Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 PM

686 posts, read 805,257 times

Advertisements

Just curious what Portlanders are doing for work that they always complain about the cost of living, specifically rent.

am I way off here that some of the complainers are long time residents that are stuck in "the good ol days"?

It's a rapidly growing city and is getting more expensive every year. In order for a city to grow and restore, the COL must rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 07:45 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
Moderator cut: snip

The primary issue is that we have limited housing and the urban growth boundaries make it prohibitive to have enough new housing to make it affordable. Low and the lower end of the middle class have been priced out of the market. It's basically messed up leadership inherited from California. The affordable housing is now in Vancouver.

Last edited by delta07; 01-08-2016 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 AM

The days of $500, and in most nice areas $1000/mo rent are gone, which I why I ask the question: what are people doing for a living that complain about rent increases?

I remember when I moved here 8 years ago I thought it was expensive when I was renting a 3 br apartment for $900/mo. Then I saved and bought a home for just a bit more per month and have continued to build off of that and we are in our "forever" home on a half acre with plenty of privacy and sq footage for less than we could rent this place for.

I get it. No one wants a rent increase, just like I don't like property tax increases.

Last edited by delta07; 01-08-2016 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: unecessary

Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 AM

846 posts, read 609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

The primary issue is that we have limited housing and the urban growth boundaries make it prohibitive to have enough new housing to make it affordable. Low and the lower end of the middle class have been priced out of the market. It's basically messed up leadership inherited from California. The affordable housing is now in Vancouver.

Affordable housing WAS in Vancouver. I was shocked when I went to Zillow.

Portland may have a housing bubble with possible 10-20% overinflated prices. But Vancouver has a very dangerous one.

Last edited by delta07; 01-08-2016 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: removed reference to orphaned post

Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
Quote:
The affordable housing is now in Vancouver.
I don't know that I agree with that. I rent out two of my rooms and periodically check to see where my rents are compared to market. I looked earlier today and my two rooms are currently a steal. Six months ago, they were inline with similar rooms.

OP, despite what the official stats show, there are still a lot of under and unemployed people in this area. Keep in mind that will rent is increasing, it's currently an employer's market and wages are not increasing with rents. There are also a lot of "blue collar" jobs in this area which tend to pay lower wages as it is.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:

The urban growth boundary has very little to do with the cost in Portland. A cheap house on the outskirts of the metro doesn't make inner neighborhoods cheaper. The issues is we have more people moving here faster than we can build, and the cost of building already comes with a steep price tag.

Last edited by delta07; 01-08-2016 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: removed reference to orphaned post

Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,051 times
Quote:

Not entirely true. In 2005 they were building houses at a rate of 30 a day in Tucson, and prices were still going up until the crash. In 2006 Tucson had built 11000 homes (entire cities like Sahuarita) and they were selling at ridiculous inflated prices.

When a place is in a crazy bubble, it's in crazy bubble and there is nothing anyone can do until it pops. DR Horton, Lennar, and KB understand supply and demand. If they opened up all the land near Damascus, West Linn and Battle Ground it would have little to no effect on the house prices in Irvington or Sellwood.

Same with when they were building massive housing tracts in the desert. Houses in the Sam Hughes district near U of A or Catalina Foothills were still going for 500-1.5 million dollars and increasing in price regardless of them finishing 30 homes a day.

Last edited by delta07; 01-08-2016 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: removed reference to orphaned post

Old 01-06-2016, 03:45 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,568 times
It's because as incomes rise 3-5%/year on average, rent is increasing 10-20% or more. You can't keep up with those kind of inflation disparities.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:24 PM

151 posts, read 233,152 times
More than half of Portlanders rent their homes. What jobs do they have? They keep your grocery store shelves stocked and serve you in restaurants. They clean the streets and pump your gas and empty garbage cans in your favorite park. They serve as clerks in every office you enter. Some never finished school or have other disadvantages.

Last edited by delta07; 01-08-2016 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Please report bad posts instead of engaging the member.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPDXGuy View Post
More than half of Portlanders rent their homes. What jobs do they have? They keep your grocery store shelves stocked and serve you in restaurants. They clean the streets and pump your gas and empty garbage cans in your favorite park. They serve as clerks in every office you enter. Some never finished school or have other disadvantages.

Moderator cut: snip I was just curious to see what people do for a living. if they are happy with those jobs you mention above, great! But you can't expect a growing city to accommodate those salaries or hourly wages.

We all create our own accomplishments, issues, struggles,etc....If you want to continue to live your lifestyle and are fearful of getting pushed out beccause you can't afford it, find a way to make it work or readjust your lifestyle. That's called the game of life!

Last edited by delta07; 01-08-2016 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland