Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwagen View Post
What a great comparison - thank you!

Salt Lake is a surprisingly cool, interesting city once you spend some time here - I'm very happy to hear that Portland had that vibe but even more so. Does it feel as easy to get around as Salt Lake?

We have been seriously considering Sugarhouse, so your search for a comparable is very interesting to me.

The outdoors factor is seriously important to us and we love that here - how would you say they compare in that area? We live in Holladay/Cottonwood right now so we are < 10 minutes from Big Cottonwood Canyon and that would be hard to give up. I know the mountains are farther away in Portland but you do have the added bonus of the coast - do all the parks and trails in town make up for the mountains being farther away?

I do feel Salt Lake has a ton of potential but we're also concerned about the smog issue getting worse as the area continues to grow.

Thanks again - your perspective is very helpful.
I grew up in the Holladay-Cottonwood area, and when we returned to Salt Lake after nearly 15 years in California, we ONLY considered Sugarhouse. We are 15 minutes to the airport, 10 min to downtown, 5 min to the University, the hospital, zoo, Red Butte Garden and the spectacular Museum of Natural History, 20 min to Park City, and 30 min to any ski resort. The neighborhood, being one of the oldest in the city, is rich with character and history. It's one of the more progressive areas, and the public elementary schools are some of the best in the county. You will find a lot of people say they live in Sugarhouse for geographical ease, but they (and I) technically live in Harvard/Yale or 15th & 15th, or even the 9th & 9th area. They are all great. Small homes and small yards, though, which sometimes bothers those used to more land in Holladay. Lots of people ride their bikes up Emigration Canyon, a mere 5 minutes away. Even Sunset magazine has caught on, naming Sugarhouse one of the best neighborhoods in the West (the current issue). Good grief, I sound like I work for the Chamber of Commerce. I just really dig the area. However, the winter smog is atrocious, which no tree-lined, bungalow-filled idyllic neighborhood can erase. It's thick, choking, and frightening. I don't know if the entrenched, going-nowhere majority party can, or will, do anything about it.

Sorry to get off-topic.

We spend an enormous amount of time in the mountains surrounding Salt Lake, but we couldn't believe how quickly we could be on a trail anywhere in Portland. It took us an hour to drive to the coast. Seeing Mt. Hood in the distance was breathtaking. It seemed like a great place to raise a family. So many pros. Salt Lake in the spring, summer, and fall is fantastic; wear a gas mask in the winter. I know, yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 PM

22 posts, read 41,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dig View Post
Salt Lake in the spring, summer, and fall is fantastic; wear a gas mask in the winter. I know, yuck.
Ha, our thoughts exactly. So many things we love here but that smog is terrible enough to make us at least consider other places. Wish I could afford to just have a warm weather home here!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,624,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The rain in Portland is more like the latter. Not really that much coming down, but it's the cloud cover that people who complain about Portland weather, seem to complain about. One downside to it though, is the ground. Can get pretty muddy during a long wet spell. Which is a bummer when it comes to parks (though great for making mudpies). As long as you're on the pavement, though, the rain shouldn't often keep you indoors.
Eh, the muddiness of Portland is easily overstated. Compared to other parts of the country that have a real "mud season" this isn't much to write home about.

You'll want boots and clothes you don't mind getting dirty, but you're unlikely to sink in up to your knees anywhere - maybe if you're playing in a tilled field. I hiked for years in the woods here in the peak of rainy season and never thought much of the mud.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM

638 posts, read 1,179,281 times
Here's a comparison of PDX and SLC air qualities. Not very flattering to either city.

American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Compare Your Air

Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,152,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Eh, the muddiness of Portland is easily overstated. Compared to other parts of the country that have a real "mud season" this isn't much to write home about.

You'll want boots and clothes you don't mind getting dirty, but you're unlikely to sink in up to your knees anywhere - maybe if you're playing in a tilled field. I hiked for years in the woods here in the peak of rainy season and never thought much of the mud.
The woods aren't a problem, usually, because the trees mitigate the rain falling. I was thinking more of grassy fields, etc. It can inhibit soccer, baseball, football, etc. playing. Not to mention ruining the turf.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:16 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,624,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The woods aren't a problem, usually, because the trees mitigate the rain falling. I was thinking more of grassy fields, etc. It can inhibit soccer, baseball, football, etc. playing. Not to mention ruining the turf.
True, you can tear up a field pretty well with cleats. But if I'm not going have a shoe sucked off in a foot of mud, I guess I don't think of it as being all the muddy compared to other places.

But you're right.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,152,331 times
No, nothing like shoes sucked off. But ... if you hit the ground, your knees are likely to get muddy.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiemama View Post
Here's a comparison of PDX and SLC air qualities. Not very flattering to either city.

American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Compare Your Air
Thanks. Your link actually goes to a comparison with Logan, UT, which is a ways north. Salt Lake is a good bit worse on the first two items. But interestingly the rate of medical problems seems to be less in Salt Lake then Portland, even considering the slightly smaller population.

Funnily, the air clarity has been good to great since New Years here, reminding us of what we love about this place. Still, the bad air will be back at some point. The bad air you can SEE is what gets to you.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 PM

56 posts, read 77,408 times
Hi, I wanted to reply to your post, I live in Portland, there are some good things about it, but as others have mentioned, there is a cold quality to the people here, and hard to make friends. The best way to get a good feel for the place is to visit for a couple of weeks and make your own decision. It rains here frequently, it's overcast often, which you wouldn't think would bother a person, but it does become tiresome. It is extremely liberal here, which is fine to each their own, but it makes for some odd politics and a rather strange sense of reality that is not frankly does not feel grounded. Just something to consider. Something else to keep in mind, it's a small town that has grown into a bigger city and in my opinion, the mentality has not caught up (it's a small town mentality.) There are a few very nice people who live in Portland, but they all seem to be transplants from somewhere else. I think it would be wonderful if you grew up here, you wouldn't know the difference. Not trying to put anyone down, just being very honest. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsnno View Post
Hi, I wanted to reply to your post, I live in Portland, there are some good things about it, but as others have mentioned, there is a cold quality to the people here, and hard to make friends. The best way to get a good feel for the place is to visit for a couple of weeks and make your own decision. It rains here frequently, it's overcast often, which you wouldn't think would bother a person, but it does become tiresome. It is extremely liberal here, which is fine to each their own, but it makes for some odd politics and a rather strange sense of reality that is not frankly does not feel grounded. Just something to consider. Something else to keep in mind, it's a small town that has grown into a bigger city and in my opinion, the mentality has not caught up (it's a small town mentality.) There are a few very nice people who live in Portland, but they all seem to be transplants from somewhere else. I think it would be wonderful if you grew up here, you wouldn't know the difference. Not trying to put anyone down, just being very honest. Good luck.
Thanks, appreciate your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland