Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. I've lived in both PDX and SEA. The beauty is the magnet and, in my case, I followed the rest of my family up here. The weather isn't bad...it's actually comfortable for the body (physiologically) and not comfortable for the mind (mentally).

Read the Houston/Seattle thread. Its posters definitely say that Houston is the friendlier of the two. The question you have to ask is whether you want people as friends or hemlock/fir trees. Once up in the NW, many people hang out on their own, it seems, and these are quality/attractive/educated people.

Hey, come on out to PDX...why the heck not...you're just wrapping up school. If it doesn't work, you can relocate again. I've done it. And, regarding Texas, is it just College Station and smaller towns that drive you nuts? I hear that DFW and IAH are not hick-ish at all and, in fact, are extremely cosmopolitan and diverse. I spent 3 years in a college town and I H-A-T-E them. Give me an urban setting to go to school in, anyday. College towns have a real bad vibe with all the people that keep on hanging on that should have gotten the hell out of there.

Try things. Explore as you wish. If your degree is in an in-demand area in the NW, you might do ok in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 47,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Time for yet another Texan to weigh in on this thread. To say the least I was a bit put off by maybedivine's assessment of Texans in genereal as horribly rude, overly moral jerks .

When I hear from someone that Texans are rude and overly moral jerks, I just can't help but think that the problem isn't with "us" but more likely with you.
You see? This is exactly what I am talking about. My life has no bearing on yours, and yet you just can't help yourself. A comment turning it around onto anyone who doesn't think that God Himself beds down on the banks of the Rio Grande is SOP. Can we NOT do this?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:23 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,170 times
[quote=Redrover;2826098]Time for yet another Texan to weigh in on this thread. To say the least I was a bit put off by maybedivine's assessment of Texans in genereal as horribly rude, overly moral jerks . Like cdelena, I have spent more than 40 years here and for the most part I have found Texans to be warm and friendly and generally with a live-and-let-live attitutde. Texas has a very unique history (name one other state that ever had its own navy) and in some respects is almost like a separate country. This is a state that has welcomed new arrivals and thrived on the contributions of its citizens, even the ones who were born elsewhere like Sam Houston (VA) and Davy Crockett (TN). Texas has and still does embrace entrepreneurs of every kind and the cost of living as well as the cost of doing business in Texas is still head and shoulders above most of the rest of the county. Although the rest of the country is suffering mightily from the mortgage debacle and the plummeting housing markets, most of Texas is far less impacted by those economics. I could go on but you get my drift. When I hear from someone that Texans are rude and overly moral jerks, I just can't help but think that the problem isn't with "us" but more likely with you. So even though I am planning to move to the Portland area (actually McMinnville or other satellite town), I will always be a Texan in my heart and soul.

Is this Hank Hill from Arlen Texas? Do you by any chance work at Strickland Propane and have a son named Bobby?

To the OP: Why don't you just move to Austin if you are looking for a liberal setting?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM

246 posts, read 1,073,431 times
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAA!!!! That's all I can say. Nothing else seems to fit.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 AM

67 posts, read 199,055 times
I just moved here to Houston, Texas after living in Portland for over 20 years.
I actually posted earlier saying stay in Texas.
Well now that I'm in Texas, I HATE IT.
I going back to oregon ASAP.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Sorry california???, but I am most certainly not Hank Hill from Arlen with a son named Bobby - wrong gender, no son and have never even heard of Arlen. But I guess you think we have similar outloook on the attributes of Texas.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM

67 posts, read 199,055 times
Hey, King of the Hill is a great cartoon.
Arlen, TX is a fictional city. Doesn't exist.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Caught me there, I had no frame of reference at all given that I don't watch King of the Hill (I'm more of an HGTV, Food Network, and Lifetime Movie Network kinda gal).

Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 PM

9 posts, read 47,219 times
Default As for Austin...

Austin has it's perks, but it's just too close to good ole College Station for me. This place is like a black hole: if you stay too close it sucks you right back in.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Yes, totally. I pulled up stakes and left for good in 2000. I couldn't take it anymore, the whole culture. Portland was the first place I tried to get away to back in the 90s. As for your comment about Texans being overly moral, horribly rude jerks I don't 100% agree but I don't disagree either. It was kind of a subtle thing that drove me away, a coldness and know-it-all attitude from my German relatives, a feeling that they would have the last say on what reality was, and that I would be forever dealing with them and their condescending attitudes. Towards the end I lived in my deceased grandmother's house in Fredericksburg, Texas. When it boiled down to either staying in the hill country or going to Austin or San Antonio, I left and went to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I don't blame you for wanting to leave. Texans are kind of in their own world but don't seem to know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybedevine View Post
Thanks for the advice. It seems to me that it only takes another Texan to realize how crazy this place really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland