Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:33 AM

14 posts, read 34,322 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

I'm coming to the Portland area in February 2018 for a visit. If I like it I may start taking active steps toward moving either to the Portland or Vancouver area. A lot depends on where I can find a job and housing.

I keep hearing over and over again that I'm not going to be able to find what I'm used to in my price range. I am currently renting a 3-bedroom house in northwest San Antonio with a decent back yard for about $1700, including utilities (I need a house with a yard as I have 5 dogs). One bedroom is used as a study/library/music room, and one is a guest (for when my mother, my grown kids, or out of town relatives come over). I'd like a similar situation at $2000/month or less if possible. I'm not bringing anyone with me, it'll just be me and my dogs moving. I like to automotive work on my vehicles so having a garage is also a necessity.

I work in IT and I'm planning on starting a Masters Degree soon. It would be nice to live near a campus where I can study AND work, but that's not absolutely necessary. I don't want a long commute (an hour or less) and I don't mind taking public transportation. I'm also a part-time musician, so I would like to be relatively close to wherever a live music scene is (I play jazz, country, and indian/turkish/persian/mediterranean music). I would also like to be live not too far from a park or places where I can walk or hike with my dogs.

I might rent first and then buy after I am more familiar with the area. I'm a US Army veteran and I haven't used my VA home loan yet. As a renter and new to the region I won't be too picky, I just want something in good shape and not too old (the house I'm currently in is fairly new - about 5 years old - but it was clearly slapped together in a hurry by a substandard builder, and I've had tons of maintenance problems in the last few years - roof, plumbing, electrical, you name it. I've fixed most of it all myself since the maintenance company takes their sweet time, but that's all another story; suffice it to say that I can and will fix most things myself if necessary).

If you could recommend some places to visit while I'm there in February, I'd appreciate it. Other than income tax vs sales tax, I don't know what advantages or disadvantages there are to living in Vancouver vs living in Portland. I have some distant relatives in Beaverton and Gresham that I'll be visiting in Feb, so I'll primarily be in those areas, but I intend to do some driving around for research purposes. If there are specific neighborhoods or areas that you recommend (or don't recommend), I'd be grateful. Thanks again!

Last edited by atk305; 10-04-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:19 AM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I think you might have problems with your price range and you are going to have serious problems about the 5 dogs. Landlords who allow dogs will have a one or two dog limit and most of them have a size limit and restrict what breeds are allowed.

I'd be very surprised if you can find a house with utilities included. Some of the apartment buildings have sewer, water, and garbage included. House just don't. $350 for eclectic if you are careless (which people can be when they aren't paying for it themselves) and $100 for water and sewer, plus, what? another $100-$125 for internet? Included in your rent? Not going to happen.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:20 AM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Vancouver vs Portland, stay on whichever side of the river your job is on. The are tax reasons plus commute reasons to do so.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:57 AM

333 posts, read 328,780 times
3br house with a yard for $1800-$2000? Possible if you don't mind living some distance from the city center. Accepting 5 dogs? Unheard of. If you want to have 5 dogs, you're gonna have to buy. I live in a 3br house 12 miles from downtown for $1850 a month and I'm allowed no pets whatsoever. Not even one cat. Meanwhile, my neighbors multiple semi-wild cats basically live in my yard.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:09 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Rent with 5 dogs? Not likely. Plan on buying. I suggest you find a temporary home for the dogs once you have a job offer and can buy a home here.

Advice on living on the side of the river (Columbia absolutely, Willamette ideally) you work is sound.

My question of you is why the MS in IT? That is a field where it is what you know and can do that is important. I believe in keeping up in your given profession but I suggest you think through your goals. Oregon Graduate Institute in Hillsboro may be the school for you. UO also has a program for mid-level professionals. Here is what I found in Vancouver: https://ecs.vancouver.wsu.edu/computer-science-ms

You may also want to take advantage of the OR Veteran's Home loan program. http://www.oregon.gov/odva/Home-Loan...m-Details.aspx

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 10-04-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-04-2017, 11:27 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Many cities require kennel permits for multiple dogs - more than 4 dogs is common.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Hey readers, what happened to OGI? First I find it, then I don't.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:49 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Washington County does not allow dogs to bark outside for 15 minutes at a time so unless you are keeping five dogs inside or your dogs will be muzzled there is no way neighbors won’t complain. The Portland metro is very popular and families without dogs are having a difficult time finding housing so a single man with multiple dogs will not be ideal for a landlord. Portland is not cheap anymore so maybe you can find something in Forest Grove or outside of Salem.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:03 PM

14 posts, read 34,322 times
Thanks for all the advice, please keep it coming.

Currently I do not let my dogs stay outside while I'm gone. We have similar barking restrictions imposed by my current HOA, plus I have a neighbor who works an opposite schedule from me - he works at night and sleep in the daytime - so we are as respectful of one another as possible.

I do acknowledge that I have been fortunate so far to find landlords who rented to me. I will look into buying rather than renting.

Yes I work in IT, but my BA is in History. I didn't specify nor do I want a Masters in IT; the Masters will be either in History or Psychology and it's more for personal reasons than for career. Some time down the road, though it may come in useful if I may look into teaching part-time as an option.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:36 PM

Psychology, History... Portland State will likely meet your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland