Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy1776 View Post
Gray Horse - I know Oregon is not full of "lazy hicks" and frankly I don't think that is a common conception about Portland, at least not one I have heard. I also have no problem with lazy hicks or anyone else that does not harm those around them.

I was more worried that Portland would have many inhabitants that may look down upon and ostracize someone with career ambition. Nothing about people being lazy at all, but perhaps of a world view that does not view ambition as a positive thing.

I can certainly live somewhere with diverse viewpoints (in fact I prefer it), I just don't want to end up in a city where I will be alone in wanting a good career, or where one is not available.

As mentioned in another post, I think my view is skewed because the Portland I have experienced the most is along the Waterfront and under the Burnside Bridge, but the people I was meeting definitely didn't seem the sort to be too keen on 60 hour work weeks.
Quote:
All - thanks for the prompt answers!

I guess rather than looking for specific jobs I wanted to gauge whether it is common or not for people to find high paying jobs and be driven in their careers. Job posting sites don't really give a good sense of the personality of a city.

I get the sense that the mainstream stereotype of Portland would be that it is more life style oriented in the work/life balance. My own experience is more hanging out at Saturday Market, Chinatown, and at the Waterfront, so I do not have a sense of the professional landscape of the city.

I guess I'd like to know if there was the opportunity to buck that trend and if I would be alone doing it, or if there is a decent sized minority that is more/equally concerned with the fate of their business/career than the restaurant scene or where they going hiking that weekend (no judgment at all here).

Don't get me wrong, I will certainly aim to be hiking/skiing/biking every weekend and enjoy the great food. I am just trying to get a feeling for what is out there options wise and the personality of the city's professional population.
Quote:
I haven't hung out at the Saturday Market, Chinatown or Waterfront in years. That was long before I had a career, family, etc. Priorities have certainly changed. Now, I want to be committed to my family and my career, enjoy Oregon's natural beauty, and not be ostracized for being career oriented.

Bler - You are certainly correct. I am sure that there are also several people interested in the restaurant scene that are not business owners and are also career driven. Sorry for any misunderstanding there.

All - thanks for the input, it sounds like while the opportunities may not be as plentiful in some locations, they do exist in Portland and being driven wouldn't make me a fish completely out of water.
So from your bolded comments, I feel you have the wrong perception of Portland and attitudes towards working in Portland. If I understand what you are saying.

Yes, there are those who come to Portland to soak up what they believe is "The Portland Experience" and are willing to take most any job they can find. These are not the people in any of the professions. It's a far cry from the people you meet under the Burnside Bridge to to those pouring into the office buildings either downtown or in the burbs.

I lived and worked in Portland for nearly thirty years. I was in both the legal and insurance industries. Working a 50 hour week was often the norm. In my experience, working hard and doing whatever it entailed allowed you to continue on with your job. It didn't win anyone any kudos or higher salary. No one got any extra pats on the back. It was like any place of business anywhere. Those people under the Burnside Bridge or Saturday Market may not approve but those are not the people with whom you would be working in your chosen fields.

I think the majority of Portlanders are concerned with their jobs or careers. The trend of people just coming to live are the minority. You wouldn't be bucking anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:59 PM

12 posts, read 8,727 times
Thanks Minervah, very helpful and happy to hear it!

Old 07-06-2016, 02:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Thanks Minervah, very helpful and happy to hear it!
You are welcome. When I like where I was working, I didn't mind the longer hours. I always seemed to have time to do the things I wanted to do.

I never minded working so much but I have to admit, I'm liking being retired a whole lot too.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:30 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
All - thanks for the prompt answers!

I guess rather than looking for specific jobs I wanted to gauge whether it is common or not for people to find high paying jobs and be driven in their careers. Job posting sites don't really give a good sense of the personality of a city.

I get the sense that the mainstream stereotype of Portland would be that it is more life style oriented in the work/life balance. My own experience is more hanging out at Saturday Market, Chinatown, and at the Waterfront, so I do not have a sense of the professional landscape of the city.

I guess I'd like to know if there was the opportunity to buck that trend and if I would be alone doing it, or if there is a decent sized minority that is more/equally concerned with the fate of their business/career than the restaurant scene or where they going hiking that weekend (no judgment at all here).

Don't get me wrong, I will certainly aim to be hiking/skiing/biking every weekend and enjoy the great food. I am just trying to get a feeling for what is out there options wise and the personality of the city's professional population.
Frankly, who the hell knows?

I mean, I suppose there may be a few opportunities but you have been so vague it's impossible to advise. If we knew more about your specific background and specific jobs situations you are seeking them maybe someone can help.

I will say this... Real estate and natural resources are broad fields and common ones in this area.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Frankly, who the hell knows?

I mean, I suppose there may be a few opportunities but you have been so vague it's impossible to advise. If we knew more about your specific background and specific jobs situations you are seeking them maybe someone can help.

I will say this... Real estate and natural resources are broad fields and common ones in this area.

Good post, for all we know the guy may be suitable for a gov't county job like working in a planning dept. and there is no way that is going to pay $100K in the PDX area.

Not sure why the OP is so vague.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
There are plemty of highly driven $100k+ jobs in PNW.

Seattle will have more per capita, but plenty in Portland. Most are not posted, but legal end of natural resources will be high paying. As is technical, or specialty sales. Marketing is big and pays well. (To the talented and experienced)

There are some trendy publications for Oregon businesses. Start there to get ideas and companies.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:44 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
Good post, for all we know the guy may be suitable for a gov't county job like working in a planning dept. and there is no way that is going to pay $100K in the PDX area.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure he couldn't at least get close to $100k working for Multnomah County or City of Portland. The salaries are pretty high in local government. State government? Completely different story!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:08 PM

82 posts, read 146,286 times
We live in a relatively expensive neighborhood and I would say almost all of our neighbors have professional careers (oncologist, engineers, nurses, tech professionals, ENT doctor, occupational therapists, DA, corporate lawyer, bankers, finance people, etc...). Many of them (both partners) work long hours. Most of them also travel, go boating, biking, hiking, play soccer, perform in choirs, spend time with their kids - you get the picture. They work hard but also enjoy life - the two are not mutually exclusive.

We also have a teenage son and most of his friends parents have demanding, "high paying" jobs and they still manage to find the time to do fun things and have a well balanced life.

You seem to have a slightly misguided perception of Portland because it is definitely not filled only with slackers.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post

Because he is a ______? (rhymes with troll) Ya think?!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Yup, 60+ hr workweeks are pretty normal for the high end jobs in zportland or elsewhere. Plenty of people doing it, I would be hard pressed to find a week of my 43 yr career that was less than 60 hrs, it certainly was not less than 60 during many yrs of Dairy Farm Boarding school. My last few yrs international (based near PDX) I would joke that I liked working 'half-day' on Saturdays, cuz you only had to work 12 hrs, rather than 24! My employees in USA don't seem to see the humor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: