Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:04 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Zombies!

By now you may be thinking I'm one of those drivers you see up on the steering wheel all stressed out trying to get from point A to point B, but I'm not. I just like to drive at a reasonable, safe speed. (maybe 5-7 mph over posted speed?) BTW, I haven't had a speeding ticket in ten years and twenty before that. Any others out there notice this too?
As others have said, it depends on what your point of comparison is. Compared to Chicago (where you're mandated to drive 10-15 MPH over the limit at all times, even in a parking lot), sure, people here drive slow.

But I've lived places where people more consistently drive slower.

Anecdotally, I'd say I often see a higher percent of drivers with WA plates driving slowly on city streets. Sometimes I suspect it's that some of them really live in OR and don't want to risk getting pulled over and tagged with a licensing fraud violation. OR doesn't have sales tax, but the licensing fees are higher as a trade. If you already paid the sales tax when you bought the vehicle living in WA (and they eliminated their excise tax), people think they can save a few bucks by continuing to hold the title there despite really living here.

Fraud goes the other way too, since people who haven't yet paid the sales tax like to register in OR to avoid paying it, and will eat the higher licensing fees.

Of course, we're also seeing an aging population, and I see quite a few 70 y.o.s whose driving and vision appears to be...suboptimal. When I was living down the street from a retirement home, I saw slow drivers a lot.

As big as a PITA it can be if you're in a rush, it's probably better that some people are driving 30 in a 35 rather than causing wrecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 12:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
Also, don't forget the "un-official" agenda of Portlands last mayor and his ilk.

To make driving in Portland as uncomfortable as possible to force people to use mass transit.

Maybe it's time to remove some of those bike lanes (that only get used in the summer) and go back to two lanes in each direction on some of the main streets.

Before people start screaming about that, those bike lanes can be shifted a street north or south through residential neighborhoods.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,301,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucher View Post
And don't expect them to accelerate from a green light either
Add not paying attention when at a left turn signal and because most have sensors, the light changes before others behind them can make their turn.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Also, don't forget the "un-official" agenda of Portlands last mayor and his ilk.

To make driving in Portland as uncomfortable as possible to force people to use mass transit.

Maybe it's time to remove some of those bike lanes (that only get used in the summer) and go back to two lanes in each direction on some of the main streets.

Before people start screaming about that, those bike lanes can be shifted a street north or south through residential neighborhoods.
Cigarettes are $11.00 a pack in NYC to make smoking as uncomfortable as possible to force people to quit. There has been scarcely a dent in the numbers of smokers in NYC. I don't believe grown adults crafted unofficially or otherwise an agenda to make driving uncomfortable in Portland. One because it wouldn't work and everyone over the age of five knows that and two because mass transit cannot cope with the demand that it presently experiences. What would Trimet do if ridership were to increase due to efforts to deter driving in the city?

But lets say you are right. That's the plan. Kill off the urge to drive in the city. Hmmmm. I don't know... if I were mayor I think it would be a lot easier than to make bike lanes on major streets. Mike... I've been to Portland a few times. Where are these bike lanes that are bothering you?? I'm serious. There are no bike lanes in Portland. I can't find any!! Come to Hillsboro. EVERY street worth the name in Hillsboro has a bike lane! Except in the Downtown Grid... ... hmmmm.... I suppose the idea is that cars shouldn't be blasting through downtown at 45mph so bicycles don't really need to be segregated... or other reasons. I don't know, I'm not a city engineer.

But... why should peds in residential streets have to suffer cyclists? The motorist elite mindset has got to end. Will end. Using a 4,000lb vehicle for one person to run errands must end. Portland cyclists do their thing year round. Winters are mild and Portland cyclists are hardy. Men and women alike. Every single day in NYC takes 1 hour off a persons life-span. This is an improvement! It used to be 2 hours. Cars are the reason breathing NYC air is bad for you, and the reduced emissions of modern cars is why NYC air is better than 20 years ago. That has plateued and car makers are not interested in making cars any cleaner than they presently are. Oregon does not force old cars off the road. Portland air is not as clean as it could be. Cars are the reason.

H

Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
Quote:
But... why should peds in residential streets have to suffer cyclists? The
motorist elite mindset has got to end. Will end. Using a 4,000lb vehicle for one
person to run errands must end. Portland cyclists do their thing year round.
Winters are mild and Portland cyclists are hardy. Men and women alike. Every
single day in NYC takes 1 hour off a persons life-span. This is an improvement!
It used to be 2 hours. Cars are the reason breathing NYC air is bad for you, and
the reduced emissions of modern cars is why NYC air is better than 20 years ago.
That has plateued and car makers are not interested in making cars any cleaner
than they presently are. Oregon does not force old cars off the road. Portland
air is not as clean as it could be. Cars are the reason.
Because Portlands roads are small and and when you mix cars and bikes, the cyclists always suffer more.
IF cyclists are the wave of the future, why say that residentials areas would "suffer" them?
They should welcome them!

Why force bike and cars together? Isn't that just asking for trouble?

BTW, this isnt New York, and in reality, not everybody in Portland is so militantly against cars as you seem to be.
Have you noticed cars are getting better engineered, and more econonmical and "green to drive?

The Passat TDI for example? A diesel car that gets over 700 miles per tankful??
Cars aren't going away.

And as far as "where are Portland's" bike lanes"?
Well it looks like since Portland doesn't have all that expendable cash that they used to have, they just can't throw away money on useless "feel good" and "public image" projects liked they used to.

Haven't you noticed that?
When the economy sours, people get more realistic on how their money is spent.
Those bike lanes are still there, they just haven't been painted over or maintained since Hales took over.
They are just disappearing like the "green and sustainable" trend that spawned them is fading away.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM

Because Portlands roads are small and and when you mix cars and bikes, the cyclists always suffer more.

That's only in a worst case scenario where a bicycle actually winds up underneath a car. In the usual flow of traffic, cars in a place like Portland have to be aware of, and yield to cyclists when necessary. Pedestrians as well. This greatly impacts a cars average speed through Portland. And not in a good way. That's why people like yourself would like to see bicycles removed from the traffic stream.

IF cyclists are the wave of the future, why say that residentials areas would "suffer" them?
They should welcome them!

Cycling, or something like it, is the wave of the future. You don't think this car centric paradigm is sustainable, do you? Maybe through the end of your driving lifetime but, really, you have to know that the party has to end, right? If you have children, don't you care about how their lives will be lived?

Why force bike and cars together? Isn't that just asking for trouble?

Why force bikes and pedestrians together? Isn't that just asking for trouble?

BTW, this isnt New York, and in reality, not everybody in Portland is so militantly against cars as you seem to be.
Have you noticed cars are getting better engineered, and more econonmical and "green to drive?

I only have to look around to see that not everybody in Portland is so militantly against cars. Neither am I. I'm just not a pig about it. I will rent a car for the day to make a trip to Seattle, and even though I have made the trip and still have 12 hours left on the rental and gas in the tank, if I have to grab a dozen eggs at the Thriftway, a mile away, I will use my bicycle. You'd use the rental. Neither do they hate cars in NYC. I actually owned cars there. Why I did that, I have no idea, its what you did if you were middle class I guess. But now I know better.

The Gold Standard for fuel efficiency in the U.S. in 2014 are the hybrids. They are proud of fuel economy in the mid 40's miles per gallon. I have no idea what 700 miles per tankful means and neither does anyone who doesn't know the size of the tank that is in discussion. Cute. 700mpt. Sounds impressive, and its meant to sound that way. May not actually mean anything. Probably doesn't. European diesels are hitting 65mpg but aren't allowed to be sold in the U.S. Doesn't matter, it isn't good enough, green enough or sustainable in the longer term. Only pure electric propulsion will ever realize the efficiency needed and the zero emissions targets necessary to make future transportation economically and environmentally sustainable.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:07 AM

121 posts, read 165,061 times
I've been here almost 7 years and Portland drivers especially are infuriatingly slow compared to anywhere else I have ever lived or driven. Speed limits are for the most part lower than they are in other areas, yet drivers consistently drive below the speed limit on uncongested highways and streets. I've never lived or driven regularly in any other area where traffic moves less than the speed limit when there is no congestion or adverse driving conditions present.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searching for prudence View Post
I've been here almost 7 years and Portland drivers especially are infuriatingly slow compared to anywhere else I have ever lived or driven. Speed limits are for the most part lower than they are in other areas, yet drivers consistently drive below the speed limit on uncongested highways and streets. I've never lived or driven regularly in any other area where traffic moves less than the speed limit when there is no congestion or adverse driving conditions present.
Eggsactly.

On a positive note, Portland metro has the best overall drivers of the places I've lived. (the zombies are not dangerous, just irritating) I rarely see any real bonehead moves in my daily driving.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searching for prudence View Post
Interesting. I've lived here eggsactly 1 year less than you. Portland's speed limits are lower than Washington State's but not lower than NYC's where I am from. Nevertheless in NYC I would blast through standing 55mph traffic on the Belt Pkwy at 80mph. Never had an accident either. Rather than curse the slowpokes I went around them and on my way. I am older now and have less to prove. I get on 26 in the afternoon at 185th heading east. Traffic is moving at a steady 60mph (five over the limit). Some of us are doing 65mph. We can do this until we hit the curves. On my trips through Hillsboro, Cornelius and Forest Grove traffic moves at whatever the posted limits are. If you are slower than that you will be passed. If you need to go faster you can try but it will be difficult in rush hour. I really don't know what you are talking about. It just isn't true. I'm calling you on it. You and the o.p. should read EnricoV's post again. I haven't seen a post that summed up the essence of a thread as that one in awhile.

H

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Interesting. I've lived here eggsactly 1 year less than you. Portland's speed limits are lower than Washington State's but not lower than NYC's where I am from. Nevertheless in NYC I would blast through standing 55mph traffic on the Belt Pkwy at 80mph. Never had an accident either. Rather than curse the slowpokes I went around them and on my way. I am older now and have less to prove. I get on 26 in the afternoon at 185th heading east. Traffic is moving at a steady 60mph (five over the limit). Some of us are doing 65mph. We can do this until we hit the curves. On my trips through Hillsboro, Cornelius and Forest Grove traffic moves at whatever the posted limits are. If you are slower than that you will be passed. If you need to go faster you can try but it will be difficult in rush hour. I really don't know what you are talking about. It just isn't true. I'm calling you on it. You and the o.p. should read EnricoV's post again. I haven't seen a post that summed up the essence of a thread as that one in awhile.

H
Read my post #10 as it clarifies the areas I frequent. I don't have an issue with the freeway traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland