Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 11:51 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times

Advertisements

Exec Portland home defaced with 'move back to California' | Daily Mail Online

Wonder what would happen if everyone in CA started doing that to every Chinese and Middle Eastern person's home who keep buying up all of our houses and driving up the real estate costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 03:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Exec Portland home defaced with 'move back to California' | Daily Mail Online

Wonder what would happen if everyone in CA started doing that to every Chinese and Middle Eastern person's home who keep buying up all of our houses and driving up the real estate costs?
Is everyone in Oregon doing that to every Californian?

Old 07-03-2017, 03:40 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Is everyone in Oregon doing that to every Californian?
judging by posts here I would say a lot of people in Oregon are very unwelcoming to most people relocating from other states not just California

Old 07-03-2017, 03:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Again, is everyone in Oregon doing that to every Californian?

Just responding to your rather hyperbolic OP. Many posters here don't particularly care for transplants, but that type of vandalism is the exception.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:04 PM

356 posts, read 410,013 times
It's just the kind of plain Jane vandalism that you see everywhere. Yes, vandalism in the interest of anti-gentrification is everywhere. It's just aimed at Californians in Oregon. All locales have their choice demons and, thanks to Stu Holbrook (in honor of of James Blaine), Californians are ours truly. In this case it's likely about one person, who forgot to take his or her pills.

My perception is that gentrification in Portland is not something easily blamed on Californians. Wealthy Oregonians are doing a pretty decent job of it themselves. We should be more on the lookout for Beavertonians and Hillsboronians (sp?) who desperately want to move in to town, and pay dearly to do it in style.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
While I deplore the vandalism, his theory of why it happened changed by the time the Big O interviewed him:

'Go back to California!' graffiti on car, house stuns new arrivals, highlights old tensions in Portland | OregonLive.com

sounds like a neighbor vs neighbor issue over multiple issues. Could be he has a short-tempered jerk for a neighbor, could be that he and a neighbor have clashed over quite a few things.

Also, as a few of the commenters in the Big O point out, if he'd changed his license plates within the required 30 days after he'd moved in February, it's likely that far fewer people would have known where he was from.

Would a similar kind of vandalism have occurred that wasn't "California" based? Maybe, maybe not.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
While I deplore the vandalism, his theory of why it happened changed by the time the Big O interviewed him:

'Go back to California!' graffiti on car, house stuns new arrivals, highlights old tensions in Portland | OregonLive.com

sounds like a neighbor vs neighbor issue over multiple issues. Could be he has a short-tempered jerk for a neighbor, could be that he and a neighbor have clashed over quite a few things.

Also, as a few of the commenters in the Big O point out, if he'd changed his license plates within the required 30 days after he'd moved in February, it's likely that far fewer people would have known where he was from.

Would a similar kind of vandalism have occurred that wasn't "California" based? Maybe, maybe not.
LOL...PLEASE.

You're just making excuses. If he had changed his license plates? LOL...so to use your logic "if she didn't wear such short skirts, she wouldn't have gotten raped".

I lived in Portland for a couple of years and am now back in CA. There was definitely and anti-CA vibe, see it still exists.

Ironic, since so many in Portland like to come off as open minded liberals, some of them are major hypocrites who are very xenophobic.

And no, not likely to happen in CA. Because people come from all over the country and all over the world.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 PM

356 posts, read 410,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...PLEASE
I lived in Portland for a couple of years and am now back in CA. There was definitely and anti-CA vibe, see it still exists.
Yep, in an effort to protect the Beavertonians and the Hillsboronians, we blame it on Californians. Kinda handy, having them so convenient. Nothing to be ashamed of. It's Oregonians looking out for Oregonians. Why, if my grass dries out this summer, I'll be able to blame it on Californians! If my beer is warm when served, you know who's at fault!

Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 AM

266 posts, read 259,583 times
Default Native Oregonians Are A Minority

I'm sure a fair percentage of people complaining about Californians, etc. moving here aren't native born. Probably the mentality of "Now that I'm here, it's time to close the gate behind me to keep others out.".

How Many Among Us Are Native Oregonians? . News | OPB

Old 07-04-2017, 09:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're just making excuses. If he had changed his license plates? LOL...so to use your logic "if she didn't wear such short skirts, she wouldn't have gotten raped".
Nonsense. What I am saying is that this sounds like an on-going neighbor vs neighbor dispute that escalated to stupid vandalism. Would the car and house have been tagged if he hadn't been from California? Maybe, maybe not, but if it had happened, the vandalizer would likely have just found some other target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: