Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:01 PM

23 posts, read 56,228 times

Advertisements

After all the pictures I've seen of Portland and even a new TV show, I can clearly see it raining, clearly see raindrops on the ground which means it's not drizzling, yet so many people don't have hoods/umbrellas its crazy. Just wondering if Portland is like Seattle where drizzle is abundant in the rainy season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:10 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
It mists, it drizzles, it rains. Sometimes. We don't usually bother with umbrellas, they are too easily lost. More frequently we wear jackets with hoods if we think there will be more than a drizzle.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:32 PM

418 posts, read 728,039 times
More people use umbrellas than the whole "real Oregonians don't use umbrellas" myth would have you believe. That said, I don't use one because I forget to most of the time. And then when you get where you're going, you have a wet umbrella to deal with.
But Nell's right, the rain comes in all flavors.

Yesterday we got a "thunderstorm with no thunder" and it rained about as hard as I've ever seen, but only for about 15 minutes. Even the stalwart Oregonians stayed in the doorway of the Lowe's I was shopping in to wait for that to pass.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM

219 posts, read 313,516 times
I would describe that rain yesterday as a fairly light rain but heard the word "torrential" used by more than one person to describe it. I guess its all relative.

We had one in msp the other day where i forgot to close the garage door and in the four seconds it took me to get out there and back, i was soaked through to my underwear.

But the one yesterday was certainly rain and not drizzle.you definitely needed an umbrella for that.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
It rarely rains "hard". I moved to Texas in 2006 after 40+ years in Portland. It is relative yes, compared to the monsoons of south Texas, Portland has mild rains. Thunderstorms are pretty tame as well. San Antonio terrified me my first year. T storms in San Antonio are like Armageddon compared to Portland. I enjoy a good misty rain in the morning once in awhile. Plenty to be had in Portland.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:38 PM

846 posts, read 609,948 times
it rarely rains hard enough to use an umbrella. A nice water resistant jacket suffices on most days.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
More than drizzle but generally less than what you'd call "light rain".

Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmilw View Post
Yesterday we got a "thunderstorm with no thunder" and it rained about as hard as I've ever seen, but only for about 15 minutes. Even the stalwart Oregonians stayed in the doorway of the Lowe's I was shopping in to wait for that to pass.
Yeah, that was insane! I swear each raindrop weighed an ounce.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I don't own an umbrella and it's never really occurred to me to go buy one. I suppose it might be nice once or twice per year, but I likely wouldn't have it on me when it'd be useful anyway.

I do own a raincoat, but it hasn't been out of the closet in years. It's maybe been used twice in the last five years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
More than drizzle but generally less than what you'd call "light rain".
Pretty much.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 PM

418 posts, read 728,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
I would describe that rain yesterday as a fairly light rain but heard the word "torrential" used by more than one person to describe it. I guess its all relative.

We had one in msp the other day where i forgot to close the garage door and in the four seconds it took me to get out there and back, i was soaked through to my underwear.

But the one yesterday was certainly rain and not drizzle.you definitely needed an umbrella for that.
what part of town were you in? Were the people who called it torrential standing right next to you while it was falling? Because the rain where I was would not have been called "fairly light" by anyone. But that kind of storm is also very localized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland