Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 08:38 PM

61 posts, read 122,297 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer any insights on the accuracy of zillow/trulia property valuations? We bought our home in Mt. Tabor in the spring of 2014. These websites both show or property value rising $150,000 to 200,000 in that short amount of time. We currently have no intention to move, but my husband is in a very mobile field. The possibility of selling and moving somewhere where we could buy a house almost outright is somewhat tempting... Just wondering if someone could give an idea of if these run high, low, or somewhat accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:53 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Our realtor says zillow and Trulia estimates are with 20%. You won't know for sure unless you pay for an appraisal. If you get a home equity loan or line of credit the bank will do a drive by appraisal and you can ask for a free copy. It won't be as detailed but better than $400 for a full appraisal just to appease curiosity.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:08 PM

61 posts, read 122,297 times
Thanks for the info! 20% is still a pretty big window, but it gives me a better idea!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 PM

311 posts, read 348,509 times
We are up $100,000 according to a bank appraisal from what we paid in 2009. Realtor we spoke with actually would want us to list $125,000 over what we paid. We are in inner SE. I just checked Trulia and it's estimating a bit lower.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:29 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Generally speaking Realtors consider Zillow and the like useless if it doesn't play to their interests and wonderful if it does.

Just consider it another data point among many in determining value.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:13 AM

472 posts, read 527,247 times
I would not spend money on a Bank Appraisals until its a part of the closing process. They always seem to come in just a few hundred dollars more than what you’re selling/buying for. This is because if it’s too low the house will not get financed, if it’s too high then the bank will ask what’s wrong with the house (why are you getting it so cheap) and it will not get financed.

Super simple solution: Use the sold feature on any real-estate websites to see what similar homes in your area have recently sold for, that will give you a picture of the true value and costs nothing.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:39 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
I would not spend money on a Bank Appraisals until its a part of the closing process. They always seem to come in just a few hundred dollars more than what you’re selling/buying for. This is because if it’s too low the house will not get financed, if it’s too high then the bank will ask what’s wrong with the house (why are you getting it so cheap) and it will not get financed.

Super simple solution: Use the sold feature on any real-estate websites to see what similar homes in your area have recently sold for, that will give you a picture of the true value and costs nothing.

Agree - the appraisal business is a scam designed to take $500-$1000 from purchaser. I am sure mortgage company makes a profit on these.

Over the years we have purchased probably 8/9 primary home and investment properties in 3 different states.

It always amazes me how I have had to fork over my $ only to get a document showing the place I want to buy is "amazingly," worth about what I am willing to pay for it.

Scam, scam, scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland