Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 04:42 AM

647 posts, read 1,523,172 times

Advertisements

I sometimes think I'd have better luck in Portland with all of the weird people there. Or am I wrong and will my luck be the same there as it is anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 7,255 times
Couldn't hurt to try could it?
Im over 50 now so my perspective is different from younger guys obviously but I do think there are more free spirits here when compared to your average West Coast city.

On the other hand many people believe that to display the same mass produced "edgy" bumper sticker on your Prius or Volvo that everyone else in town does somehow makes you unique.
If you think "vintage" trucker hats and oversized pastel colored sunglasses are cutting edge fashion then you will like it here.
There seems to be a pork fixation taking hold as well, if you think all things bacon are good then you will like Portland. There is a building boom going on now so rents/property values will continue to increase, in effect, this place isn't cheap anymore.

If you cycle, hike, ski, paddle, fish, trail run or just hang out in coffee houses and discuss art you will probably like it here and find a friend or two to share it with.
Portland isn't any weirder than Berkeley, SF or Santa Cruz its just larger than most weird towns and has many beautiful outdoor attractions nearby.

As for the weather...
Don't let the current dry spell fool you, when the rain and permanent cloud cover arrive for Winter (Oct-June) you had better be prepared to be in relative darkness for months on end, not weeks but months.
I think that May and June are the hardest months to deal with because cold wet weather persists well into mid June and by then its already been 7 months since the sun has been out for more than a few minutes at a time.
Good Luck and happy hunting!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Maybe, maybe not. I have always loved the women in Portland, and it is where I found my wife. But dating in Portland is still dating, it requires a lot of work and relies on a lot of luck and timing.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I sometimes think I'd have better luck in Portland with all of the weird people there. Or am I wrong and will my luck be the same there as it is anywhere else?
find a girlfriend in Portland
probably not if you are looking for one...

The 'keepers' always arrive by surprise.

Fortunately I never had to waste relationships and feelings on dating, I just had a lot of great friends that eventually resolved into something greater. (Tho a BUNCH of wonderful options got married on me while we were great friends.)

That is fine, as you want to snag the right one.

The PNW is not known for 'dating'... as above mentioned... best to attend clubs / activities / volunteer at events / or community sports that attract the kind of people you enjoy being with.

btw... Everyone is weird... don't let that hinder your progress in life. Some are keen to cover it up... others like to expose their weirdness. Much better to be genuine, regardless. Not to make a statement to others, but to be true to your heart, and watchful of the heart's of others.

Nurturing is the bond and purpose of a genuine relationship.

You will come to know and appreciate that, The sooner you practice it, the sooner you will arrive. (I hope to do so before I turn age 80) nearly 40 yrs married, and loving it. (That could be considered weird)

Old 09-13-2014, 11:02 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,673 times
Br careful what you wish for.... You might just get it?
If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 09-15-2014, 12:29 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Depends on your age range, the age range you are looking for and what about you makes you "weird." Dating in Portland is difficult, however, despite having a large number of single people.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:30 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Give it a whirl but also realize that your quirks may not match their quirks.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
VERY hard to find a partner in this city. People are not open here.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:28 PM

21 posts, read 23,083 times
It's weird, some people say they have problems and others have no problems. My friend is new to the area and he is always dating some new girl. Apparently there is no shortage of women for him but he gets out a lot and mingles. Usually any time we go out to do any thing he is meeting people. I think if you are an outgoing person as well you should have no problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: