Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM

38 posts, read 166,914 times

Advertisements

I have read all over the place that Sherwood is supposed to be this really great family friendly town/city-whatever. However, i'm wondering, is it expensive compared to some of the other places I listed?

I think Beaverton is big enough to find more affordable areas. I am looking for the cheapest areas with the hope to buy one day...long way off and rent in the meantime.

I don't really know much about Tigard, Tualatin or Hillsboro...
Hillsboro doesn't seem to have very good schools-but for a few... Think that will be improving as they grow?

I really prefer more established neighborhoods vs. new ones. I'm not fancy and don't care at all about poshy homes. I care more about having nice mature trees around, good schools, parks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:43 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,075 times
Hi there,

I live in Sherwood and I have to say that compared to the other areas you have listed, yes it is more expensive. It is a nice place. Small. Great school district but definitely on the pricey side.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
I didn't know about Sherwood until malone's post, but I was already thinking that central Beaverton is likely to be the right place for you. Older homes, big trees, the farmers' market in the park across from the library... definitely worth a look.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM

716 posts, read 2,817,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allimiller View Post
I really prefer more established neighborhoods vs. new ones. I'm not fancy and don't care at all about poshy homes. I care more about having nice mature trees around, good schools, parks, etc.
What you describe has Forest Grove written all over it.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM

38 posts, read 166,914 times
Default great

Great! Thanks guys!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
I grew up in the Tigard/Tualatin area and lived for a while in Hillsboro after college. Based on your criteria, allimiller, I would recommend Tigard.

Particualarly, the Murry Hills area. The home prices aren't particularly cheap, but to be honest, there isn't that much of a difference in home prices in any of the areas you mentioned, and, having looked at apartments in the area (I ended up in Tannasbourne) that area of Tigard is slightly cheaper for rent. And there are some really neat old neighborhoods in the area, coupled with some newer parks and commercial development (you'll be close to a grocery store). Also, you are a bit closer to Beaverton, and so a little closer to the MAX line and more convient to a freeway that heads into Portland. (As opposed to more southern areas of Tigard. Tigard is actually pretty big.)

I've never been a big fan of Beaverton. Beaverton proper is probably the least "nice" area. There are some decent places on the edges, both toward Portland and to the west, but they are a lot more expensive.

I would defintely NOT recommend renting in Tualatin. Most of the places to rent are seriously run down, or new but built very poorly. Things are either cheaper for a reason or seriously overpiced for what you get. When looking for a place to rent in the greater metro area west of Portland, there was nothing in Tualatin I would even think of considering.

As was pointed out, Forest Grove may be an option as well. Sometimes I wish I had lived there instread of the eastern part of Hillsboro; however, something to consider is that Forest Grove is pretty far out there in terms of proximity to Portland. And if you aren't going to be working in the area (Forest Grove or Hillsboro), you not going to have a very happy commute, west or south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland