development will go in there ~ a much bigger gentrification threat than Trader Joe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
The outrage was stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Jobs aside, it is also an affordable and very decent store. Probably another damn over-priced housing development will go in there ~ a much bigger gentrification threat than Trader Joe's.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the story on the news last night. I think the people who fought against the Trader Joe's will regret it when they see what winds up going in there. TJ's bowed to their wishes, I doubt that any other business will. The community left themselves wide open for an ugly new over-priced apartment building on 27th and Hawthorne that resemble some of the housing projects I used to see in Chicago.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the story on the news last night. I think the people who fought against the Trader Joe's will regret it when they see what winds up going in there. TJ's bowed to their wishes, I doubt that any other business will. The community left themselves wide open for an ugly new over-priced apartment building on 27th and Hawthorne that resemble some of the housing projects I used to see in Chicago.
27th and Hawthorne? Which apartment building is that? I only know of the Safeway that was recently built there.

This site where the Trader Joes is a site that should be a mixed use building rather than a suburban style grocery store.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,738 times
Minervah - amen - that building on Hawthorne sure is ugly! SE Division is a mess too, you can barely walk down the street.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Minervah - amen - that building on Hawthorne sure is ugly! SE Division is a mess too, you can barely walk down the street.
That is a good thing because it means you aren't the only person on the sidewalk because the commercial street is active and growing.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 PM

210 posts, read 251,992 times
I lived in North Portland until very recently, am in the SE now. What I don't understand is why does every part and parcel of land have to be "developed" (a dubious term at best)? Why not turn it into a park or urban garden? Same for the Belmont goats. It's nice to have some urban green spaces, even if they're just empty lots!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwpdx View Post
I lived in North Portland until very recently, am in the SE now. What I don't understand is why does every part and parcel of land have to be "developed" (a dubious term at best)? Why not turn it into a park or urban garden? Same for the Belmont goats. It's nice to have some urban green spaces, even if they're just empty lots!
It depends on the site, but I do agree that parks are always nice which is something Portland has an abundant about of.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,633,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It will all depend upon what will be built there. I don't think a Trader Joe's is going to attract any more higher income people to the neighborhood. If instead of TJ's a New Season's moves in, their whole purpose will be defeated. I don't consider Trader Joe's as necessarily an example of gentrification because their prices are lower than many of the supermarkets at which people shop. But if an upscale store like Zupan's or New Seasons moves in, the lower income people will not be able to afford to shop there.

If, however, some type of lower income housing will be built, then that would be more in line of that which would benefit the people who are afraid they will be priced out of the neighborhood. It would really be unusual to see moderately priced housing to go up there. It will be interesting to see just what does. It could wind up something like this.

Building boom begins, goats depart

Displaced goats, displaced people.
New Season's won't go in--they already have a store down the street from the location. I think it's a loss to the area--Trader Joe's is a good store.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,633,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
27th and Hawthorne? Which apartment building is that? I only know of the Safeway that was recently built there.

This site where the Trader Joes is a site that should be a mixed use building rather than a suburban style grocery store.
Trader Joe's isn't really a suburban style grocery store. The NW location barely stands out at all and just as many people walk and bike there as drive (hence the tiny parking lot). I think they would have been a good neighbor. There is TONS of new housing going up in the area the Trader Joe's was going to go in. And there are tons of small stores but no anchor. The way that area is developing there will be too much housing and not enough amenities. I understand why Trader Joe's pulled out, but the neighborhood won't get anything better.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
New Season's won't go in--they already have a store down the street from the location. I think it's a loss to the area--Trader Joe's is a good store.
I didn't know about the New Season's being so near because I not all that familiar with the area. I was just trying to think of an example of a more upscale store.

I certainly agree, Trader Joe's is a good store and not an expensive one. I can walk out of their store with two full bags of groceries having paid the same amount I pay for one at my Safeway for similar items. The short interview I saw on the news with one of the people who campaigned for the TJ's not to go in refereed to the TJ's as bringing in greater gentrification to the neighborhood causing rent increases and housing costs. I don't agree with him that TJ's is the type of store that would do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland