Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:41 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,562,947 times

Advertisements

First, I am NOT starting a fight about left or right politics, per se. So for those of you who really believe that no one from the left or right can ever do anything right, or can't do anything wrong, please take your 12 year old attitude somewhere else.

Second, I speak, as I would have to, in general terms. Yes, 12 year olds and sheep, there are exceptions to everything, but this is what I think is an agreed upon general perception of the vast majority.

That said, we have had a string of underperforming mayors recently. Monies for public works projects misdirected, the promulgation of homelessness (and all that comes with it), underperforming schools, a lack of confidence between the public and the police, out of control rent prices, ambitious tax plans to cure every ailment...

Now Mr. Wheeler will take the helm and he rolls in on a landslide of support.

How does he address these, and other, issues and make progress on them? Granted, no one is going to fully eliminate these issues, but how does he make it better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,467,906 times
First of all I am sincerely hoping that during his stint as state treasurer, he learned a few things and can get Portland's budget under control and wisely allocate monies where they are really needed, instead of catering to every foolish whim, trendy wish, and dumb SJW (Social Justice Warrior) idea that crosses his desk.

Start with the governmental basics, like city infrastructure, safety, etc, and leave the social issues on the back burner for a while.

(I didn't bring up the homeless issue because believe me, there will be dozens of posts in this thread about that.)

Portland needs a serious, boring, but effective mayor for a change.

Second, I am hoping that he can demonstrate some REAL "leadership" qualities, and get the people of Portland to rally behind him.
Currently, Portland seems to be like a large drifting ship with the missing captain drunk and asleep in his bunk.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-27-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,917,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
First, I am NOT starting a fight about left or right politics, per se. So for those of you who really believe that no one from the left or right can ever do anything right, or can't do anything wrong, please take your 12 year old attitude somewhere else.

Second, I speak, as I would have to, in general terms. Yes, 12 year olds and sheep, there are exceptions to everything, but this is what I think is an agreed upon general perception of the vast majority.

That said, we have had a string of underperforming mayors recently. Monies for public works projects misdirected, the promulgation of homelessness (and all that comes with it), underperforming schools, a lack of confidence between the public and the police, out of control rent prices, ambitious tax plans to cure every ailment...

Now Mr. Wheeler will take the helm and he rolls in on a landslide of support.

How does he address these, and other, issues and make progress on them? Granted, no one is going to fully eliminate these issues, but how does he make it better?
If the new mayor decides to tackle the homeless issue he needs to address the issue and reasons why we have homelessness. In NYC, Guiliani just moved the homeless out of view, away from the wealthy and tourist areas. Now NYC has a huge homeless problem that visitors don't see. This picture of a city that makes visitors feel like they are at Disneyland is a reason that transplants have moved into NYC and keep gentrifying a once unique city. I am worried that Portland will be in a similar situation if the homeless just get "moved" out of sight. That will make the homeless problem worse and more soulless people will move in to Portland because they want a Portland Disneyland. If Wheeler can effectively deal with homelessness... what an achievement and a statenent that NIMBYs have to be a part of a greater community. Right now the wealthy nimbys still rule this town!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
First of all I am sincerely hoping that during his stint as state treasurer, he learned a few things and can get Portland's budget under control and wisely allocate monies where they are really needed, instead of catering to every foolish whim, trendy wish, and dumb SJW (Social Justice Warrior) idea that crosses his desk.

Second, I am hoping that he can demonstrate some REAL "leadership" qualities, and get the people of Portland to rally behind him.

Start with the governmental basics, like city infrastructure, safety, etc, and leave the social issues on the back burner for a while.

(I didn't bring up the homeless issue because believe me, there will be dozens of posts in this thread about that.)

Portland needs a serious, boring, but effective mayor for a change.
I like what you say about leadership.

A strong and effective leader can effect change by getting people on board with a program for change.

Do you think he will lead by new taxes?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
If the new mayor decides to tackle the homeless issue he needs to address the issue and reasons why we have homelessness. In NYC, Guiliani just moved the homeless out of view, away from the wealthy and tourist areas. Now NYC has a huge homeless problem that visitors don't see. This picture of a city that makes visitors feel like they are at Disneyland is a reason that transplants have moved into NYC and keep gentrifying a once unique city. I am worried that Portland will be in a similar situation if the homeless just get "moved" out of sight. That will make the homeless problem worse and more soulless people will move in to Portland because they want a Portland Disneyland. If Wheeler can effectively deal with homelessness... what an achievement and a statenent that NIMBYs have to be a part of a greater community. Right now the wealthy nimbys still rule this town!
A fair point.

As a large city, homelessness will always be with us. But I feel there are answers there to reduce it and help the homeless. I am opting not to go down that discussion and thereby hijack my own thread.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:48 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,917,223 times
Quote:
A fair point.

As a large city, homelessness will always be with us. But I feel there are answers there to reduce it and help the homeless. I am opting not to go down that discussion and thereby hijack my own thread.
I would also like to see the mayor deal with crime, gangs and the sex industry in Portland. It's all connected and Portland doesn't seem to care that strip clubs are right up the street from a poorer Portland high school, Madison, on 82nd Ave. Madison doesn't have the rich nimbys advocating for its kids so the sex industry is literally outside their door. This is the kind of thing that Portland does to create the "two Portlands". There is the Portland that gets written up in every NYT article and this Portland, which is neglected by Portland's leaders and nimbys.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I would also like to see the mayor deal with crime, gangs and the sex industry in Portland. It's all connected and Portland doesn't seem to care that strip clubs are right up the street from a poorer Portland high school, Madison, on 82nd Ave. Madison doesn't have the rich nimbys advocating for its kids so the sex industry is literally outside their door. This is the kind of thing that Portland does to create the "two Portlands". There is the Portland that gets written up in every NYT article and this Portland, which is neglected by Portland's leaders and nimbys.
Mayor Adams tried to, but he ran into political problems. He was ambitiously arresting pimps in stings..., but as 95% of the pimps are black the ACLU accused Portland of racial profiling and we had to stop. So at least he tried.

But I agree 110% with you.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:54 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,536,374 times
Wheeler will be no different. The issue is not the mayor it's the ultra liberal constituency that never allows anything to get done. Wheeler will collect a paycheck, prices of things will rise, more fees will be instated. Any solution to any problem a Portland mayor comes up with will be unacceptable to a very wealthy very radical ultra left group of elites that controls Portland. Everything will be deemed racist, sexist, bigoted, not environmentally friendly enough the list goes on. So Portland mayors just ride it out collect a paycheck, pretend to love the homeless and never solve anything. Just what the constituency asked for. Status Quo and more bike lanes for the wealthy people on their 9,000 dollar Fujis in those ridiculous spandex biking clothed who work downtown. The ones who want the city to build homes for homeless people on the cities dime but don't want to see any homeless people near their homes or places of business.

One word why Portland mayors are always garbage: constituency
One word why our schools are garbage: constituency
One word why our police and public services are considered bad": constituency
One word why our prices are sky high: constituency
One word why our traffic is so bad: constituency

Everything wrong with Portland is the fault of the constituency.

You can't create a UGB the cry about the availability of housing. You can't vote not to build freeways then cry about the traffic you didn't plan for 20 years later. You can't coddle you children and tell them standardized test and grades are pointless then cry about low test scores and graduation rates. You can't police crime if you can't act on police training., that's like a doctor standing over person and then telling the doctor not to actually act on any of his ideas just you know make person better, don't touch them or assume anything. just make them better.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 05-27-2016 at 04:06 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 05:14 PM

2,670 posts, read 3,870,388 times
Quote:
Mayor Adams tried to, but he ran into political problems. He was ambitiously arresting pimps in stings..., but as 95% of the pimps are black the ACLU accused Portland of racial profiling and we had to stop. So at least he tried.

But I agree 110% with you.
Leaders with b---s, would not worry on iota about what the ACLU thinks.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,951,314 times
Only 9 posts in and it is clear as crystal why the Holy Trinity working together couldn't administrate this ungovernable mess of contradictory humanity called PDX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland