Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:26 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,686,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Portland was the only violent protest in the country. It's not stupid to think we can have peaceful protests as we have them regularly. May I ask you if you have ever stepped foot into a big city. In NYC, which, you know is pretty big, peaceful protests are common. Maybe some small town anarchists get all excited. And you know get violent. Kind of like every Trump rally.

Yes, I have been in NYC, and I still remember the big peaceful protest march right after 9-11. But I'm not talking about NYC or anywhere but here. We are not having a peaceful protest here, nor am I talking about any other protest here but the one going on right now. Where were you about 12 years ago when the same thing happened over President Bush and the mess it created for everyone else NOT scurrying around in their protest??? So many downtown businesses were damaged. And did the protestors have to pay for that damage? Hell, no, the business owners did.

In that rioting 12 years ago a friend of mine was on her way to the airport with her family and rioters literally trampled on top of their car. Of course, they missed their flight. She told me that her husband so wanted to hit the accelerator and run over them - it really had them shaken up.

You are trivializing what's going on.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:30 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,912,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Yes, I have been in NYC, and I still remember the big peaceful protest march right after 9-11. But I'm not talking about NYC or anywhere but here. We are not having a peaceful protest here, nor am I talking about any other protest here but the one going on right now. Where were you about 12 years ago when the same thing happened over President Bush and the mess it created for everyone else NOT scurrying around in their protest??? So many downtown businesses were damaged. And did the protestors have to pay for that damage? Hell, no, the business owners did.

In that rioting 12 years ago a friend of mine was on her way to the airport with her family and rioters literally trampled on top of their car. Of course, they missed their flight. She told me that her husband so wanted to hit the accelerator and run over them - it really had them shaken up.
Calling a violent protest, a riot, is a bit overblown. If Portland Police had enough officers they could have stopped the violence. Protests will continue everywhere. Portland needs to be prepared. Every other city was peaceful. Homogeneous Smaller cities like Portland tend to get out of hand during protests.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:47 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,628,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I think you really need to educated yourself on our election process, in this country the POTUS is not elected by popular vote, and there is a good reason for this. If you look at election map of the U.S. by county, you will see a sea of red with only a few areas of blue. Just look at the county votes in Oregon, by county the state is overwhelmed by red but the state voted blue.

I'm not a fan of Hillary or Trump, but Trump won the election and he deserves the respect that office affords him, I would be saying that same thing about Hillary if she had won.
It's weird to me that LAND elects a president rather than PEOPLE, but that's kind of off topic for this thread.

The anarchists do it because they enjoy wreaking havoc. It is fun to them to hitch themselves to a peaceful protest and turn it destructive. They are likely mostly young and from privileged families, and this is how they defy their parents. In a few years' time many of them will finish college and go to work for B of A. Or sell Toyotas.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:47 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,005,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
This is now the regular reality of downtown Portland. And don't think there's a police department to stop it. There's not. They are way understaffed. They can't even pay potential new cops enough money to interest them to even take the job, because they know they'll have to turn a blind eye to all the social justice warriors running loose with impunity.

Portland's anti-Trump protest turns violent, as rioters rampage in Pearl | OregonLive.com
In my opinion, this is how the far left operates. When Obama was elected in 2008 did you see the republicans protesting in the streets? The left wants to rule by intimidation an if they don't get their way no one does. They will have their chance again in 4 years and maybe they will run someone who isn't disliked by so many people. We had to vote for the lesser of two evils and I mean evils. The out come is still voting for someone, in my opinion, is evil, we can just be thankful that we have a congress that can keep him in check.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:51 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,912,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
In my opinion, this is how the far left operates. When Obama was elected in 2008 did you see the republicans protesting in the streets? The left wants to rule by intimidation an if they don't get their way no one does. They will have their chance again in 4 years and maybe they will run someone who isn't disliked by so many people. We had to vote for the lesser of two evils and I mean evils. The out come is still voting for someone, in my opinion, is evil, we can just be thankful that we have a congress that can keep him in check.
No, "the Left" believes in our right to protest. Dictators try to keep the masses from speaking out against the govt. It's nice to live in a democracy where we can speak out every day. Protests will continue. For four long years.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:37 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,584,037 times
I believe of the other candidate had won their supporters would be doing the same thing. I don't mind people protesting but for heavens sake do not to damage to property or put the community at risk. Shout to high heaven but be civil.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:39 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,695,631 times
From the TOS, to which you all agreed when signing up: "Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants. " This thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland