Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 PM

80 posts, read 312,696 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm researching the Portland area for a potential relocation, and I'd like to know where the good areas are. We're interested in safe neighborhoods, good schools, but moderately priced (not Lake Oswego, we're not rich).

I'm specifically interested in the Tigard/Beaverton side of town. Is that a good spot to target?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 AM

Thumbs up What about these areas?

From reading through the forums, these are the areas that people speak highly of (in no particular order)....

Laurelhurst
East/West Moreland
Sellwood
Hillsboro
Tigard
Beaverton
Lake Oswego
West Linn
Happy Valley

I would really appreciate any comments on the housing, schools, and safety of the above areas. Also, please feel free to add or subtract from the list.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 AM

66 posts, read 247,207 times
Hi - nearly all of portland is pretty safe. There are bad pockets like anywhere but it's not like "this block is good , the next is bad" like some cities. I stick to the same parts of the city so I will give my uninformed opinion.

Laurelhurst - this is really just portland proper. Lot of big houses and no apartments. Not much shopping or other things to do in this immediate area but it's just really a small subsection.
East/West Moreland -nothing going on here. The only thing that comes to mind is reed college, a hoity toity school so maybe that will give you some idea
Sellwood- uh, oaks park?
Hillsboro - little mexico
Tigard - beaverton, part two
Beaverton - decent place I guess but I don't personally like it - lot of shopping and apartments
Lake Oswego - rich people
West Linn - what?
Happy Valley - who's this?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 AM

615 posts, read 1,172,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantajo View Post
Hi - nearly all of portland is pretty safe. There are bad pockets like anywhere but it's not like "this block is good , the next is bad" like some cities. I stick to the same parts of the city so I will give my uninformed opinion.

Laurelhurst - this is really just portland proper. Lot of big houses and no apartments. Not much shopping or other things to do in this immediate area but it's just really a small subsection.
East/West Moreland -nothing going on here. The only thing that comes to mind is reed college, a hoity toity school so maybe that will give you some idea
Sellwood- uh, oaks park?
Hillsboro - little mexico
Tigard - beaverton, part two
Beaverton - decent place I guess but I don't personally like it - lot of shopping and apartments
Lake Oswego - rich people
West Linn - what?
Happy Valley - who's this?
So basically what does your take on West Linn mean(what)???
Also seems you don't really recommend the Portland area....

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM

66 posts, read 247,207 times
I just meant I know very little about West Linn. Portland is great, a lot of people really love it. Most of these places are not exactly what I consider portland and I don't know a whole lot about them, that's all. No one else was answering so I thought I'd give it a shot.
All of these areas are fine actually, it just depends on what you want to be close to. All would probably have good schools, all would be safe, and some would be moderately priced.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:56 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
I like burlingham? (sp?) - east where the Lewis & Clark College grounds are located - lush

Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Hello all,

I'm researching the Portland area for a potential relocation, and I'd like to know where the good areas are. We're interested in safe neighborhoods, good schools, but moderately priced (not Lake Oswego, we're not rich).

I'm specifically interested in the Tigard/Beaverton side of town. Is that a good spot to target?

Thanks!
Price range will dictate for you, the above mention all have plus and minus but in the overall pic they are large areas with better than parts and other not so good areas, can you narrow your choice? for example, Bull Mt, tigard or Allen Blvd beverton?

Old 01-06-2008, 10:22 AM

Thumbs up Thanks for all the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantajo View Post
I just meant I know very little about West Linn. Portland is great, a lot of people really love it. Most of these places are not exactly what I consider portland and I don't know a whole lot about them.
Thanks for the reply! Are there other areas that are more like Portland, or is downtown the only place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
I like burlingham? (sp?) - east where the Lewis & Clark College grounds are located - lush
Thanks for the reply! I pulled it up on Google Maps, and I think you're talking about Burlingame? I'll add that to our list, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Price range will dictate for you, the above mention all have plus and minus but in the overall pic they are large areas with better than parts and other not so good areas, can you narrow your choice? for example, Bull Mt, tigard or Allen Blvd beverton?
Thanks for the reply! Like you said, I think what will narrow it is the price. We'd like to be in the nicest area possible that our finances will allow. I'm really just looking for confirmation that these all qualify as "nice areas", and then we'll start looking for some rental houses. If we find that certain areas are out of price range, they'll be excluded.

I should also mention that I'd be working in Tigard. I suspect that will help narrow.

Are there any areas that should be removed from that list?
Are there other "nice areas" that should be added?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Default Tigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
Thanks for the reply! Are there other areas that are more like Portland, or is downtown the only place?

Thanks for the reply! I pulled it up on Google Maps, and I think you're talking about Burlingame? I'll add that to our list, thanks!

Thanks for the reply! Like you said, I think what will narrow it is the price. We'd like to be in the nicest area possible that our finances will allow. I'm really just looking for confirmation that these all qualify as "nice areas", and then we'll start looking for some rental houses. If we find that certain areas are out of price range, they'll be excluded.

I should also mention that I'd be working in Tigard. I suspect that will help narrow.

Are there any areas that should be removed from that list?
Are there other "nice areas" that should be added?
OK, I'd go for tigard since you are going to be working there, look up bull mt neighborhood, durham st, mary woodward elementery school. CFT elementary is a new building but a little crowded from my understanding. I have rental units in the old town area, not great for the family life. Good luck, Tigard has a kicking police force and do a really good job keeping the town together, it really is just a combination area including Tigard, Beverton, Tualatin all within one mile of each other, by the way go to Yan's in old town, the Best Chinese in the world, do not let the building fool ya! good luck You will learn all the side streets quick to stay off 99W.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Is this the spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
OK, I'd go for tigard since you are going to be working there, look up bull mt neighborhood, durham st, mary woodward elementery school. CFT elementary is a new building but a little crowded from my understanding. I have rental units in the old town area, not great for the family life. Good luck, Tigard has a kicking police force and do a really good job keeping the town together, it really is just a combination area including Tigard, Beverton, Tualatin all within one mile of each other, by the way go to Yan's in old town, the Best Chinese in the world, do not let the building fool ya! good luck You will learn all the side streets quick to stay off 99W.

Just so I'm clear (), this is the area you're talking about...?
Mary Woodward Elementary School, 12325 SW Katherine St, Tigard, Oregon, United States - Google Maps
It's between the school and Durham.

Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland