Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:34 PM

5,489 posts, read 7,776,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Hey! Woodstock area is actually probably too pricey for OP to rent a house, much of NE feels too grungy to me, crowded and industrial.
I like not having a neighbor being able to look into my bathroom window!
There are so many little niches and fun neighborhoods in Portland, part of the charm I think, and we have plenty of friends off of Hawthorne, or over in St Johns and Killingsworth, or off of NE alberta street (all destination 'hoods, quaint and quirky) ... it just feels tighter there...

Maybe OP should drive around a bit, but yeah for public transport as close as possible is ideal...
The whole Irvington neighborhood is just a few blocks east of Emmanuel and full of big old gorgeous houses on large lots similar to Woodstock. But probably also WAY out of the OP's price range. There are lots of nice old neighborhoods over there that aren't at all grungy or industrial. Lots of apartment complexes along Broadway and Freemont that would have direct bus access to Emmanual. Especially Fremont Street which has a bus line that goes directly to Emmanual but I think there are a lot more apartments down more towards Broadway.

Commuting all the way from the far SE neighborhoods like Woodstock or Sellwood wouldn't make any sense when there are so many similar options much much closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 07:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
I would not recommend living the SE are and depending on public transportation to get to Emanuel. I had to do that when my doctor moved from Legacy Good Samaritan, a straight shot to NW from my SE neighborhood, to Emanuel when I lived in Portland. It got to be such a hassle I actually changed doctors. It took two buses forever to get me there.

There are some nice neighborhoods around Emanuel if you choose to work there. There’s no reason to locate to the S.E. part of town.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:02 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,875,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would not recommend living the SE are and depending on public transportation to get to Emanuel. I had to do that when my doctor moved from Legacy Good Samaritan, a straight shot to NW from my SE neighborhood, to Emanuel when I lived in Portland. It got to be such a hassle I actually changed doctors. It took two buses forever to get me there.

There are some nice neighborhoods around Emanuel if you choose to work there. There’s no reason to locate to the S.E. part of town.
Folks, I was just suggesting SE if OP wanted to use the car (I am guessing they do not work all 7 days a week right, and if on 12 hours shifts - as are many hospital employees- full time is THREE days a week)- as it is a stress free 15 minute drive. Not familiar with NE, have only for various reasons become intimately familiar with SE and since I do share custody of a child, love to have a big veggie garden, and big dogs- enjoy the space and the intimacy of knowing your neighbors (trust me, coming from hip inner city environs for 20 years, its a lot harder to get to know your neighbors)- that was my plug for the SE... but we do not know OP- but yeah there are some awesome neighborhoods in NE..... but they are a little different from SE...
(but can be awesome as well, just familiar with SE I guess, wouldnt want to dissuade the OP! as I said come out - drive around -check out all the apartment buildings going up there are a ton!)...

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 12-30-2017 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: