Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:32 PM

70 posts, read 158,669 times

Advertisements

That is exciting! Not to knock on Radio Shack!

Also, with the proposed Bike Greenway going in on 57th st, it should be a breeze to hit Division/Clinton via a bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:21 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
I wish they would divert the cyclists around downtown Woodstock Blvd.

It's not bike friendly at all, and very dangerous as it is narrow, has on street parking, and gets very congested at times...

Interestingly enough, it's the clueless casual bike riders that use it the most.
The experienced bike commuters are wise enough to comprehend the dangers.
Once you get past 52nd going east, it's clear sailing though.

I keep expecting to see someone open a car door as a cyclist goes by, or a cyclist get knocked down by a side mirror or something...

Traffic congestion is really going to be something in that stretch as and when New Seasons finally goes in, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen really quickly.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-30-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 PM

58 posts, read 66,879 times
I have lived here in Woodstock for 7 years. I grew up in the Hawthorne Belmont area but was priced out of buying there because, oh, I'm not loaded lol. It's a great area for families, without being a soul sucking burb. Friendly, with lots to walk to. It's definitely on the up and up value wise as better businesses are slated to move into the Woodstock business stretch, the farmers market, and bc the elementary schools the border it (lewis, Woodstock and duniway)are excellent. I have a lot and a half and while my street is not the most manicured, people look out for each other here and and are incredibly neighborly.

It's probably not the first choice for hipsters, but they have the rest of inner southeast.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 AM

That is all great to hear. We are a blended family with 4 kids. So it is wonderful to hear how the area is well suited for families. One of the main areas we picked the area was due to Woodstock elementary and their immersion program.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,445 times
This is all awesome information! I'm a mom in my late 20's and my family is moving to the Woodstock area later this month. We love that Reed College is so close with its trails and that there are so many options for restaurants, grocery stores, etc- plus, Woodstock is still so close to so many other neighborhoods! Are there any groups or places around Woodstock to meet other families with kids? We don't know a ton of people in Portland to begin with, but we definitely don't know anyone with kids. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2014, 11:21 AM

Wait until the annual Woodstock neighborhood festival later this summer.
Great time to meet people with all the activities going on.

Halloween is great also.
People walk the kids up and down Woodstock to all the businesses and then the older kids hit the neighborhoods later.
They even supply crossing gaurds to cross the street.

Eastmoreland has always been the Go To place for Halloween.

The farmers market by the bank is also great.

Sorry I can't give you more info regarding kids, as mine are all grown with families of their own and I am not really connected that way anymore.
When your kids start school, you'll find out what's going on!

I can tell you that if you are interested in cub and boy scouting, there are some great packs and troops in the area (T64 and T351 come quickly to mind).
(If you get past all the political BS, it's a great program for boys. Most people that grumble about scouting don't have any real experience with it)

Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Stopped by Otto's this weekend to pick up some of their sausages and brats...
I forgot how good they are!

Went to Safeway first and looked at their prices, got ticked off, and then out of curiosity went to Otto's and checked them out.
A wee bit more expensive but well worth it!

I used to go there years ago to have my salmon and venison processed, but since they started their outdoor sausage grill, it's gotten really crowded and I avoided it.

Big mistake!!!!!!

Another big plus for the Woodstock neighborhood!

http://www.ottossausage.com/

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-09-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 12:59 PM

We were in Portland yesterday closing on our house in Woodstock. Yippee! We took a stroll around Woodstock Blvd. and it is indeed a fish market (https://twitter.com/PDXFishMarket) going into the old Radio Shack. And, yes, Otto's Sausage was very busy.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM

I'm excited about the fish market.
I'm sure it will be good, but I'll bet it will be expensive though.
Parking is really going to be a hassle, too.
I suppose you could park in the Bimart or Safeway parking lots and walk across the street though.

Looks like Putter's is shutting down.
I wonder if we will see the start of construction for New Seasons soon.

Has anyone ever seen the mural on the west side of the Red Fox vintage store?
It's well done, but a little bizarre.
It's the one on the Lutz Building shown here, but it's not really a good photo and doesn't show much:
http://racc.org/about/portland-will-...lection-summer

But I like it better than this one on Woodstock and 82nd:
http://ourhappyblock.blogspot.com/p/...donations.html

People are concerned that it will disappear with the New Seasons construction, but that's what happens when you paint murals on the side of buildings.

Woodstock is almost unrecognizable compared to the way it looked thirty years ago.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-13-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 AM

Putter's is moving to 73rd and Woodstock; signage is already up.

New Season's is actually painting the same mural on their building. I, too, am curious when development will begin. The only thing I have heard is that there is a tentative opening of Sept 2015.

Bakery? Well, Grand Central Bakery is coming to the neighborhood. It will be located in the old Flower shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland