Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

IMHO find a place on the west side of Portland in the city and do the I-5 drag until you find a job closer to where you want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 PM

49 posts, read 47,643 times
Cool. And this job will relocate me every year or 2 so I feel like if I hate the commute I'll take the relocation. If I really enjoy Portland then I'll stay longer and maybe plant myself there. But I don't think Salem would give Oregon the best chance of winning me over

Old 07-28-2015, 08:55 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Salem wouldn't be my 'druther either.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 735 times
We (late 40's, no children) looked for about a year when were looking for a place in Portland. We settled on the Pearl, because it had good nightlife, condos (we didn't want a yard to maintain), and a lot to walk to.

We looked in SW, near PSU and the art museum, but the streets down there seemed to roll up pretty reliably at sunset, left to the homeless folks. Not that there aren't homeless folks in the Pearl (there are lots!), but there are also lots of not-homeless on the streets in the Pearl in the evening. I got the sense that, aside from students at PSU, most of SW is older people (retired and then some).

NW around 23rd between Burnside and Lovejoy would probably remind you of Georgetown. It's close to I-5 as well, so it might be a good alternative. "Spendy", as they say in Oregon.

SE around Division and 30th is definitely a hot area. Lots of shops, lots of restaurants. Get off Division a block or two and there are many nice houses.

NE is a little sketchier (some folks would call it "real"), but around Concordia/Alberta Arts are a lot of things to do.

Housing prices: downtown condos are in a seller's market right now, with prices easily over $400/sf and many much higher. I get the sense that the nicer parts of SE and NE, especially areas like Mt. Tabor, are going to be like Woodley Heights, and much of the rest is like NW out by AU. Parts of NE PDX will be like NE DC.

Transit: MAX (sort of like the Metro) is great: clean, mostly above ground (a few tunnels), well-lit, comfortable. If it goes near where you are going, it's a win. The city buses are good, generally comfortable and on schedule.

The traffic can be brutal; I agree with the other posters that you should try a short-term rental in whatever neighborhood looks good first, before committing to a year lease or buying.

Oregon POINT (The POINT - Public Oregon Intercity Transit) runs buses between Portland and Salem, but it's about an hour or more each way (depending on traffic). Amtrak is also about an hour. There's nothing like METRA or PATH (heavyweight commuter rail) between the two, just Amtrak.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Thanks again. I will be moving out this Saturday and start work the 24th I think I will commute like I'm going to work for the week and see if it is or isn't too much for me to handle. If so, where should I consider from wilsonville to Salem? I was considering Milwaukee area since the subway is coming but idk the area so recommendations would be great.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
There is a bus that goes from Wilsonville to Salem. I don't know any more than that but I just heard about it this week. Welcome to Oregon!

Old 08-12-2015, 07:39 PM

How's tualtin?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBayer View Post
How's tualtin?
It is pretty, has Bridgeport Village and is still only about 24-30 minutes from downtown Portland. I just drove there a few days a go and I love the feel of the area.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:05 PM

609 posts, read 808,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
There is a bus that goes from Wilsonville to Salem. I don't know any more than that but I just heard about it this week. Welcome to Oregon!
But wouldn't that bust just dump him wherever in Salem and he'd have to take another city bus to work?

Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
But wouldn't that bust just dump him wherever in Salem and he'd have to take another city bus to work?
Good point. I think it goes to the capital building but I am not sure. I would love in Wilsonville and just drove to Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland