Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2020, 10:58 AM

5,469 posts, read 8,200,718 times

Advertisements

Even with the Orange Man gone, it never ends. Just in time for Thanksgiving. 10 Portland businesses damaged: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/cri...9-59996d358236
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 12:29 PM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
............ These people don't care if they are "denounced" by the likes of some mayor. They expect it.
They might care if the city leaders called out the police and the National Guard and arrested them and threw them in jail for a year or so. But city leader won't even "denounce" the destruction. That's what is meant by allowing it to happen.

Old 11-26-2020, 05:21 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,261,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They might care if the city leaders called out the police and the National Guard and arrested them and threw them in jail for a year or so. But city leader won't even "denounce" the destruction. That's what is meant by allowing it to happen.
They're essentially low level gangs focused on vandalism. They're tagging places. Welcome to Los Angeles. National Guard would be quite overkill for petty criminals, they need to be dealt with like gangs are dealt with. Making the city look like a police state would invite normies back to protest like what happened over the summer. Since they're hitting different business districts of the city, hard to predict where they'll go next.

3 people were arrested and charged for the vandalism on SE Hawthorne, according to the article linked above. Eyewitnesses think there were more, and they're being searched for.

Quote:
The following information was released about the three people who were arrested and booked into the Multnomah County Jail:

Chester Hester, 24 years old: 10 counts of first-degree criminal mischief
Nicole Noriega, 38: 10 counts of first-degree criminal mischief
Bailey Willack, 23: 10 counts of first-degree criminal mischief
First degree criminal mischief is punishable by a maximum of 5 years in prison and $125k fine.

The mayor did denounce it 5 days ago:

Quote:
“The people who engaged in criminal destruction are an affront to our community. They are working in direct opposition to the needs of the people they say they speak for. They are criminals. They are being played by political forces who are set on preserving the status quo or worse. There is no excuse for the criminal destruction to 24 businesses along NE Sandy Boulevard. The Mexican Consulate and Multnomah County Courthouse were also targeted by violent groups. None of this should sit well with any thinking Portlander. To those participating in violence, I want to be clear: I denounce your actions. Law enforcement will do everything possible to find you and hold you accountable. We all agree racial justice is past due, but I absolutely denounce the violence and criminal destruction.”
https://www.portland.gov/wheeler/new...m-and-violence

I think the attack on the Oregon Historical Society was the last straw for Portland's "normal" liberals. That hits the NPR set; they've had it. I don't even think these criminals are interested in the racial issues. Their mug shots don't exactly look like college educated NPR listeners. They look like trashy thugs. They're just using racial justice angle as an excuse.

Again, for the record this isn't just happening in Portland. A guy in Roseburg was charged with the same crime for doing something very similar to the RNC headquarters there about 3 weeks ago. My recommendation to any business is to install cameras. That's how they're catching these guys.

Last edited by redguard57; 11-26-2020 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-26-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousoutsider View Post
This is a fair question. I pick on the Mayor after watching the debate where both candidates were so focused on the police tactics, the actual criminals were just a footnote but this is far more than 1 guy.

I agree every city has idiots. Just like every religion has zealots and every ethnicity has criminals. The question is, how do the rest of the people in the city respond to the idiots?

I'm not sure how much influence the Mayor has in some of these matters or if it is more of the DA. To a large extent I think it's the general mood of the populous so desperately determined to be woke they make excuses for vandals. I've never heard a group of people so obsessed with white supremacists. Are there really that many in Portland? I don't mean because someone told you there are, but an honest question to the people in the Portland area, do you really know these white supremacists? Do you work with them?

To answer your question I wouldn't be so quick to release people who were caught in the net when cops were clashing with protestors. Contrary to conventional belief, the cops don't just randomly grab people. Usually the people they arrest were doing something to get the attention of the cops, at night, in the middle of bedlam. Still with the presumption of innocence but there is usually enough video to make a fair judgment.

Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt, leaning on a group of community representatives he called his transition team, announced Tuesday that his office will drop most of the charges filed against protesters in Portland.

His prosecutors won’t pursue demonstrators accused of interfering with police, disorderly conduct, criminal trespass, escape or harassment if the allegations don’t involve “deliberate’' property damage, theft or force against another person or threats of force, Schmidt said.

I would do all I could to hold cops accountable who are out of line, but I would not support the narrative that cops in general are racist, or assume a cop to be guilty based on his skin color, or the color of the person he clashed with. Saying cops must be out of line based on number of arrests of different ethnicities is no better than the old days when we assumed suspects to be guilty based on the number of an ethnicity who have been arrested for crimes.

And prepare yourself for this one. If a crowd won't disperse after several clear warnings to disperse, I would send the cops in batons a swinging and stand behind their actions.
I think we should make sure we're distinguishing protestors who were involved in the larger demonstrations earlier in the year, the harder core of BLM protestors who are continuing and sonetimes aggressive & obnoxious, but not violent, then Antifa who make it a point to confront any right wing activism & occasionally scuffle, and then the criminal vandalism ring that's smashing the windows of bank branches and stuff like that. They're not all one and the same.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousoutsider View Post
True. Although Antifa is more than just a counter activist group. You give them too much credit. The line gets a little blurry at times. Especially after dark.

Get a cause with more moral foundation than just anger. Make your voice heard in a way that doesn't trample the rights of others and helps move public opinion in your favor. Respect that cops have a job to do and treat them as you wish to be treated. Go home at dark.

That may sound like old white guy talk, because it is, but had any group done more of this consistently they might find they actually moved the needle in their direction.
I agree there is some overlap between Antifa and the criminal vandals. How much overlap is not clear.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:18 PM

2,264 posts, read 975,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I agree there is some overlap between Antifa and the criminal vandals. How much overlap is not clear.
It’s not clear because they’re all dressed head to toe in black, wearing masks and spray painting the same political slogans on buildings they’ve vandalized.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:24 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,892,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
It’s not clear because they’re all dressed head to toe in black, wearing masks and spray painting the same political slogans on buildings they’ve vandalized.
Hmm ,two groups wearing the same colors. Could be the same gang ?.A thinking person would say yes.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:47 AM

5,469 posts, read 8,200,718 times
The Rose City Downtown Collective is formed to ask the politicians to do something about the deterioration of the Portland city center:

“We have a vested interest in seeing downtown Portland rehabilitated after reckoning with COVID 19 and night after night of criminal destruction. Our elected city officials have failed to help while taking little to no accountability in their role of the rapid dilapidation of our great city center.”

https://www.rosecitydowntowncollective.com

Oregonian article: https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...-inaction.html

Old 12-11-2020, 12:59 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,905,196 times
Antifa attacks, robs Portland TV news crew in new "autonomous zone": https://vidmax.com/video/200081-port...utonomous-zone

But I guess because they're "anti-fascist" this action is justified?

Old 12-11-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Antifa attacks, robs Portland TV news crew in new "autonomous zone": https://vidmax.com/video/200081-port...utonomous-zone

But I guess because they're "anti-fascist" this action is justified?
LOL the guy at the end, "Call the cops! Go file a police report and see how useful they are!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland