Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:04 PM

356 posts, read 410,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
You don't have to bicker with me so much you know....
It's not healthy.
You don't have to cherry-pick facts. It's not healthy.

Bickering? Not me. Just pointing out that while you could point us to loads to articles about downtown Portland, you chose one in particular. Presumably to make a point. There are lots of different articles that that would make different points.

No, I just prefer arguments that are good ones. Your point is good, but you don't make your case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:52 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Just posting about very recent happenings downtown.

I guess I could have talked about all the floating drug needles along the seawall downtown, or the begging crusty street kids, or the hobos and bums sleeping on sidewalks, the recent incident at Poet's Beach, or the recent shootings in Old Chinatown, but I guess nobody wants to talk about the bad stuff, just look at downtown through rose colored glasses and pretend everything is all right.

How come you seem to think that a positive point is more valid than a negative point?

BTW, it's a big difference when people only go downtown (maybe) once a month to a special event on the waterfront or something, rather than go downtown just to hang out because it's a cool fun place to be.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM

Another downtown downturn:

Chinatown's last dim sum restaurant has closed | OregonLive.com

Read the comments section.

On top of that, the crappy "Original Taco House" that most every longtime Portlander and native Portlander hated and loved at the same time closed too......

More east Berlin type condos for Powell Blvd and N 82nd, I guess.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:06 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Quote:

On top of that, the crappy "Original Taco House" that most every longtime Portlander and native Portlander hated and loved at the same time closed too......

New Year's Eve we drove past the Original Taco House, and I wondered to myself how much longer it was going to remain open. I think it was next day when I heard the announcement in the news. Weird.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:

Ugh who would actually go to Chinatown to eat anyways-

HK lounge has a great dim sum experience, plenty of space...
And the local taqueria 5 mins from our house is family run, traditional Oaxacan cuisine, and most importantly a great salsa/ toppings bar (love the stewed cactus and peppers) with $1.35 tacos and comfortable diner booths....

ETA- cities are living breathing things-
took relatives to downtown over the summer, walked briefly about in Chinatown- and lol- no "Chinese" walking about at all- to see Asian people- its out and about in 82nd that you see them (and the good eating has moved to)...
Dim sum is cheap comfort food, not really fine dining (it can be, of course)...

Old 01-03-2018, 02:25 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Chinatown used to be the only place you could go gamble in Oregon...my how times have changed. Original Taco House was "real" mexican food to me as a kid...

Old 01-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Original Taco House was "real" mexican food to me as a kid...
YEP, I think it was one of the first "real" full time mexican places in Portland when it opened up in the sixties.

I remember my parents taking us there way back then, and it seemed like a really exotic south of the border experience to a 12 year old kid from Portland Oregon, which was pretty naive and backwoods at the time.

Now it would be considered gringo-mex food.
Back then nobody even knew what "traditional Oaxacan cuisine" was, or even cared.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-03-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Ugh who would actually go to Chinatown to eat anyways-

HK lounge has a great dim sum experience, plenty of space...
And the local taqueria 5 mins from our house is family run, traditional Oaxacan cuisine, and most importantly a great salsa/ toppings bar (love the stewed cactus and peppers) with $1.35 tacos and comfortable diner booths....

ETA- cities are living breathing things-
took relatives to downtown over the summer, walked briefly about in Chinatown- and lol- no "Chinese" walking about at all- to see Asian people- its out and about in 82nd that you see them (and the good eating has moved to)...
Dim sum is cheap comfort food, not really fine dining (it can be, of course)...

Well, believe it or not, before the Pearl district was gentrified, Chinatown used to be a fun, fairly clean, vibrant Asian community that Portland was really proud of.
Lots of restaruants and shops, and it was a fun place to visit.

I know you are fairly new to the area, but Chinatown didn't use to be all UGH like you describe it now.

The Pearl was a nasty smelly district full of breweries, railyards and warehouses, and that's where a lot of the bums and homeless people hung out.

It looked like this (and a lot worse):

When the Pearl was developed, Chinatown became crime-ridden, and the Asian community finally had it and moved out to 82nd Ave.
The last straw was when the CoP was considering naming the main street through Chinatown........ Caesar Chavez Ave.

As far as HK and your taqueria, I hope when they go out of business, somebody doesn't tell you about how great the places are in their neighborhood across town, and then tell you how bad your places are/were!
(Sorry, your comments started to remind me of the Peacock Lane thread!)

There are tons of better places to eat now than there were back in the sixties when the OTH opened up. And if you wanted real Chinese food, you went to Chinatown.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-03-2018 at 04:36 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Well, believe it or not, before the Pearl district was gentrified, Chinatown used to be a fun, fairly clean, vibrant Asian community that Portland was really proud of.

I know you are fairly new to the area, but Chinatown didn't use to be all UGH like you describe it now.

The Pearl was a nasty smelly district full of breweries, railyards and warehouses, and that's where a lot of the bums and homeless people hung out.

When the Pearl was developed, Chinatown became crime-ridden, and the Asian community finally had it and moved out to 82nd Ave.
The last straw was when the CoP was considering naming the main street through Chinatown........ Caesar Chavez Ave.

As far as HK and your taqueria, I hope when they go out of business, somebody doesn't tell you about how great the places are in their neighborhood across town, and then tell you how bad your places are/were!

There are tons of better places to eat now than there were back in the sixties when the OTH opened up. And if you wanted real Chinese food, you went to Chinatown.
LOL.

Ms CaJerseyChick always makes me think she believes Portland was always as it is today and was no different before she moved there. I was not a native but I do remember Chinatown and the great restaurants and shops and everything else just as you describe them. Friends and I used to go there for good food and adventure.

Good times.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:23 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:

Back in the sixties is when I was born!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland