Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 05:32 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Oh please. If you're being "put down" for wearing a skirt you need to either get out more, develop a thicker skin or stop assuming that it's about the skirt. These generalizations are ridiculous. I've never once felt "put down" or "dissed" when wearing a skirt or dress. I see women wearing skirts and dresses every day. I think you're assuming a lot.
If that were true there would not be any other women on this thread saying what I'm saying. I've had more than one discussion with other women on this issue. I even had one young woman come up to me on the street and say "I think you're so brave to dress like that, I could never do that in Portland." It's a real phenomenon, whether or not it's happened to you.

And putting someone down or telling someone to "get out more" isn't terribly "tolerant" I would say. I get out quite a bit-- that's why I'm able to report back these experiences. If that doesn't fit your experience, that's fine, but the dissing is not required and, I hope, not acceptable on this forum. Opinions differ, just as personal styles do, and ought to be shown respect.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM

108 posts, read 469,956 times
Time to start talking about the weather again...

Old 06-13-2008, 09:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Yeah, let's start talking about how cloudy it was today...oh, wait, that was yesterday..either way, it doesn't reliablistically matter. I do need to reinspectify my attitude and be more toleritious of others. I totally screwed up by going to law school...

Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
I even had one young woman come up to me on the street and say "I think you're so brave to dress like that, I could never do that in Portland." It's a real phenomenon, whether or not it's happened to you.

\
What exactly are you wearing? I have yet to meet anyone who feels he or she can't dress a certain way in Portland. I live downtown and there are nicely dressed people all over the place. It's normal.

You said you live in Columbia County, which is fairly far from Portland proper....you also mentioned how "redneck" it is from your perspective. Perhaps it's where you live?

Last edited by oldtintype; 06-13-2008 at 11:43 PM..

Old 06-14-2008, 01:52 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,902 times
Quote:
Dissing women who choose to express themselves in ways that are not "Portland standard style" is EXACTLY the problem here. It has nothing whatsoever to do with feminism. Wearing a heel or a skirt has absolutely no relationship to one's political views at all. Only in Portland have I ever encountered anyone who suggested a link between the two.
You put that very well. I've experienced the same thing here.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Yeah, let's start talking about how cloudy it was today...oh, wait, that was yesterday..either way, it doesn't reliablistically matter. I do need to reinspectify my attitude and be more toleritious of others. I totally screwed up by going to law school...
Definitely Portland (orygun tolerance exemplified)

Babes are in the eyes (and hearts) of beholder, glad it goes beyond the 'facade'

Just be true to yourself and it will go a long ways.
Skirts, scowl-y faces, wool socks with sandals, ...What-ever ... but do be yourself.

Toronto is another place that you can feel real out of place with your attire.

I expect we'll get though this when the 'open-minds' get their say...

Old 06-14-2008, 03:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I can tell you guys think its cute to go on and on about how poorly PDX rates in the babe department. Remember all the fun you are having now dissing your fairer sex counterparts when the karma comes back to bite you you know where. Altogether now: "Another Saturday Night and I ain't got nobody, I got some money 'cause I just got paid, Oh how I wish I had someone to talk to (yeah, right), I'm in an awful way... -Cat Stevens

Old 06-14-2008, 09:18 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Leisestrum...one of my musical idols.

Anyway, where are the little firestarters, who are now listed as runaways, run, run, runaways??? (don't know who wote or sung that one). Start a pssng match, then sit back and watch...

Ms.(?) Scone...HOLY COW, please reread my post. I said men trashing women, then women jumping on the band wagon and trashing women (because of their alleged lack of femininity) is a cliche. You are mixing up paragraphs, which have different subject matters. And if you choose to diss other women by commenting on their lack of femininity, then, yes, it is cattiness. THAT'S A CLICHE. And a women wearing a skirt makes a [DEFENSE] lawyer not want to put a woman on a jury? WHERE DID I SAY THAT???? Stop making stuff up. It's not nice. Separate paragraphs, separate subject matters.

And, the conversation belongs in the Fashion section. That is my opinion, doesn't make it fact. There is a difference. Don't take disagreement so personally. It would be a good thing if you'd respect others' opinions as much as you respect your own.

Hey there, Janb, never said I was tolerant of women trashing other women, or men trashing women, or men trashing men. Nope. Not in the least. I sincerely doubt that ANYONE cares what anyone wears, unless they've got some kind of agenda to prove...Nope, my mind is a completely closed book...Go Portland!!!!!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 AM
GB1

116 posts, read 428,096 times
Quote:
I get a lot of negative attention, usually from other women, when I put on a dress or skirt. And I'm no looker, and not even all that girly. And forget jewelry. Wearing anything more than a wedding band and a sports watch gets me some mean "urge to kill" looks-- and the stuff I wear isn't expensive, just fun.

Dressing is a form of self expression, for me, it has nothing to do with attracting guys or showing off. I just like "composing" an outfit with various colors and fabrics. It seems to me, if you don't dress according to the granola/hiker/bicyclist image, you get dissed. The local culture prides itself on "toleration," but only if you conform to the prevailing norm. It can be stifling, really, not "tolerant" at all.
Wow. This happened to a friend's wife, and I'd thought it was just unfortunate; I had no idea it happened to other women in Portland.

My friend's wife is from New England and dresses a bit more formally than the prevailing norm in Portland - tweed jackets and skirts, etc. It seems to be what makes her comfortable.

Anyway, she had gone to a business function with people and spouses from her husband's office, and one of the women said "Nice outfit" (in a nasty way, designed to make her feel bad). Then a couple of others chimed in and asked "Cathie, why do you always dress like that?" They ended up leaving the dinner; when she told me about it later, she said it was like something out of eighth grade where the popular girls cull someone from the herd.

That said - I'm not going to jump on the train of bashing the women of Portland for the way they look. I knew a lot more savvy, well-put-together women there who couldn't find a good guy than the other way around.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
It's not just a women thing. Anyone who takes care of themselves stands out like a sore thumb. I grew up there. When my wife and I go back people literally stare at us like we are from another planet. It's not that we are super attractive, but we have tans (not fake and bake, we just occassionly see the sun in San Diego), we stay in shape, and wear nice clothes. People just don't take very good care of themselves up there on the whole. I lived there breifly after college and was amazed at how few women looked feminine. If you think I'm being ridiculous, just go to any major metro area in California, the South, or even the Northeast and compare how women take care of their apperances compared to Portland. It's night and day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: