Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:49 PM

609 posts, read 809,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
You said that your friends thought that Oregon was on the water like Seattle and San Francisco. Just pointing out that much of Oregon is, in fact, on the water!
My bad. I meant Portland. They also think we have white Christmases! LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 951 times
Honestly best of luck try it out and see if you like it. It has got a lot to offer and Tinder will be your best bet in the dating field here. And while the inner Portland neighborhoods are definitely gentrifying and getting whiter, the state as a whole and the metro is getting more diverse by the minute. Beaverton and Hillsboro are examples of burgeoning non-white communities, and this trend is true throughout the state.

I'd suggest Inner N/NE Portland. Young, but much cheaper than the SE and NW neighborhoods.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:46 PM

166 posts, read 133,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
This job I am looking at offers a relocation package to any location and Portland is on my mind. The geographical location is perfect for me because I like Oceans, Mountains, and to be near big cities. I come from Tn and consider myself a liberal, but I'm not the social justice warrior type of liberal lol. In addition, my work hours would be from 445 am to 1pm. Is Portland even worth those hours?
No, it isn't worth it. I made the same mistake by thinking this city was gonna have everything I wanted, it turned out to be a joke of a city. You would be better off moving to a better city like Vegas or someplace in Texas, or even Seattle is better than here.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,650,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntorun1180 View Post
No, it isn't worth it. I made the same mistake by thinking this city was gonna have everything I wanted, it turned out to be a joke of a city. You would be better off moving to a better city like Vegas or someplace in Texas, or even Seattle is better than here.
Exactly, he's right. Those are all no-income tax states or cities in states, a heck of a lot better than impoverished Portland. There are few cities that can compete in boredom with Portland, unfortunately. It's very clear that this is "Child Rearing Central" (ugh, "rearing," what a HORRIBLY mediocre word) because nothing is open past 10 p.m. except for fast food and there's borderline nothing to do the vast majority of the time unless you consider stuff like Saturday Market "something to do." I mean, look, it's fun and all, but it's literally not something you can see more than once per year without being hopelessly bored out of your mind. Because we live on the Waterfront, we probably go 3-4 times per year just to kill time and almost every time it's like, "Yay, more of the same nonsense." May be super fun if you're from back East and you read about the Saturday Market as some awesome thing, you went once, and you loved it. But after that, it's the same crap every time. Nothing ever changes at all.

About the only thing that I love about this city is something I'm trying to avoid, which is the amazing craft beer. You can easily get yourself in trouble drinking too much in this city because it's depressing enough to warrant it, that's for sure. I have no clue how there aren't more alcoholics in this city. I mean, when it starts to get dark at 4:30 and rains on you constantly, and there's really nothing else to do, it's like... yay, craft beer! This stuff is amazing! lol. So the only thing I like about Portland I am now intentionally avoiding as it does nothing for my personal relationships, motivation, or life in general ha ha.

PS: Tinder isn't what you use to date in Portland. That's GRINDER given the population in this city ha ha ha.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM

I don't know, I think there are plenty of alcoholics and drug addicts in this city, you just don't know how bad it is because they all work minimum wage jobs and are too busy waiting for their next government handout.

Portland is a great city to be a minimum wage junkie in.

And you are so right about how this city just dies by 10 pm unless you want to sit at a bar watching depressed people drink themselves to death. And of course Tinder works well here because people are too anti social to actually talk to other people that they have to rely on the internet to find them dates. But then again, so many of the girls here are just tattooed cows that it isn't worth talking to most of them.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,650,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borntorun1180 View Post
I don't know, I think there are plenty of alcoholics and drug addicts in this city, you just don't know how bad it is because they all work minimum wage jobs and are too busy waiting for their next government handout.

Portland is a great city to be a minimum wage junkie in.

And you are so right about how this city just dies by 10 pm unless you want to sit at a bar watching depressed people drink themselves to death. And of course Tinder works well here because people are too anti social to actually talk to other people that they have to rely on the internet to find them dates. But then again, so many of the girls here are just tattooed cows that it isn't worth talking to most of them.
Oh god, the girls here are the worst. We always joke that a "Portland 10" is like a Los Angeles 5. What passes for "a cute girl" here is like a girl who you can imagine, MAYBE, with an extreme makeover, could have some sort of attractiveness possibly below it all. Like, "Aww, she's kinda cute, like if she just didn't have those 18 tattoos, and if she dyed her hair back to brown instead of pink, and ripped the nose ring out, and took a shower, and maybe shaved her legs, and also wore some stylish clothes, she could be pretty cute! Nice face structure, anyway."

Also "not fat" here means like 20 pounds overweight for girls. In Los Angeles it just means what it means in the English language -- no unnecessary body fat.

I have traveled to many cities across the U.S. in my years and you cannot find uglier women than in Portland. It's the worst. If you find a hot girl here, cling on for dear life, because it's a rare commodity. This is a great place if you dig the granola look, though, like the "I showered last week and my hair is nappy" kind of thing, or if you're into fat chicks, this is also an awesome place to be. Same with if you love alternative people, like hipster guys and wannabe groupie girls, definitely a good place to be.

If you have traditional standards of beauty and like, you know, actually hot chicks, then this is rough.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:03 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,628,583 times
That was unnecessarily demeaning.

But as a statement of fact, yes, there are lots of tattoos here. Piercings and "faux-hippie" are also not uncommon. If that's not to your taste, Portland may not be your ideal dating scene.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
That was unnecessarily demeaning.

But as a statement of fact, yes, there are lots of tattoos here. Piercings and "faux-hippie" are also not uncommon. If that's not to your taste, Portland may not be your ideal dating scene.
As they say, the truth hurts, and more people should know the truth about Portland before moving to this wasteland.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:48 PM

335 posts, read 331,229 times
I can't believe the cascade of negativity in the last few messages! Is this just the "don't move to Portland, we're full" people sounding off and trying to be clever?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:03 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,304,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I can't believe the cascade of negativity in the last few messages! Is this just the "don't move to Portland, we're full" people sounding off and trying to be clever?
Yes and a ips address check may be in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland