Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many years until downtown Phoenix becomes a destination spot for people in the valley?
5 years 26 34.67%
10 years 15 20.00%
over 10 years 10 13.33%
Won't happen... 24 32.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 03:08 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times

Advertisements

How many years do you guys think until downtown Phoenix becomes a major player in the valley, in terms of being a sought after place for real-estate, young people, restaurants and bars. For example, when my friends and I go out it's always to downtown Scottsdale or East Phoenix; I try to get them to go to downtown PHX but no one ever really wants to go/seems to take downtown Phoenix seriously. I feel as if most major American cities(besides Houston and or Dallas) have pretty big downtowns where a large portion of the population goes to for entertainment and what not. Downtown Phoenix is getting better, and during games or big shows it can get crowded, but outside of that it is pretty dead at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 03:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
I say in 5 years it will be a place to go to but will still be overshadowed by Scottsdale/Tempe. In 10 at its current rate, and pending a Coyotes/Suns new stadium it will finally be what it should have always been.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:21 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
I said 10 years but if regional light rail gets stalled or fails to expand it could be considerably longer.
Yeah, I think it's that important.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:29 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I said 10 years but if regional light rail gets stalled or fails to expand it could be considerably longer.
Yeah, I think it's that important.
I agree with you 100 percent about the light rail. A great transportation system that allows for residents to have access to downtown and what not is vital.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:43 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Given what the suburbs of the valley have to offer, what will downtown have that would make people want to drive from their suburbs, get to a light rail station/drive directly, and hang out downtown? I can see unique options like sports events, concerts, etc. having appeal once in a while to some but as for suburbanites wanting to go downtown on a steady basis, seeing it as a "destination", I'm having trouble envisioning that. Especially given the fact that all sorts of bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. of all stripes that exist all over the suburbs/other valley cities in droves.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
How many years do you guys think until downtown Phoenix becomes a major player in the valley, in terms of being a sought after place for real-estate, young people, restaurants and bars. For example, when my friends and I go out it's always to downtown Scottsdale or East Phoenix; I try to get them to go to downtown PHX but no one ever really wants to go/seems to take downtown Phoenix seriously. I feel as if most major American cities(besides Houston and or Dallas) have pretty big downtowns where a large portion of the population goes to for entertainment and what not. Downtown Phoenix is getting better, and during games or big shows it can get crowded, but outside of that it is pretty dead at night.
It already is, to some extent. Downtown has grown like a weed in the last five years and given the current pace, another five years will see an enormous change. The current development is bringing other development along with it (bars and restaurants, mostly). It still has a way to go, but it's pretty good now.

To people who live in the suburbs and like the suburbs, they're rarely going to go downtown anyway, and when they do, they're going to stick close to whatever destination they are visiting, and only see whatever they pass on the way to get where they are going. That's how you get people coming on here and saying things like It's good to see an AMC theater down there now, when that theater was built in 1990.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:48 PM

169 posts, read 281,415 times
People move to Phoenix specifically for the cheap suburban housing and the chance to have a backyard. If you want the high-rise urban lifestyle perhaps New York or Chicago would suit you better. Why must every city be exactly the same? Moderator cut: .

PS: real Arizonans go to Harkins, not AMC

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-14-2015 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: removed personal attack

Old 12-13-2015, 08:08 PM

551 posts, read 693,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
People move to Phoenix specifically for the cheap suburban housing and the chance to have a backyard.
Exactly why I am here. I can have a yard in the middle of a city. How many other cities can you boast that in, and be considered affordable? Not too many. Maybe some parts of FL or TX, maybe really far north, but not too many competitors.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
People move to Phoenix specifically for the cheap suburban housing and the chance to have a backyard. If you want the high-rise urban lifestyle perhaps New York or Chicago would suit you better. Why must every city be exactly the same? Moderator cut: .

I have lived just outside of downtown for > 5 years, including being there at this very minute. Prior to here, Ahwatukee, and prior to that multiple homes in Scottsdale. My post history should be pretty obvious.

The thing is, I have business interests in the Midwest, and Phoenix is convenient because it has direct flights many times each day. Since I can afford it, I'm giving Flagstaff a try for a few years as a third home. But this site only allows one "location", so rather than cramming 3 locations in one box, or updating every time I fly, I just put the location that I like best, not necessarily the one that is my primary "home".

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-14-2015 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Removed quoted personal attack and response

Old 12-13-2015, 10:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:

Yeah but we already have plenty of that type of housing stock. What's wrong with a diverse housing stock? Or diverse lifestyles where some people might enjoy being able to walk or take the rail places.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-14-2015 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: quoted text has been moderated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area