Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:08 AM

149 posts, read 181,407 times

Advertisements

This is now the regular reality of downtown Portland. And don't think there's a police department to stop it. There's not. They are way understaffed. They can't even pay potential new cops enough money to interest them to even take the job, because they know they'll have to turn a blind eye to all the social justice warriors running loose with impunity.

Portland's anti-Trump protest turns violent, as rioters rampage in Pearl | OregonLive.com

Old 11-11-2016, 02:41 AM

26 posts, read 14,705 times
In Portland protests there had escalated and were being considered a riot.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:10 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times
I have been caught in riots like this while on the bus trying to get home from work over the years I worked in downtown Portland. The so-called "protesters" don't help their cause with this kind of behavior.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:27 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,914,979 times
In Portland you have the bleeding-heart protesters, who are usually jumping on the bandwagon of whatever injustice is popular to be against to give them something to do. They seem to range from bored people with nothing better to do to total nut jobs.

A few examples from my time there are:

1. Pioneer Square had two groups protesting. One group was about the whole Tibet thing and the other was about the dolphin killing. Well, I guess the square was too small for both so one group started protesting the other group saying they were infringing on their rights to protest.

2. A meat is murder protest with one of the protesters in a leather jacket and another few trying to take a break and hide behind their signs as they wolfed down fast food burgers.

3. One of my bosses at the time tried to engage a protester who was going on about avoiding the big banks by banking local. Only to have another protester ream her out for using said local bank because they were evil in some way.

Then you have the anarchists who are most likely the ones causing the damage and turned it into a riot. They always seemed to latch on to whatever movement was going on in town, but can't be bothered with the smaller daily protests. No idea how many there are, but based on what I've seen in the past I'd say no more than 50. What they are actually interested in is anyone's guess. Usually they'd show up when something was going on and then disappear the rest of the time. Maybe in their day to day they're just wearing regular clothing and minding their business? I have no idea.

After that group you have the far left politically correct Portland folks. They try to squash any speech that they don't like & want you to feel guilty for things that have nothing to do with you. I'd imagine you'd find a few mixed in with those riots as sort of mouthpieces just because they tend to be the loudest. There is a splinter group of the PC or Social Justice Warrior that is actually violent, but I don't know if they are in Portland now (as they weren't when I lived there).

Generally this was the group that made daily living in the city difficult and ironically pushed regular people toward Trump because those people were just tired of the PC bull.

After that group you have the street kids who live home free (homeless by choice) who usually get in on the action just because they've been hassled by the police in the past and also have nothing better to do. Often mistaken for anarchists as the style of dress is similar.

Lastly the old hippies who are still in Portland (most have been priced out) just sit at home shaking their head or perhaps commenting on how the new generation is too dumb to know the difference between protesting and rioting while trying to figure out how they are going to keep paying their bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
And don't think there's a police department to stop it.
With all the hyper vigilance on filming cops in Portland in the past few years some have taken the view of not policing certain areas. It's one thing to make sure they are doing their job, but entirely something else when you're surrounded by what from a distance could seem like paparazzi.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 11-11-2016 at 06:40 AM..

Old 11-11-2016, 06:48 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have been caught in riots like this while on the bus trying to get home from work over the years I worked in downtown Portland. The so-called "protesters" don't help their cause with this kind of behavior.
The violent ones were not part of the real protest which was covered by a local tv channel.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:32 AM

846 posts, read 610,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The violent ones were not part of the real protest which was covered by a local tv channel.
The violent ones are not part of the real protest? How did you come to this conclusion?

Old 11-11-2016, 07:57 AM

846 posts, read 610,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisinet View Post
This is now the regular reality of downtown Portland. And don't think there's a police department to stop it. There's not. They are way understaffed. They can't even pay potential new cops enough money to interest them to even take the job, because they know they'll have to turn a blind eye to all the social justice warriors running loose with impunity.

Portland's anti-Trump protest turns violent, as rioters rampage in Pearl | OregonLive.com
Lets see... we have anarchists blocking highways, smashing windows, starting fires.

That is not protestting but illegal activity. Now the real kicker is that the law enforcement ALLOW these rioters to continue with little repercussion. They break the law, destroy property, take other peopleś rights, and put citizens in danger unabated.

Portland officials should be embarrassed. But the responsibility lies with the citizens. When a state that is inhabited by people with no moral conviction this is the result. It is really quite pathetic

Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 AM

10,071 posts, read 7,249,255 times
For every action, there is a reaction.

Did anyone think electing someone as provocative as Trump would not elicit a reaction?

We are all complicit in this mess.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
The violent ones are not part of the real protest? How did you come to this conclusion?
No true Scotsman.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:08 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,911,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
It was well reported that the abarchists weren't part of the organized protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland